website statistics

Men's Boxing AIBA World Championships 2019

Totallympics

I see the 63kg division (named light in the Olympic qualification system and team delegations handbook) has become light welter and light in yesterday's documents (respective examples here and here). What's that about?

Had another look and it appears they've called the 57kg division bantam and feather as well. :facepalm: (The latter is the current Olympic name)

Edited by Edvid

4 hours ago, Edvid said:

I see the 63kg division (named light in the Olympic qualification system and team delegations handbook) has become light welter and light in yesterday's documents (respective examples here and here). What's that about?

Had another look and it appears they've called the 57kg division bantam and feather as well. :facepalm: (The latter is the current Olympic name)

This is why every division in every sport with weight classes should just be called by it's weight rather than some sort of confusing name like bantam, feather or welter.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Indian Perspective for these games

Our Tokyo Prospects are mainly on 3 sports - Shooting , Boxing and Wrestling 

Shooting has seen a spectacular improvement in the last couple of years , so to boxing now let us see how they do 

Mens Boxing has been a bugbear for us - they are Good but not great -   tend to have 4-5 Quarter finalists and then a spectacular fall - Just 0-1 in the semis and then no one in the Finals ( we have never won a gold or silver at the world champs ) , is it a defeatist attitude , poor last mile fine tuning or just that we are not an AIBA " favored " nation I never understood ............

So I am looking at this squad to do better .......

1. The squad is a very new look squad with a lot of the usual boxers - Shiva , Manoj , Vikas etc not there , I think that is positive sign both from a selection angle and that there is new blood coming in 

2. We have 3 seeded Boxers with Amit seeded second as the highest so that is again positive

Hoping for at least 2 medals and hopefully one boxer in the finals 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

8 hours ago, Edvid said:

it's because those 2 weights have been created by merging the old bantam+feather (it was 54 and 57) and the old Lightweights+light welterweights (it was 60 and 64) to cut from 10 to 8 the total number of weight classes...

therefore, as they don't have an official name for the new classes, there's some confusion within the media, calling the new weights with one or the other old name indifferently...

that's why I agree at 100% with @heywoodu...they should just name them by their actual weight limit and stop...:evil::pope:

I mean, the names are absolutely relative...for instance, to me 91kg are small men, just like flyweights :yikes::rofl::facepalm:

Just now, phelps said:

it's because those 2 weights have been created by merging the old bantam+feather (it was 54 and 57) and the old Lightweights+light welterweights (it was 60 and 64) to cut from 10 to 8 the total number of weight classes...

therefore, as they don't have an official name for the new classes, there's some confusion within the media, calling the new weights with one or the other old name indifferently...

that's why I agree at 100% with @heywoodu...they should just name them by their actual weight limit and stop...:evil::pope:

I mean, the names are absolutely relative...for instance, to me 91kg are small men, just like flyweights :yikes::rofl::facepalm:

And I'm a little used to pro boxing, where at least one thing is simple: "Oh, heavyweights, the heaviest guys, how easy :)"

Along comes amateur boxing: "No, wait, we have heavier guys than the heaviest guys, super heavyweights!"

Uuugh. I'm waiting for the mega super heavyweights.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

And I'm a little used to pro boxing, where at least one thing is simple: "Oh, heavyweights, the heaviest guys, how easy :)"

Along comes amateur boxing: "No, wait, we have heavier guys than the heaviest guys, super heavyweights!"

Uuugh.

yeah...frankly I've never been able to understand that classification...it looks so stupid...:facepalm: