Totallympics

Men's Tournament

3rd Phase, Final Standings

Pool I

:RUS Semenov / Leshukov, 3W - 0L

:ITA Nicolai / Lupo, 1W - 2L*

:POL Kantor / Losiak, 1W - 2L

:SUI Gerson / Heidrich, 1W - 2L

* :ITA qualified thanks to a better point ratio than their rivals with the same record in the head-to-head match-ups...

Pool J

:NED Brouwer / Meeuwsen, 2W - 1L

:LAT Plavins / Tocs, 2W - 1L

:BRA Andre / George, 1W - 2L

:NOR Berntsen / Mol, 1W - 2L

Edited by phelps

Just now, phelps said:

Women's Tournament

* :LAT & :GER qualified thanks to I don't know which absurd criteria (in the 3-way tie between :LAT, :GER & :ITA, the Italian pair have a better set & point ratio of the Germans, but still they're out of the tournament :mumble:)...

Should be total head-to-head points from comparing only those three pairs. LAT +5, GER -1, ITA -4

Men's Tournament

Final Qualification Play-Offs

:LAT Plavins / Tocs b. :RUS Semenov / Leshukov 2-1 (12-21; 22-20; 15-8)

:ITA Nicolai / Lupo b. :NED Brouwer / Meeuwsen 2-0 (21-17; 21-19)

:LAT & :ITA qualified to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games

Edited by phelps

Just now, LowerSaxony said:

Should be total head-to-head points from comparing only those three pairs. LAT +5, GER -1, ITA -4

Wait, so if the Italians had lost on purpose the 2nd set against GER once reached 19 points instead of winning it they would have advanced? :facepalm:

Just now, Dunadan said:

Wait, so if the Italians had lost on purpose the 2nd set against GER once reached 19 points instead of winning it they would have advanced? :facepalm:

probably they didn't even know this rule...I'm pretty sure they thought about winning (to close the door to every other option) or, at worst, they had to count on the set & then point ratio...

otherwise, if they knew that rule, they Marta, Viktoria and all of their coaches are just a bunch of idiots (hopefully they will qualify in any case through the WR, but if this was their only chance, I just can't believe they made such a "tactical" mistake)...

p.s. fivb rules for tie-breaking suck big time! once again...

27 minutes ago, phelps said:

probably they didn't even know this rule...I'm pretty sure they thought about winning (to close the door to every other option) or, at worst, they had to count on the set & then point ratio...

otherwise, if they knew that rule, they Marta, Viktoria and all of their coaches are just a bunch of idiots (hopefully they will qualify in any case through the WR, but if this was their only chance, I just can't believe they made such a "tactical" mistake)...

p.s. fivb rules for tie-breaking suck big time! once again...

I had a look on YouTube and they were simply outsmarted by the Germans, who needed a few minutes of "medical assistance" at 20-19 and then threw away the set with a service fault.

Yeah, rules that allows this to happen suck big time.

Just now, Dunadan said:

I had a look on YouTube and they were simply outsmarted by the Germans, who needed a few minutes of "medical assistance" at 20-19 and then threw away the set with a service fault.

Yeah, rules that allows this to happen suck big time.

still, if Marta & Viki had won the match, we wouldn't be here thinking about the rules...;)

Just now, EselTheDonkey said:

Heaving as a first tie breaker the matches against each other is not that unusual. It's done at Football European Championships as well, for example.

I'm talking about giving more importance to points difference rather than set difference (or ratio)...that creates situations where losing a set is better than winning it.

ITA-GER 1-2 (15-21, 21-19, 9-15) = GER advance.

If it ended 0-2 (15-21, 19-21) ITA would have advanced (that's why the Germans threw the 2nd set imo). But ok, that's the rule and so be it.