website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

42 minutes ago, dcro said:

Chinese Taipei is named "Chinese" because of politics, so I don't see your point.

My point is that Taiwan should be allowed to call their nation what ever they want, without being threatened by IOC to be excluded from an international sport competition, because of a name. 

I'm sorry my point wasn't formulated clearly. 

Edited by wumo26

1 hour ago, wumo26 said:

POLITICS ALERT!!! ⚠️⚠️⚠️

Taiwan is due to vote on Saturday, November 24, on whether the island should compete as "Taiwan" and not "Chinese Taipei".

IOC warns Taiwan name-change could cost country right to compete at Tokyo 2020.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1072419/ioc-warns-taiwan-name-change-could-cost-country-right-to-compete-at-tokyo-2020

Politics and sports is like a dirty martini. Olives and olive juice should not be mixed with alcohol, but it still exist anyway. :stop:

They said "The IOC is hoping that the interest of the Olympic Movement in Chinese Taipei will prevail over political considerations"

So basically the term and concept of Chinese Taipei team isn't a "political consideration" for IOC :mumble:

21 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

They said "The IOC is hoping that the interest of the Olympic Movement in Chinese Taipei will prevail over political considerations"

So basically the term and concept of Chinese Taipei team isn't a "political consideration" for IOC :mumble:

Well, yes. Just like a concept of systematic doping isn't a "fair-play consideration" for IOC. :p

#banbestmen

2 ore fa, wumo26 ha scritto:

POLITICS ALERT!!! ⚠️⚠️⚠️

Taiwan is due to vote on Saturday, November 24, on whether the island should compete as "Taiwan" and not "Chinese Taipei".

IOC warns Taiwan name-change could cost country right to compete at Tokyo 2020.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1072419/ioc-warns-taiwan-name-change-could-cost-country-right-to-compete-at-tokyo-2020

Politics and sports is like a dirty martini. Olives and olive juice should not be mixed with alcohol, but it still exist anyway. :stop:

Maybe I don't know about what Taiwan means in Chinese language or whichever is used there, but it seems quite strange to me that IOC is complaining that Taiwan doesn't want to use the "Chinese" word in its name. It sounds to me like a way to solve the political problem of the area. 

28 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

Maybe I don't know about what Taiwan means in Chinese language or whichever is used there, but it seems quite strange to me that IOC is complaining that Taiwan doesn't want to use the "Chinese" word in its name. It sounds to me like a way to solve the political problem of the area. 

Taiwan is named Chinese Taipei in international sport, not Taiwan, and there lies the conflict. For China, Taiwan is a province of the Republic of China. For Taiwan, It is a sovereign state. "Chinese Taipei" was then chosen as an ambigious name for athletes living on/from the island of Taiwan back in 1979/81 to solve the political conflict. 

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your point.

Edited by wumo26

30 minuti fa, wumo26 ha scritto:

Taiwan is named Chinese Taipei in international sport, not Taiwan, and there lies the conflict. For China, Taiwan is a province of the Republic of China. For Taiwan, It is a sovereign state. "Chinese Taipei" was then chosen as an ambigious name for athletes living on/from the island of Taiwan back in 1979/81 to solve the political conflict. 

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your point.

Nono, you got the point and I knew about the story and the political situation of the country. It wasn’t clear to me that “Chinese” was a :CHN request, I always thought it was due to the fact that :TPE claimed Chinese lands. I thought that once the word Chinese was eliminated by the country name, it was accepted by everybody as a sort of “status quo istituzionalization”. Kind of naive, evidently...

Well as far as I’m concerned the legitimate Chinese government has rested in Taiwan since the 1950s. If it were up to me, I would allow them to call themselves the Republic of China.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

14 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well as far as I’m concerned the legitimate Chinese government has rested in Taiwan since the 1950s. If it were up to me, I would allow them to call themselves the Republic of China.

gettyimages-489585536.jpg

Edited by Dolby

22 hours ago, AlFHg said:

Yeah basically it's weird.. All these times they refused to use "Taiwan" and/or "Formosa" (remember the 'under protest' sign from Rome 1960?) since that implies the ROC is only controlling the Taiwan Island instead of the whole China. Now they sort of willing to back off, and IOC is making a fuss about it.

The reason why Chinese Taipei was accepted by ROC is the word 'Chinese' is somewhat ambiguous and have no clear sign of which area of control, as they say. Basically it's just saying "Hey we are the other China that based on Taipei!" So the Chinese Taipei is already having that 'status quo' thing as you mentioned.

6 horas atrás, Griff88 disse:

So the Chinese Taipei is already having that 'status quo' thing as you mentioned.

This is why I believe the IOC needs to discuss their position and demand that affiliated sports federation follow their rules if they want to be part of the Olympics.

Either the IOC accepts Macau, Faroe Islands, Tahiti, Gibraltar, New Caledonia and other few territories, or they end support altogether for dependent territories such as Aruba, Puerto Rico, Hong Kong, American Samoa, Guam and a few others. It bothers me to see swimmers from the Faroe Islands competing at the World Championships, or Tahiti at FIFA events, but when it comes to the Olympics the international federations suddenly pretend these territories do not exist. 

Great Britain's situation also bothers me a little. I don't care what sort of political scheme they got themselves into: if you are going to send four, five football teams to compete at the FIFA World Cup -- an event nearly as important as the Olympics -- have the balls to compete independently at the Olympics as well.

Then there's the case of Taiwan, Palestine and Kosovo. Palestine is an UN observer, so they should not be bothered. If we use the limited recognition bullshit, then we should reconsider allowing other states with limited recognition as well, including Israel, since the state is not recognized by other 31 UN members. The Kosovo situation is still a mess, and the IOC has jumped the gun by allowing them to compete, in my opinion. Taiwan is, well, a mess that was more or less sorted out, but now they want to open the can of worms again. It makes a lot more sense, historically, for them to ask for recognition than, say, Hong Kong, but it's still weird. I would leave things as they are, but if Taiwan is gone (for good) from the Olympics, I would not be sad and, in this case, I would still call for other territories to get the chop as well.

Edited by thiago_simoes