website statistics

World Urban Games 2019

Totallympics

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

Yes, I know. It's just I personally hate it, but I know it's not going to be removed from the program.

Triathlon is probably the least exciting event at the Olympics, in my opinion. I can see the reason for Modern Pentathlon (even though the perfect soldier thing is a little corny) but I absolutely can't stand triathlon or even think about a good reason for it to exist as a sport.

I would only like triathlon if it's in the Ironman format. You know, swim what feels like half the ocean, cycle a professional cycling race distance and then run a marathon. Now that's impressive.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, dcro said:

Interestingly, if that ever becomes a thing, then MP might as well be dead and burried.

They should feel free to just go ahead and be proactive in that regard. Goodbye ancient modern pentathlon.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

If I was going to improve Modern Pentathlon (not that I really it needs to be), I would eliminate Equestrian. In Equestrian’s place I would Sport Climbing.

Why? It fits the IOC’s modern and urban agenda. It’s unique from the other disciplines of modern pentathlon, and it requires some unused skill sets. I would add lead Climbing just to be clear. My format would be: 200m Swim, Fencing Ranking Round, 1 lead climb, Fencing bonus round, laser run (distance increased to 5km). That’s just my ideal format, I sure there’s many other opinions out there. I thought I’d just share mine.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

If I was going to improve Modern Pentathlon (not that I really it needs to be), I would eliminate Equestrian. In Equestrian’s place I would Sport Climbing.

Why? It fits the IOC’s modern and urban agenda. It’s unique from the other disciplines of modern pentathlon, and it requires some unused skill sets. I would add lead Climbing just to be clear. My format would be: 200m Swim, Fencing Ranking Round, 1 lead climb, Fencing bonus round, laser run (distance increased to 5km). That’s just my ideal format, I sure there’s many other opinions out there. I thought I’d just share mine.

That's where I stopped reading and agreed with your plan.

Just now, heywoodu said:

That's where I stopped reading and agreed with your plan.

I think plan does actually are the sport better though. I know many traditionalists would hate, but I have some good arguments for giving it a shot.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

You will have to change the name to "Urban Pentathlon" then. :d

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

I think plan does actually are the sport better though. I know many traditionalists would hate, but I have some good arguments for giving it a shot.

I guess traditionalists have never seen the ridiculous show jumping part :p The single reason to watch it is the laughable level*

Spoiler

*says someone who only watched it at one Olympics so possibly that terrible level was just an outlier

Nowadays Modern Pentathlon is really stupid with all the "innovative improvements", The only and real Modern Pentathlon was the one that lasted full 5 days and the fencing part was traditionally the longest Olympic event which started before 08 AM and finished around midnight. All this bonus ranking points system, one day program and laser shooting + running combined etc...totally destroyed this marvellous sport.

yeah I´m not urban, and I´m proud :d

Just now, hckosice said:

Nowadays Modern Pentathlon is really stupid with all the "innovative improvements", The only and real Modern Pentathlon was the one that lasted full 5 days and the fencing part was traditionally the longest Olympic event which started before 08 AM and finished around midnight. All this bonus ranking points system, one day program and laser shooting + running combined etc...totally destroyed this marvellous sport.

yeah I´m not urban, and I´m proud :d

I’m young enough to have never watched the sport in that format, let alone without the laser run. (First time I watched was in 2015, and it was a replay of 2012 Men’s Olympic Games final)

I just think it's unfair to get one horse by random draw.

And nowadays most pentathlon events run with semifinals and a final, and in semifinals they don't do jumping, witch is kind of unfair