website statistics

Men's American Football NFL 2019

Gianlu33

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Suspension for a 49ers announcer because he dared to use dark skin as a factor in analyzing a certain situation in a game (dark skin, dark uniform and dark ball making it hard to see the ball). Talk about overreacting in the land of the free :lol:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/49ers-announcer-tim-ryan-suspended-over-dark-skin-comment-about-n1096376

It was a dumb comment, and probably actually racially motivated, so whatever.

I know I joke about everything being political, but that’s pretty much becoming true in the US right now. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

It was a dumb comment

A comment that potentially makes sense when looking at it from a calmer point of view instead of immediately shooting into some "OMG CAN'T SAY THAT" kind of mode. If someone has an all dark figure (skin + clothes), and this person is holding something dark as well, said dark object can indeed be significantly harder to spot in a fast-paced situation. Just like if someone has an all white figure (whiter than someone's skin generally is + bright white clothes) and they'd be holding a white football, that one would be harder to spot as well.

But well, the answer to something like that is generally just a blind "Can't say that!".

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It was a dumb comment, and probably actually racially motivated, so whatever.

I know I joke about everything being political, but that’s pretty much becoming true in the US right now. 

it was just a consideration about an obvious situation...

I think you (most of the Americans, I mean...not you, personally) are really obsessed with this racial things...saying that someone who has black skin actually has black skin is not racism...:finger:

it's the opposite of Italy, where we actually have a true racism problem and we do everything to hide it below the carpet...:facepalm:

Edited by phelps

5 hours ago, phelps said:

it was just a consideration about an obvious situation...

I think you (most of the Americans, I mean...not you, personally) are really obsessed with this racial things...saying that someone who has black skin actually has black skin is not racism...:finger:

it's the opposite of Italy, where we actually have a true racism problem and we do everything to hide it below the carpet...:facepalm:

The problem that everyone in the US is just tense about race, ethnicity, etc. right now. I do get what @heywoodu says above, but we’re just in a position to be making those kind of comments right now. Also, there’s so much more you could talk about than that, so it sucks he got “asked to leave”, but he also should have read the audience better. I do agree that Italy is in a much more dire situation than us right now. Though, depending on this next election, we may be in similar predicaments.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The problem that everyone in the US is just tense about race, ethnicity, etc. right now. I do get what @heywoodu says above, but we’re just in a position to be making those kind of comments right now. Also, there’s so much more you could talk about than that, so it sucks he got “asked to leave”, but he also should have read the audience better. I do agree that Italy is in a much more dire situation than us right now. Though, depending on this next election, we may be in similar predicaments.

Analyzing (one of the many) factors that could potentially contribute to someone's success - because the ball being less easy to spot possibly makes it harder to 'win' a play, even though the effect might not be very big - is exactly what he is supposed to be talking about. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Analyzing (one of the many) factors that could potentially contribute to someone's success - because the ball being less easy to spot possibly makes it harder to 'win' a play, even though the effect might not be very big - is exactly what he is supposed to be talking about. 

Look, all I’m saying is that I do communications for job (and will continue to do so in my professional career). It’s my job to know the audience, and know how to use language. Sometimes you just have to be smarter than that, even if you think it’s okay. I don’t think should’ve been fired (that’s clearly an overreaction). It should have been turned into a lesson about being more careful on air.

Sigh. Sure, ok :) 

10 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Look, all I’m saying is that I do communications for job (and will continue to do so in my professional career). It’s my job to know the audience, and know how to use language. Sometimes you just have to be smarter than that, even if you think it’s okay. I don’t think should’ve been fired (that’s clearly an overreaction). It should have been turned into a lesson about being more careful on air.

Bullshit. Liberals in the USA just love playing the race card, everyone who makes an "error of judgement" is automatically dismissed as racist and should be erased from people's memory. It's the right of way in the American society right now.

It's somewhat unfortunate that two MVP front runners right now are black. Russell Wilson is the most underrated QB in the league but the liberals are silent because they can't belittle a black QB as opposite to Jackson's hype. If Jackson was duelling with the likes of Brady or Bress then all bets would be off. Then again, Wilson can be shipped out the same way Jay Z was when he was accused by Kaepernick of selling out the black cause. Every God damn thing in America is political these days, guess the minorities are getting back for Jim Crow laws and whatever else. I'm just waiting until "Wendy's" brand gets shut down as "sexist" or "misogynist" or whatever else. That would put the icing on the cake :lol: