website statistics

Tennis US Open 2019

Totallympics

Just now, Monzanator said:

She wants Margaret Court's GS singles titles record (24) first and foremost. She has the Olympic gold already.

Federer (102) wants Jimmy Connors all-time ATP singles titles record (109).

Everything else is just PR, smoke & mirrors.

Obviously I was cheering for Andreescu tonight. I'm tired of watching Serena winning titles for 20 years :rolleyes:

Right of course, but another Olympic gold would solidify Serena as one of the greats. It would also make her advertising deals just a bit better, even if she makes the record.

Of topic question here: Is the Olympics considered a Grand Slam by people, or is it in a special catagory to tennis fans?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Wanderer said:

I wish we could see new face on the men's side but I think Rafa will deconstruct Medvedev easily.

Medvedev is the villain we all need though :p (His words, not mine)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

A lot of big titles were won by young(er) players this year:

Australian Open - Osaka (1997)

Dubai - Bencic (1997)

Indian Wells - Andreescu (2000)

Miami - Barty (1996)

Roland Garros - Barty (1996) while finalist Vondroušova was born in 1999

Canada Open - Andreescu (2000)

US Open - Andreescu again! 

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Right of course, but another Olympic gold would solidify Serena as one of the greats. It would also make her advertising deals just a bit better, even if she makes the record.

I honestly don't see how that has even remotely as much of an influence as winning the 24th Grand Slam would have. At all. Serena Williams really does not need the Olympics.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Wanderer said:

A lot of big titles were won by young(er) players this year:

Australian Open - Osaka (1997)

Dubai - Bencic (1997)

Indian Wells - Andreescu (2000)

Miami - Barty (1996)

Roland Garros - Barty (1996) while finalist Vondroušova was born in 1999

Canada Open - Andreescu (2000)

US Open - Andreescu again! 

We're only a few months further and I had completely, but seriously totally forgotten Vondrousova made the final at RG :yikes: 

I really hope Andreescu will keep it up, but for now I'm afraid in five years from now we'll be here thinking "ah yeah, Andreescu once won a GS, lol". I very much hope I'm wrong though.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Of topic question here: Is the Olympics considered a Grand Slam by people, or is it in a special catagory to tennis fans?

Olympic gold is good for the records but is not that important. GS are waaay above that so Serena will play for that #24 and not another Olympic gold ;)

Just now, heywoodu said:

We're only a few months further and I had completely, but seriously totally forgotten Vondrousova made the final at RG :yikes: 

I really hope Andreescu will keep it up, but for now I'm afraid in five years from now we'll be here thinking "ah yeah, Andreescu once won a GS, lol". I very much hope I'm wrong though.

Her mentality is on spot, she won't be something like Ostapenko. The only threat that can send her into oblivion are injuries, she seems to be prone to injuries.

Vondroušova is also fragile and I don't like her mentality often. She just got into good form and is injured again :( 

Anyway, with players like Andreescu, Anisimova, Swiatek, McNally, Gauff, Osaka, Bencic, Yastremska, Potapova, Vondrousova, Kostyuk... there must be 3-4 consistent player at least to a certain degree. Players that won't disappear after a title (Ostapenko), players that won't ruin themselves like Muguruza and players that won't choke (at least often)....

Just now, Wanderer said:

Anyway, with players like Andreescu, Anisimova, Swiatek, McNally, Gauff, Osaka, Bencic, Yastremska, Potapova, Vondrousova, Kostyuk... there must be 3-4 consistent player at least to a certain degree. Players that won't disappear after a title (Ostapenko), players that won't ruin themselves like Muguruza and players that won't choke (at least often)....

How kind of you to avoid naming Bertens there :p