website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2019

33 minutes ago, Agger said:

Luckily we have plenty of sites to visit that isn't the Little Mermaid ;)

Are you sure? I’d go to Denmark to see Copenhill, the little mermaid statue, the really cool museum, and to eat some Scandinavian treats; and they fly to my real tourist destination :p

In all fairness, I’d love to visit Denmark and see some people I know there, and maybe try to find out about my families heritage (though I may have more luck Norway/Germany)

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

640px-T%C3%B8nder_Bahnhof_2.jpg

Tønder Station - Photo: Mef.ellingen - Wiki

We can now welcome @Function CR Lee, @Manulete and @mrv86 to Tønder, just North of the German border. This is hometown of this year’s Danish TISC Annual contestant, Jacob Dinesen.

The city goes back a long way, but the first signs of the city in literature is in fact the Arabian cartographer al-Idrisi who mentions the town in the 1100s. It became the first market town of Denmark when it got its rights in 1243 with trade happening from the original harbor. With the close proximity to Germany the city saw plenty of trade and travel to and from Germany. However to prevent flooding, dykes were built meaning that Tønder isn’t by the sea any longer. Just like the rest of southern Jutland, Tønder was German from 1864 to 1920. Nowadays Tønder is most well known for it’s annual Music Festival, Tønder Festival with folk music as main genre. Among the acts on this year’s festival was former TISC participant Hudson Taylor.

639px-Tondern%2C_Fussgaengerzone.jpg

Tønder -  Photo: Clemensfranz - Wiki

Tønder isn’t that much of a sports city. The best handball team, TM Tønder Håndbold, was however in the best series for a couple of years.’Former football national team Henning Munk Jensen is however from Tønder.

640px-T%C3%B8nder-Museum.jpg

Tønder Museum and Water tower - Photo: Jürgen Howaldt - Wiki

Even though Tønder is a rather small city, we’ll make sure that you will have ways to spend your time here. We have a fine museum of cultural history, a nice exhibition of chairs from the famous designer Hans Wegner, plenty of beautiful nature, lots of historical buildings and several lovely towns nearby.

Edited by Agger

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Are you sure? I’d go to Denmark to see Copenhill, the little mermaid statue, the really cool museum, and to eat some Scandinavian treats; and they fly to my real tourist destination :p

That's sort of what we did in 2001: drive to Denmark, stay there for a day or two to see Legoland and then drove up north and took a ferry to go to Norway and Sweden for two weeks :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I find it interesting how the first mention of some Danish town is in some Arab cartographer's work :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!