website statistics

Rowing FISA World Championships 2019

Totallympics

Just now, intoronto said:

Its not guaranteed, especially if pole vault flops...

Didn't you also just win a medal in men's judo? I think you should also look at it this way: You're men are maybe subpar for a country like Canada, but your women are for sure way better than it would be expected from a country like Canada.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

the last medallists of the 2019 World Rowing Championships...

men's Singles

Gold: :GER Oliver Zeidler

Silver: :DEN Sverri Nielsen (actually, :FRO)

Bronze: :NOR Kjetil Borch

women's Singles

Gold: :IRL Sanita Puspure

Silver: :NZL Emma Twigg

Bronze: :USA Kara Kohler

men's Eights

Gold: :GER Germany

Silver: :NED Netherlands

Bronze: :GBR Great Britain

women's Eights

Gold: :NZL New Zealand

Silver: :AUS Australia

Bronze: :USA United States

and this is the full list of Quota Places by Nation awarded at the 2019 World Rowing Championships, after all the races have been completed...

:GBR GBR 10
:NED NED 10
:ITA ITA 9
:NZL NZL 9
:AUS AUS 8
:USA USA 8
:ROU ROU 7
:CAN CAN 6
:CHN CHN 6
:GER GER 6
:POL POL 6
:FRA FRA 4
:IRL IRL 4
:LTU LTU 3
:NOR NOR 3
:ESP ESP 3
:SUI SUI 3
:BLR BLR 2
:CRO CRO 2
:CZE CZE 2
:DEN DEN 2
:AUT AUT 1
:BEL BEL 1
:GRE GRE 1
:RSA RSA 1
:SRB SRB 1

Just now, GoPoland said:

Which country did better than expected and the best impression?

Netherlands, Ireland, China and New Zeland.

way better than expected: Netherlands, China and Poland...

special award to GBR, qualifying 10 boats with all the injuries they had lately is something amazing in terms of depth of their program...

on the negative side: USA, Canada and Italy* above all, but somehow also France and South Africa...

*looking at the quality of results in the supposed stronger Olympic boats, because the non-Olympic boats did well as expected and tbh, the total number of qualified boats is beyond any expectation (especially on the women's side)...

but to me only the medals in the Olympic classes count...and here it's been a disaster...

Edited by phelps

France has been a lot more negative of Italy. It's not that two 4th place  can change the judgment from super positive, because with 4 medals in men boats it would have been super positive, to a disaster. We have qualified 9 boats, 4 in women, in Rio before repechage we qualified 1 women boat, the single scull after 16 years winning the only place behind 8 monsters(I underline 8 monster to say that in this boat no one is a lock medal). Now we can try to find a decent male double and try to qualify that boat, for the men 8 and 4 women I think there is no chance. There are 11 months to work on our 4 medal contenders boats and I hope and think that in Tokyo we'll win 3 medals, asking more I think is very, very, very difficult. 

5 minutes ago, Andry84 said:

France has been a lot more negative of Italy. It's not that two 4th place  can change the judgment from super positive, because with 4 medals in men boats it would have been super positive, to a disaster. We have qualified 9 boats, 4 in women, in Rio before repechage we qualified 1 women boat, the single scull after 16 years winning the only place behind 8 monsters(I underline 8 monster to say that in this boat no one is a lock medal). Now we can try to find a decent male double and try to qualify that boat, for the men 8 and 4 women I think there is no chance. There are 11 months to work on our 4 medal contenders boats and I hope and think that in Tokyo we'll win 3 medals, asking more I think is very, very, very difficult. 

even with 4 silver/bronze medals the final outcome for Italy wouldn't have been super-positive...

aside of the usual good results in the LM2X, among the senior boats 12 months ago we had 1 Gold and 1 Silver for an inch or so...only going up to 2 Gold medals in those 2 events (quadruple Sculls and Fours) would have made the final outcome super-positive...

silver and bronze are just small consolations, MINOR medals...

I want and I expect those 2 boats to win the Gold medal next year, nothing less than that would satisfy me at all...

and I think that's time to stop pursuing phantoms...the Sinkovic are not beatable at all...just put Lodo & Vicino in the middle of the M4- and make it the best in the world, in order to reasonably aim at 3 medals (the LM2X and the 2 senior 4), but 2 of them really going for Gold...

the new M2- can be built with those coming off the Four and the Eight (in the qualifying regatta I'd pursuit only the Doubles quali, as we can get only 1 more boat per gender in any case)...

and god save us from stupid ideas like not leaving Martini on the single seat for the rest of his career (unless in the next few years we can find a newcomer way better than him already while being still a junior, with real growth perspective)...

8 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

I will always wonder why Italy did not compete in women's single scull and eight. I don't know if there were any qualification criteria/standards, but I'm sure we could have reached it. It is just a non-sense, to me.

We don't have the depth in women to build a competitive 8, for the single there isn't the culture of this boat in Italy, also in the man when we compete in that boat is usually a discard of all the other boats, Martini did a miracle today qualifying the boat in Tokyo.