website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics FIG World Championships 2019

hckošice

44 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

This qualification system is so confusing that I am completely lost.

Can a country qualify two gymnasts, one through the all-around competition and one through the event finals? I thought that each nation could either have a full team, or one gymnast. 

The new qualification system allows up to seven individuals to compete (but they can't form a team). Funny enough if a nation qualifies a team the maximum athletes they could qualify is six.

Of course, the chances of a nation having that many good athletes and not qualify a team is low.

Just now, dcro said:

One wonders if Romania can bounce back from this. One bad cycle is tolerable. But this time they will not even come close to qualification.

Their junior girls are fantastic. They can, in theory, rebuild their program for the 2024 Olympics, but Golgota has to stick around. She had a terrible day today. I still can't believe it was Holbura who scored over 50 points and was the first from her nation in the all-around ranking. 

42 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

This qualification system is so confusing that I am completely lost.

Can a country qualify two gymnasts, one through the all-around competition and one through the event finals? I thought that each nation could either have a full team, or one gymnast. 

yes...it won't happen but in theory a country that doesn't qualify a team could qualify 1 gymnast through the all-around plus 3 gymnasts through event finals. NOCs that qualify a team can't qualify other gymnasts at the world championship (but they can add 2 more individuals next year through World Cup and continental championships)

14.266 for Ellie Black on bars. These judges are completely out of their minds. Two things are common here: routines with terrible execution earning big scores (Black's uneven bars routine) and easy routines, severely lacking in difficulty, earning big execution scores (almost every Belgian gymnast). Ugh. 

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

14.266 for Ellie Black on bars. These judges are completely out of their minds. Two things are common here: routines with terrible execution earning big scores (Black's uneven bars routine) and easy routines, severely lacking in difficulty, earning big execution scores (almost every Belgian gymnast). Ugh. 

I only saw the subdivision in which Germany started. The German TV commentarors (one of them Fabian Hambüchen) complained about underscoring of some German routines, especially the balance beam routine of Sarah Voss. I don't have an eye for it, but I wonder if you would agree with them?

However, regarding Olympic qualification FRA, CAN, GER, BEL should be save after the first day.

Edited by LowerSaxony

5 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

I only saw the subdivision in which Germany started. The German TV commentarors (one of them Fabian Hambüchen) complained about underscoring of some German routines, especially the balance beam routine of Sarah Voss. I don't have an eye for it, but I wonder if you would agree with them?

However, regarding Olympic qualification FRA, CAN, GER, BEL should be save after the first day.

I didn't watch her routine, but at least Germany finished ahead of Belgium. Germany is a program with a much more mature development, and they risk a lot more than Belgium does. Belgium plays safe with all of their gymnasts, except for Derwael. In my opinion, gymnastics should not be about playing safe. It's great to have attention to detail and clean form, but they should also focus on difficulty, or else we will see boring routines over and over again. I feel bad for Australia, a program that risks a lot more, but is seldomly rewarded.