website statistics

Tennis US Open 2019

Totallympics

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Once again, US Open audience being US Open audience. So sad for Andreescu she has to play her first Grand Slam final in a place like this. If she can deal with this and win, she can deal with anything.

This is a really bad take. 

Just now, Wanderer said:

Yaay, Osaka fan :cheer: 

She’s the best thing to happen to women’s tennis the last few years. Great player, better person.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, ofan said:

This is a really bad take. 

How is this a bad take? I don't think she'll play in significantly more hostile environment, so if she manages to overcome this, in terms of tennis and pressure she is capable of overcoming anything.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, I’m aware of that. However, many of the world’s best players will still show up. I only know the names of players with Olympic medals or multiple grand slam titles.

I’d put Football as first by the way. Then Baseball, then Tennis, then Golf, then Basketball. Those are the main offenders. However, I believe only Baseball and Football should be kicked from the Olympics.

Olympics men's football is for U-23 players tbh so it's castrated by default. Most of the global stars don't even have a chance to play at the Olympics due to the age restrictions. The same applies to rugby sevens. I'm not gonna mention that either because it's a castrated version of the sport being played at the Olympics.

Just now, Monzanator said:

Olympics men's football is for U-23 players tbh so it's castrated by default. Most of the global stars don't even have a chance to play at the Olympics due to the age restrictions. The same applies to rugby sevens. I'm not gonna mention that either because it's a castrated version of the sport being played at the Olympics.

No, the best Rugby Sevens players so up. 7s and 15s are too different things. I quite like the 7s format more than the 15s and that’s my opinion. However, I think 7s players are just as deserving of an Olympic spot as 15s. I don’t think Rugby’s been tampered with at all. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

No, the best Rugby Sevens players so up. 7s and 15s are too different things. I quite like the 7s format more than the 15s and that’s my opinion. However, I think 7s players are just as deserving of an Olympic spot as 15s. I don’t think Rugby’s been tampered with at all. 

But it's the inferior version of rugby to begin with. If they put 3x3 basketball into the Oympics would it mean as much as the classic 5x5 game with all the NBA stars? Of course not. Let's not pretend the sevens is a completely new sport.

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

How is this a bad take? I don't think she'll play in significantly more hostile environment, so if she manages to overcome this, in terms of tennis and pressure she is capable of overcoming anything.

Sorry, I was referring to how you've characterized the crowd throughout the tournament in such a negative light. Sure there were some unruly moments over the last 2 weeks, but I thought the crowd today was simply rambunctious because they were cheering on a hometown hero, same as the crowd would be in Wimbledon for a Brit, etc. I don't agree with the "US Open crowd being US open crowd' take. 

Just now, Monzanator said:

But it's the inferior version of rugby to begin with. If they put 3x3 basketball into the Oympics would it mean as much as the classic 5x5 game with all the NBA stars? Of course not. Let's not pretend the sevens is a completely new sport.

That’s exactly what Sevens is. It has the same basic skills require to succeed in 15s, but it takes a different type of player to become successful. It also caters to a crowd which might be as enticed to watch 15s. BKB3x3 is in the Olympics by the way.