website statistics

Your Favorite Opening Ceremonies

Olympian1010

I thought it’s about time we talk about all the amazing opening ceremonies we’ve seen over the last few decades. Feel free to discuss anything about opening ceremonies below. There’s no rankings unless you wish to publish your own personal ones. This is a thread for the appreciation of opening ceremonies.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

My Personal Favorites/“Rankings”

Favorite Ceremonies Overall

1. Baku 2015 - Hello Azerbaijani culture. Just an amazing masterpiece all around. One of the highlights of the 1st ever European Games. I love everything about this ceremony. The dress changes to form carpet patterns. Lady Gaga’s performance of “Imagine”. The “Europa” segment with the mini stories. Europa and Bull. The really cherry on top is the last 20 minutes the ceremony. Plus, the most recognizable and unique caldrons of all time. 100/100

2. Rio 2016 - Nothing more Brazilian has ever existed. It was a lower budget production than the others on this list. I felt causal and slow like the rhythm of Brazil. It showed social chaos, and brought climate change to the forefront with what has become my favorite poem of all time. Also what a deserved moment for De Lima being the final torch bearer. The caldron was simple, yet unique and beautiful. 100/100

3. Jakarta/Palembang 2018 - The President of Indonesia is James Bond in his spare time. That opening dance number gave my chills. The placard bearers costumes for the parade of nations :wub:. Plus, the artificial waterfall :wub:. The artistic segment was just wonderful too. 100/100

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

For me it is Beijing 2008 by a distance for many reasons. But most of all I will never ever forget this magical moment when Li Ning was hoisted up to the roof of the stadium revealing the moving scroll as he made his way around the stadium with that really poignant music. And then the way the fire zipped around the cauldron and burst into flame. It was a beautifully artistic way of lighting the torch :)

Edit: sadly I can't copy the video here, but starting at 4:09:01

For Beijing wins other catagories, but just didn’t give me the same feelings as these other ceremonies did. The drum segment will always be the most memorable part of any opening ceremony of all time probably. I’m going to post some other category ranking lists later where Beijing will shine.

I really do just love Baku 2015’s ceremony though. (That burning man will always be the most memorable image from an opening ceremony)

I also love the beginning music here. What a great way to depict steppes culture:

For me the most important one was the London 2012 as it was the first one I covered live. Later on I did all Olympic and 2016 YOG, as well as some Universiade (including Summer 2017, which I did in media centre tent of... European Eventing Championships in Strzegom during cross).

Just now, Vojthas said:

For me the most important one was the London 2012 as it was the first one I covered live. Later on I did all Olympic and 2016 YOG, as well as some Universiade (including Summer 2017, which I did in media centre tent of... European Eventing Championships in Strzegom during cross).

The beginning of London 2012 is definitely the best ceremony segment of all time. I mean they really did portray 200 years of history in around 15 minutes and do a very good job of it. The pause for WW1 and WW2 gets me every time, especially since the entire crowd stands up to honor those lost.

Vancouver just beacuse it was about pure emotions, the whole atmosphere around Kumaritashvili´s tragedy was so strong, that I can not forget a single moment from this opening ceremony, the entry of Georgian delegation during the parade of nations with the black ribbon on flag was so touching + the fantastic version of Hallelujah is one of the moment I´ll remember the whole life, dude I had so strong goosebumbs during this song, I feel it like it was today..

But every opening ceremony had at least one unforgettable moment, Atlanta 1996 and the sequence of the Old greek sports behind that weird turning sheet or what it was, was at the time something huge. London 2012 had many great sequences, the industrial sequence is unforgettable, Beijing 2008 and that ship + drums sequence is also memorable, Torino 2006 and the Ferrari on ice, Lillehammer 1994 with the ski jumper with Olympic flame and also the first SVK delegation at the Olympics is something to remember strongly forever as well, Sochi 2014 and the epic failure of the 5th ring lol, Ri 2016 and the Gisele Bundchen moment... yummy...