website statistics

World Urban Games 2019

Totallympics

Just now, NearPup said:

This event is nonsense. There is just no through-line in the events selected, and there are some glaring omissions.

On a personal level the only events included that I enjoy are BMX freestyle and Roller Freestyle. I guess Parkour, Breakdancing and 3x3 are “urban”, but what the heck is frisbee, watered down summer biathlon and *indoor rowing* doing here? How are those urban sports? Where is skateboarding or climbing?

I’m just really skeptical of the concept. The X Games work because there is a clear throughline in the events that are selected. Nobody in the world is a fan of “urban” sports. It’s not that I dislike any of the events, I just don’t understand what they have in common.

Edit: oh, and ya, the X Games are great and I think stealing a bunch of their events is the only good “fellow kids” thing the IOC has ever done.

I’m actually ok with the inclusion of indoor rowing because it’s a thing that people in cities with no access to water do, so it is “urban”. I definitely think the should rebrand these as the World Freestyle Games. Skateboard Park and Street should be added. Drone racing should be added. BMX Flatland should be added. Frisbee can then remain (that discipline has been around since ultimate pretty much in the WFDF, it just gets less press). Wakeboard should be added as well. 3x3 should be 16 teams and not U23. I guess they could add Cheerleading if they wanted to. Laser run doesn’t need these games. Bouldering should be here instead of the beach games, since Sport Climbing, not Outdoor Climbing, isn’t a beach sport. 

As I kind of alluded to earlier. I think these games could totally work, or at least be fun little tie over competition like the Beach Games. I also think they should take place every two years. I’d prefer the Olympic years actually. Hopefully these games do a bit better with more sure hosts in the next cycle, and hopefully the programs make much more sense.

The 2021 World Urban Games are already scheduled by the way. They will be held in Budapest again.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

As I kind of alluded to earlier. I think these games could totally work

Come to think about it, yeah, this could work if it's not taken too seriously as a sports event. I mean, drone racing and e-sports are a perfect fit for this kind of event, and if you add 3x3 basketball and parkour then there's a semblance of physical effort and it could gather fans from the best of both worlds. 

53 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Come to think about it, yeah, this could work if it's not taken too seriously as a sports event. I mean, drone racing and e-sports are a perfect fit for this kind of event, and if you add 3x3 basketball and parkour then there's a semblance of physical effort and it could gather fans from the best of both worlds. 

Right, that’s what I’m saying. I could be the GAISF’s (IOC’s) version of the X Games. Call it the freestyle games and add a few more sports. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

That would’ve been the proper way to celebrate urban sports and culture. I really hope that I get a crack at planning a multi-sports games one day. It would be a fucking masterpiece of design, with great marketing, and have a lasting impact on the community. 

Until you realize it's actually not that easy, there's a lot of people pulling your strings and before you know it, your stuff is being tore down on a forum as well :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, NearPup said:

but what the heck is frisbee, watered down summer biathlon

What do you mean, watered down summer biathlon? Be clear man, is there summer biathlon ( :hyper: ) or is there some other version of it that makes you refer to it as watered down? :d Now I really want to know :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

What do you mean, watered down summer biathlon? Be clear man, is there summer biathlon ( :hyper: ) or is there some other version of it that makes you refer to it as watered down? :d Now I really want to know :d 

It''s the laser gun run from Modern Pentathlon, minus the other three sports.

I kind of dislike the laser gun run because it just doesn't have as much drama as biathlon (which is, as you know, basically the best sport).

Edited by NearPup

Just now, NearPup said:

It''s the laser gun run from Modern Pentathlon, minus the other three sports.

I kind of dislike the laser gun run because it just doesn't have as much drama as biathlon (which is, as you know, basically the best sport).

In that case, I'm taking my enthousiasm and putting it back in my pocket. Meh.

47 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Until you realize it's actually not that easy, there's a lot of people pulling your strings and before you know it, your stuff is being tore down on a forum as well :p 

A then because European nations all have a bunch of never used, incredibly stupid laws; I crush the forum as well :p

49 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well we’re talking about real sports, so no. 

:p