website statistics

Parapan American Games 2019

vinipereira

14 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

:BRA wins the Football 7-a-side tournament. Sadly, this sport isn't in the Paralympics programme anymore.

“Not enough international reach” official IPC reason. The IPC decided to cut 7-a-side Football in 2016, along with Sailing (which was a huge shock). Both of those sports did apply to be continued on the 2020 program. The sports that also went for inclusion were Badminton, Taekwondo, Powerchair Football,  Amputee Football, Electric Wheelchair Hockey, and 3x3 Intellectually Impaired Wheelchair Beasketball. Obviously Badminton (which definitely deserved a place) and Taekwondo (not so sure about that one) were selected. The IPC almost decided to cut Track Cycling too. Here’s a good article about the 2020 Paralympics sports program: https://www.paralympic.org/news/ipc-announces-final-tokyo-2020-paralympic-sports-programme

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

44 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

“Not enough international reach” official IPC reason. The IPC decided to cut 7-a-side Football in 2016, along with Sailing (which was a huge shock). Both of those sports did apply to be continued on the 2020 program. The sports that also went for inclusion were Badminton, Taekwondo, Powerchair Football,  Amputee Football, Electric Wheelchair Hockey, and 3x3 Intellectually Impaired Wheelchair Beasketball. Obviously Badminton (which definitely deserved a place) and Taekwondo (not so sure about that one) were selected. The IPC almost decided to cut Track Cycling too. Here’s a good article about the 2020 Paralympics sports program: https://www.paralympic.org/news/ipc-announces-final-tokyo-2020-paralympic-sports-programme

I don't entirely buy the "not enough international reach" excuse. IMO they didn't want two team sports (both Football) entirely dedicated to one gender - not to mention Wheelchair Rugby, which has 95% male athletes. So the less popular event had to go, which is sad for CP athletes of course.

21 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

I don't entirely buy the "not enough international reach" excuse. IMO they didn't want two team sports (both Football) entirely dedicated to one gender - not to mention Wheelchair Rugby, which has 95% male athletes. So the less popular event had to go, which is sad for CP athletes of course.

I’d rather see amputee football personally. I know of a few more sports looking for entry too (Armwrestling in particular). I’ll make a post later today about how I’d change the Paralympic program (and I’ll do it in a different thread so we keep this one on topic :yes)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Final Medal Count

FMedal.png

Not only Brazil beat their own record, now is the nation with the best participation ever in a single edition of the Parapan American Games (Mexico won 121 gold and 307 medals at the very first edition in 1999 at Mexico City).

Just now, vinipereira said:

Final Medal Count

FMedal.png

Not only Brazil beat their own record, now is the nation with the best participation ever in a single edition of the Parapan American Games (Mexico won 121 gold and 307 medals at the very first edition in 1999 at Mexico City).

Almost beat us @mrv86. US performance was very good, not our best, but good. We had multiple 13-16 year old athletes win medals, which means our Paralympic program is looking good for years to come. Very happy with our performance. I think I’ll attend the Paralympics in 2028 for sure. 

54 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Almost beat us @mrv86. US performance was very good, not our best, but good. We had multiple 13-16 year old athletes win medals, which means our Paralympic program is looking good for years to come. Very happy with our performance. I think I’ll attend the Paralympics in 2028 for sure. 

Almost, but in the end, US team performed better.

Yet this is Mexico's best ever participation at the Parapan American Games.