website statistics

Rhythmic Gymnastics FIG World Championships 2019

Totallympics

:BLR:BUL:ISR:ITA:RUS:UKR:USA all qualified two individual gymnasts... :yikes:

Really bad news for universality. Last time around only Belarus and Russia had two starters, so with this we effectivelly lose no less than 5 nations. Frankly, I don't think rhythmic gymnastics can afford that...

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Really bad news for universality. Last time around only Belarus and Russia had two starters, so with this we effectivelly lose no less than 5 nations. Frankly, I don't think rhythmic gymnastics can afford that...

All the subjectively judged sports need to leave the Olympics. Or they need to have a much more strict judging system than “artistic impression”

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Benolympique said:

What countries can qualify for the Olympic Games as a whole for the latest competitions? Thank you

Qualified nations: :RUS :ITA :BUL :JPN :BLR :ISR :CHN :AZE :UKR

Continental quotas still to be decided:

Europe: 1 quota; top 3 favorites: :FIN :EST :ESP
Asia: 1 quota; top 3 favorites: :UZB :PRK :KAZ

Americas: 1 quota; top 3 favorites: :USA :MEX :BRA
Oceania: 1 quota; 2 nations will decide the quota, :AUS and :NZL

Africa: 1 quota; favorite nation for the quota: :EGY (really, no other country comes even remotely close to Egypt)

Just now, dcro said:

The difference is that in 2016 only nations with two individual gymnasts in the top 10 were allowed to send both gymnasts to the Olympics. If this rule were still in place, we would have :RUS :ITA and :USA with two gymnasts; :BLR :BUL :ISR and :UKR would lose one quota, while :SLO :GEO :UZB and :HUN would be guaranteed one quota (and :ESP also, considering the host nation quota reallocation). This would have been a lot better, in my opinion, for the sport.

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

All the subjectively judged sports need to leave the Olympics. Or they need to have a much more strict judging system than “artistic impression”

I believe the only sport with a specific score for artistic impression is artistic swimming. Not sure if equestrian (dressage) has it, and diving is completely crazy with its scoring system. In rhythmic gymnastics there are deductions related to artistic performance, but these are not exactly deal-breakers if the overall execution and, especially, difficulty, are on point. In artistic gymnastics there are also deductions related to artistic performance, but only in a couple of events: floor and beam. And, once again, if execution and difficulty are good enough, artistic deductions are not a big deal (the American gymnasts have mostly bad artistic performances in my opinion, but they still win gold).

Edited by thiago_simoes

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

My point was about the apparent exclusivity of this sport. I don't agree with such blanket statements, especially given that pretty much every Olympic sport is being subjectively judged at some point...

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

My point was about the apparent exclusivity of this sport. I don't agree with such blanket statements, especially given that pretty much every Olympic sport is being subjectively judged at some point...

Yes but the difference is that sports like Taekwondo have electronic scoring systems, and score challenges, and a strict code of points that’s easy enough to understand. I don’t have too many problems with Artistic Gym, but Rhythmic Gym, Kata, Poomsae, Diving, Artistic Swim, etc. always have questionable and debatable scoring.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Qualified nations: :RUS :ITA :BUL :JPN :BLR :ISR :CHN :AZE :UKR

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ukraine still can qualify from the by winning Europe's continental quota (their only real challenge will come from Finland), in which case USA should take the unused host spot right?

Very suspicious indeed, that they were only .100 over Mexico, who granted weren't at their best in their first routine, and that Brazil was severely underscored in their second routine... it seems US Gym will now try to bribe the people in charge of trampoline, so misteriously, their gymnasts start displacing the Canadians from the top position in the continent.

So now, sadly, Mexico and Brazil will go head to head trying to qualify for the American continent.

Just now, mrv86 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ukraine still can qualify from the by winning Europe's continental quota (their only real challenge will come from Finland), in which case USA should take the unused host spot right?

Very suspicious indeed, that they were only .100 over Mexico, who granted weren't at their best in their first routine, and that Brazil was severely underscored in their second routine... it seems US Gym will now try to bribe the people in charge of trampoline, so misteriously, their gymnasts start displacing the Canadians from the top position in the continent.

So now, sadly, Mexico and Brazil will go head to head trying to qualify for the American continent.

According to a FIG's official document (here) Ukraine has not officially qualified, but they don't really need to do anything else. If they compete at the Europeans, then maybe you're right and the US will get the quota, I guess. But then, if the US gets the quota through the WC and finishes first at the Pan Ams, what will happen? Will the quota be awarded to Mexico, then?