website statistics

Skateboarding WS Park World Championships 2019

Totallympics

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Women’s Gymnastics and Figure Skating would no longer exist if that first point was true.

Yeah, Shaun White is a good skater, but he’s not that good. I swear if he makes the final.

well, right now he's second in his heat with a score of 82, which could be enough...

meanwhile our X-Games chmpion, Ivan Federico, must have something not working properly...after yesterday's escape in the quarters, also today had a really poor performance...dead last in the same heat of Shaun White with 75.33, which of course isn't enough to go further ahead in the competition...:facepalm:

Men advancing to the Final

1 :BRA Pedro Barros
2 :AUS Keegan Palmer
3 :USA Thomas Schaar
4 :USA Heimana Reynolds
5 :BRA Luiz Francisco
6 :BRA Pedro Quintas
7 :BRA Mateus Hiroshi
8 :USA Tate Carew

Full Semifinals Results:

http://www.worldskate.org/skateboarding/results/category/656-wc-park-sao-paulo-2019-results.html?download=3990:sao-paulo-park-world-championship-men-semifinal-results

awful, awful tv/streaming production...they didn't even show the score of the last Okamoto's run nor a recap of the final results...:yikes::facepalm::wall:

now I'm curious to see how long it takes for worldskate to publish those final results on their website...

a new Olympic sport with such a media/spectator unfriendly coverage...shame on them! :redcard::spank::thumbdown:

14 hours ago, phelps said:

I mean, here we are close to a form of "sport pedophilia"...

Wait, what?

While I agree that there should be an age limit for every sport, or no age restrictions at all (what pretty much makes the Youth Olympics an useless event, even more than it already is), what's the point between young girls competing and pedophilia? 

12 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Wait, what?

While I agree that there should be an age limit for every sport, or no age restrictions at all (what pretty much makes the Youth Olympics an useless event, even more than it already is), what's the point between young girls competing and pedophilia? 

it's an exagerated expression to say that these boys are forced to live their sport experience in a way that only the adults around them benefit of their performance...

I'm pretty sure that for those kids being that good often means to overtrain, even when they don't want...and I'm also sure that they don't realize (at least at 100%) all the business sh*t that's behind them...

moreover, there's always the chance that they are forced to pursuit other people's dreams, sacrifying too much of their youth and education (that's why I called it "a sort of sport pedophilia", without -I hope- going further to real pedophilia dramas like it happened in sports like gymnastics, but not only gymnastics -another reason to put some strong limit to some strange relationships between the boys/girls and adults outside the family -but even inside it)...

preventing rather than healing (when sometimes a true healing process is impossible)...we have already too many examples of things gone wrong, to afford not to think about the worst case scenarios...

Edited by phelps

2 hours ago, phelps said:

moreover, there's always the chance that they are forced to pursuit other people's dreams, sacrifying too much of their youth and education (that's why I called it "a sort of sport pedophilia", without -I hope- going further to real pedophilia dramas like it happened in sports like gymnastics, but not only gymnastics -another reason to put some strong limit to some strange relationships between the boys/girls and adults outside the family -but even inside it)...

I still don't get why you create suck a link between pedophilia and young girls competing. I know it may be harsh on their bodies both physically and emotionally, and that they may be forced to pursue other people's dreams, but pedophilia refers to sexual excitement towards children, and this has nothing to do with young girls competing in a sport. I mean, I understand your point, but if one wants to protect children from potential predators, one would lock children at home until they reach 18. It's important to discuss the effects of being a world champion at 11 on her mind, but maybe worrying about sexual predators being attracted to this sport is a bit too much.

20 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I still don't get why you create suck a link between pedophilia and young girls competing. I know it may be harsh on their bodies both physically and emotionally, and that they may be forced to pursue other people's dreams, but pedophilia refers to sexual excitement towards children, and this has nothing to do with young girls competing in a sport. I mean, I understand your point, but if one wants to protect children from potential predators, one would lock children at home until they reach 18. It's important to discuss the effects of being a world champion at 11 on her mind, but maybe worrying about sexual predators being attracted to this sport is a bit too much.

the problem it's not the girls competing...it's the boys and girls of that age competing with adult people and being part of a "dark world" as the one behind this kind of activity excercised in a professional way...

I used that word because it hits immediately the attention and reminds to the worst things, but I just wanted to say that's insane to expose children of that age to the danger of overtraining, public overexposure, doubtful personal relationships (like those developing between certain coaches and too young pupils) and the effect that all this could have on them (mentally and not only mentally...think about a 12-year boy leaving the school and his friends for 2 or 3 years to pursuit "the Olympic dream" -often the dream of his parents rather than his- and which consequence it could have on him)...

if you prefer, we can even use other words (even 3-line long paraphrasis) to describe the situation...

but still the main problem remains that I'm totally against this "age deregulation" in certain sports...to me, 11/12 year old boys and girls should just go to school and play with friends, not running a professional acitvity (but, as I wrote, maybe I'm too heavily influence by the Italian culture, which tends to delay every aspect of people's life if compared with many other areas in the World)...

quite surprising outcome in the men's final...both heavy favourites (Schaar and Barros) didn't even make the podium...:yikes:

and another bitter 4th place for Australia, after they got the "wooden medal" also in the girls' event yesterday...:facepalm:

men's Final

Gold: :USA Heimana Reynolds

Silver: :BRA Luiz Francisco

Bronze: :BRA Pedro Quintas

4th, :AUS Keegan Palmer

5th, :USA Thomas Schaar

6th, :BRA Pedro Barros

7th, :USA Tate Carew

8th, :BRA Mateus Hiroshi