website statistics

Rhythmic Gymnastics FIG World Championships 2019

Totallympics

On 17/09/2019 at 13:23, thiago_simoes said:

Random thoughts so far:

1) The tiaras worn by the Russians are tacky, overly pretentious and add nothing to their routines.

This is of course only a 2000's movie fueled theory, but perhaps, only perhaps, FIG has just given the boot to Mamma Viner, so she "randomly" put some bombs on those crowns, so the all around final be a tribute to the 1812 overture.

So if I were Linoy Ashram (or another of the finalists) I would fake an injury in order to stay as far as possible from the Averinas.

:MKD finished way ahead of :SRI, so now even I started to doubt about Sri Lanka's chances of a wildcard quota. North Macedonia's gymnast lives and trains in Bulgaria, so it's easy to understand why she finished first. The Sri Lankan gymnast is actually Canadian. :SMR Lucia Castiglioni is the only one who was born in her represented nation among the top 3 nations eligible for the tripartite invitation. Whoever they choose, it will be a bittersweet choice for many reasons.

As I predicted, no team medal for :ITA this time. Scores with ribbon were too low for their level, so :BLR took their chances and earned the bronze medal. :ISR was able to keep the high level until the very end, and I am very surprised with their performances. 

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

:MKD finished way ahead of :SRI, so now even I started to doubt about Sri Lanka's chances of a wildcard quota. North Macedonia's gymnast lives and trains in Bulgaria, so it's easy to understand why she finished first. The Sri Lankan gymnast is actually Canadian. :SMR Lucia Castiglioni is the only one who was born in her represented nation among the top 3 nations eligible for the tripartite invitation. Whoever they choose, it will be a bittersweet choice for many reasons.

As I predicted, no team medal for :ITA this time. Scores with ribbon were too low for their level, so :BLR took their chances and earned the bronze medal. :ISR was able to keep the high level until the very end, and I am very surprised with their performances. 

It'll be interesting to see who the tripartite commission selects. :MKD and :SRI would prefer shooting and weightlifting respectively while :SMR already qualified normally in its preferred sport (shooting). After that they may want to go for men's archery over women's rhythmic gymnastics, which funny enough they are also competing with :SRI for. Of course, nations can win multiple tripartite quotas (I remember :IRQ winning four of them in 2012, ignoring athletics and swimming)

8 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It'll be interesting to see who the tripartite commission selects. :MKD and :SRI would prefer shooting and weightlifting respectively while :SMR already qualified normally in its preferred sport (shooting). After that they may want to go for men's archery over women's rhythmic gymnastics, which funny enough they are also competing with :SRI for. Of course, nations can win multiple tripartite quotas (I remember :IRQ winning four of them in 2012, ignoring athletics and swimming)

I think :SRI has an outside shot at qualifying in archery, as a lot of Asian countries have already qualified.

I hope :MKD gets the quota honestly. They had the best competitor and they don’t often get many opportunities like this. :SRI would be okay too, but in all honestly she’s not truly Sri Lankan. She’s had most support than others on the list. I was hoping for :AND but they flopped, so maybe :SMR has a chance too.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela