website statistics

Summer Youth Olympic Games 2026

Totallympics

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

"The IOC has also scrapped mixed National Olympic Committee events after some caused confusion for athletes and spectators at last year's Summer Youth Olympics in Buenos Aires"

:clap:

Greatest announcement in the history of the IOC!

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I actually don't like lead or speed that much so I'm happy.  Greco Roman being thrown out is awesome too. Badminton could have had both men's and women's doubles rather tennis. Futsal is not a great addition considering the organizers wanted Beach soccer.  

6 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

I actually don't like lead or speed that much so I'm happy.  Greco Roman being thrown out is awesome too. Badminton could have had both men's and women's doubles rather tennis. Futsal is not a great addition considering the organizers wanted Beach soccer.  

Yeah, Beach Soccer would make more sense, but then what’s the point of the WBG? Honestly, I wouldn’t be shocked if, in the next few decades, the IOC decided to create the Beach Olympic Games or the Urban Olympic Games. The YOG shows the IOC is moving in that direction. 

I’m sad the lead and speed climbers won’t have a chance.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, I don't think scrapping mixed-NOC events will do anything for YOG.

The real reason why they can't be taken seriously is ridiculously limited number of athletes, and even more ridiculous qualification systems. Oh, and the fact that they are mindlessly held every 4 years, meaning some generations can never even take part in them.

Youth Olympics are just milking their "Olympic" name, and that's basically all they have been from the start.

#banbestmen

43 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yeah, I don't think scrapping mixed-NOC events will do anything for YOG.

The real reason why they can't be taken seriously is ridiculously limited number of athletes, and even more ridiculous qualification systems. Oh, and the fact that they are mindlessly held every 4 years, meaning some generations can never even take part in them.

Youth Olympics are just milking their "Olympic" name, and that's basically all they have been from the start.

The new two-wave system actually is quite good. Much more quotas available, and higher international participation. I like the direction the IOC is going in for 2022. I do agree that they should most certainly be held every 2 years like the EYOF though.

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

The new two-wave system actually is quite good. Much more quotas available, and higher international participation. I like the direction the IOC is going in for 2022. I do agree that they should most certainly be held every 2 years like the EYOF though.

What does it mean? 2 wave system 

18 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

What does it mean? 2 wave system 

Without getting super technical and specific, and using the 2020 Winter YOG as an example. Here we go.

If you look up the Lausanne2020 schedule (on Wikipedia, or the website) something should stand out quickly. The games last 14 days, and sports only go for one week. So essentially half the sports are happening in week 1 and half in week 2 (expect for one or two that span the whole schedule). The athletes stay in the village the week their sport takes place. One day they move out, and the next “wave” moves in (I believe it’s a Sunday because there’s only like 1-3 events that day or something). So essentially the village can be smaller (saving the organizers money) and sports can have more athletes. In this edition countries could have qualified up to 3 Alpine skiers for example. In the last edition only 3-5 countries got 2 skiers and everyone else got one (and some countries got none). This system is new to IOC events, but many other games already use variants of this system. It allows them to increase participation, cut costs, and have a more sustainable business model.