website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2019

Just now, heywoodu said:

About languages: I simply like to at the very least be able to recognize words in whatever I listen. Doesn't matter much if it's Dutch, English, Portuguese, German or even Spanish, Italian, French, Lithuanian, Estonian, Danish, Norwegian etc. My problem is with languages that have an entirely different system (think Chinese, Arabic and so on), which to me, who never learned those languages, just sounds like gibberish or random sounds. I can't really vote for a song of which the entire language to me sounds like nothing but random sounds, because I don't like listening to those songs, with very rare exceptions. Is that so criminal?

I found out that I can vote for any language even if it's just random sounds in my head. What I learned though from Arabic/Hindi entries is that I am nearly always immediately out when I hear that high vocal pitch with 150% vibrato going on for 3 minutes +. I remember one entry from Turkey that I really really loved, it was still the same language, but the woman just sang the song without her sounding like she was being shocked by an electric eel (hey, MGMT :hug:)

Just now, Werloc said:

I found out that I can vote for any language even if it's just random sounds in my head. What I learned though from Arabic/Hindi entries is that I am nearly always immediately out when I hear that high vocal pitch with 150% vibrato going on for 3 minutes +. I remember one entry from Turkey that I really really loved, it was still the same language, but the woman just sang the song without her sounding like she was being shocked by an electric eel (hey, MGMT :hug:)

High vocal pitch with 150% vibrato....any examples? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Gianlu33 said:

#NotInMyName

#NotMyTISC #ImpeachTISC #TestTISCsMind

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I gave my 12 points to a song where I did not understand a single word and I have no intention of ever learning the meaning of those lyrics. I loved the song and it means it’s own special thing to me. That’s it.

Loving music is not scientific, using science or logic to try to decide what song deserves your points is completely alien to me. I have zero systems when it comes to voting, simply listen over and over and see what I connect with. 

I did some research of my votes

2016 Annual: :DEN :RUS :FRA :GBR :AZE (12 pt song was in English)

2016 Open: :ARG :DEN :BRA :AZE :ALG (Spanish)

2017 Annual: :RUS :GBR :BRA :POR :IRL (Russian)

2017 Open: :LTU :MEX :IRL :CHI :DEN (this was very good edition, Lithuanian song was in Lithuanian and still listen to this song, know the lyrics by heart)

2018 Annual: :BRA :ITA :IRL :EST :NED (in English)

2018 Open: :RUS :CHI :CAN :BRA :GBR (in Russian)

2019 Annual: :POL :NED :LTU :SLO :MEX (in English, the first time after 2014 I gave point to Poland ea all)

2019 Open: :GBR :LTU :BRA :ARG :DEN (in English)

Most top 5 finishes:

BRA 5

GBR 4

DEN 4

RUS 3

IRL 3

LTU 3

Looks like I am more addicted to Brazilian music than British :p 

However, USA are yet to get single point from me. Just like I am waiting for a point from USA :lol: 

PS I remember 2018 Open I gave Portugal 12 points (song was in Portuguese)

2 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I gave my 12 points to a song where I did not understand a single word and I have no intention of ever learning the meaning of those lyrics. I loved the song and it means it’s own special thing to me. That’s it.

Loving music is not scientific, using science or logic to try to decide what song deserves your points is completely alien to me. I have zero systems when it comes to voting, simply listen over and over and see what I connect with. 

Exactly.

13 hours ago, Werloc said:

BREAKING NEWS!

Are our memes dying?

Many would say that this TISC has been a success, but what the Danish hosts are not telling you is...................................

This TISC thread actually has the least pages of replies since Annual in 2016.

This may be partially blamed on @Agger for having claimed he has a life outside of this competition, thus not leaving approximately 100 replies during the day that would have kept them above Annual in 2017.

Shocking indeed...

trump fake news GIF

13 hours ago, Werloc said:

Yes, I have noticed one huge mistake. New Zealand should never be last in any music competition, like, ever. And that's coming from a man that did not give them a point in this edition :(

I would agree there. I think this is the first time I didn't give them any points (tough they were a reserve), but I believe that New Zealand is the country that has given me the most amazing songs that I didn't know before.

18 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

What I’m learning is that me and @Werloc have very similar music tastes. We should revive the committee to make sure the right songs win (though I lobe songs doing well right now so...). We also have very, very similar opinions about music @Werloc, and our voting criteria seems very similar too.

The committee never died. We were betrayed once but then showed our power by winning the contest!

Oh wait...

night drinking GIF