website statistics

Rowing FISA World Championships 2019

Totallympics

10 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

I will always wonder why Italy did not compete in women's single scull and eight. I don't know if there were any qualification criteria/standards, but I'm sure we could have reached it. It is just a non-sense, to me.

we normally don't have a good Eight because we don't have enough depth in our team (and we lack especially guys with the physical structure perfect for that boat, tall and very powerful...there's no need for finesse rowing on the big boat)...

and we never have good single scullers because when we find one, we destroy him by trying to put him on the Double and/or the Quadruple sculls, without leaving him the time to really learn all the secrets of this very difficult discipline (if I think how they wasted the talent of Federico Gattinoni -a natural born single sculler, ruined when they started to put him on the other boats, I'd like to kick so many asses)...

Just now, phelps said:

even with 4 silver/bronze medals the final outcome for Italy wouldn't have been super-positive...

aside of the usual good results in the LM2X, among the senior boats 12 months ago we had 1 Gold and 1 Silver for an inch or so...only going up to 2 Gold medals in those 2 events (quadruple Sculls and Fours) would have made the final outcome super-positive...

silver and bronze are just small consolations, MINOR medals...

I want and I expect those 2 boats to win the Gold medal next year, nothing less than that would satisfy me at all...

and I think that's time to stop pursuing phantoms...the Sinkovic are not beatable at all...just put Lodo & Vicino in the middle of the M4- and make it the best in the world, in order to reasonably aim at 3 medals (the LM2X and the 2 senior 4), but 2 of them really going for Gold...

the new M2- can be built with those coming off the Four and the Eight (in the qualifying regatta I'd pursuit only the Doubles quali, as we can get only 1 more boat per gender in any case)...

and god save us from stupid ideas like not leaving Martini on the single seat for the rest of his career (unless in the next few years we can find a newcomer way better than him already while being still a junior, with real growth perspective)...

You are a little too much strict on the judgment of the Italian results in my modest opinion, you consider very good only gold medal, this year Ned in 4x was way better than any other. 

I agree with you with Lodo and Vicino making our 4- a gold medal contender, mostly if Bond will be back for NZ there will be only 1 bronze medal available in 2-, and that bronze medal could be achievable also with other 2 guys.Are you sure that in final regatta a Nation can qualify only one boat per Gender? 

Just now, Andry84 said:

You are a little too much strict on the judgment of the Italian results in my modest opinion, you consider very good only gold medal, this year Ned in 4x was way better than any other. 

I agree with you with Lodo and Vicino making our 4- a gold medal contender, mostly if Bond will be back for NZ there will be only 1 bronze medal available in 2-, and that bronze medal could be achievable also with other 2 guys.Are you sure that in final regatta a Nation can qualify only one boat per Gender? 

4 years ago it was that way, I guess this time it's gonna be the same...

and yes, I know I'm really strict in judging gold medals a lot more important than anything else when it comes to olympic sports...but you must be ambitious if you really want to achieve a great result...if you start to get 3rd, there are a lot of chances you end up with a bitter 4th place or worse...

Wonderful championships for Ireland. We have three big hopes now for Tokyo and the men’s lightweight double look like they could get better and better. Paul and Fintan are the new combination and they have only raced twice competitively at international level. And Fintan is still only 22 but the competition for places on that boat is so tough.

Plus Paul was training in medicine for most of this year so with a full year’s training I hope they can be even quicker.

Btw this is Paul’s 4th world gold medal in a row! 

And the men’s double have been a revelation! They have only been racing full time together since the summer as they were both training separately before that so that’s also promising. 

And Sanita again was just amazing and is now also the two-time champion! :)

Just now, OlympicIRL said:

Wonderful championships for Ireland. We have three big hopes now for Tokyo and the men’s lightweight double look like they could get better and better. Paul and Fintan are the new combination and they have only raced twice competitively at international level. And Fintan is still only 22 but the completion for places on that boat is so tough.

Plus Paul was training in medicine for most of this year so with a full year’s training I hope they can be even quicker.

Btw this is Paul’s 4th world gold medal in a row! 

And the men’s double have been a revelation! They have only been racing full time together since the summer as they were both training separately before that so that’s also promising. 

And Sanita again was just amazing and is now also the two-time champion! :)

You have great W4- as well. 

Just now, dareza said:

You have great W4- as well. 

Yes, and they were so unlucky with the wind in the B final as they should have been redrawn into lane 5/6 along with China.

However, that is such a surprise anyway as that team is most of the team that just won a medal at U23 level at the world championships this year and they were sent here mainly for experience. 

But the rowing experts on our TV were thinking it could be a blessing as this will make our competition for places in the women’s pair even stronger. Our women's pair placed 8th here and qualified to Tokyo.

3 hours ago, AlFHg said:

I will always wonder why Italy did not compete in women's single scull and eight. I don't know if there were any qualification criteria/standards, but I'm sure we could have reached it. It is just a non-sense, to me.

Canada did not enter a men's 8 in 2016 to spread the talent among multiple boats for ex. It flopped however ...

2 hours ago, Dunadan said:

This is not written anywhere in the qualification document. And in 2016 at least one nation (China) qualified two female boats.

I'm sure that 3 years ago it was not possible to keep more than 1 boat per gender (even if any Nation could start in all the races they wanted at the final regatta, just they had to reallocate those quota won in excess)...

probably the Chinese case was a combination of Continental quota + final global regatta (or something related to reallocations)...:mumble: