website statistics

Orienteering IOF World Championships 2019

Totallympics

Tove Alexandersson of Sweden won her 4th straight Gold medal at long distance today. Sweden also won the silver medal with Lina Strand. Congratulations girls. Tove won with over six minutes ahead of Lina.:champion::SWE :bowdown:

women's Long Distance

Gold: :SWE Tove Alexandersson

Silver: :SWE Lina Strand

Bronze: :SUI Simona Aebersold

Full Ranking

https://eventor.orienteering.org/Documents/Event/3183/1/Official-Results-Women

men's Long Distance

Gold: :NOR Olav Lundanes

Silver: :NOR Kasper Fosser

Bronze: :SUI Daniel Hubmann

Full Ranking

https://eventor.orienteering.org/Documents/Event/3180/1/Official-Results-Men

Just now, Quasit said:

Why no sprint distance this time?

I was wondering the same thing. Middle Distance is kind of watchable. Long Distance is completely unwatchable. Sprint I’ve really enjoyed watching. Same with the relay. The sprint is the most marketable event and they left it off the program. It’s a bizarre choice to me. 

Plus, I wouldn’t watch it anyways since they expect me to pay €10 to watch it.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Quasit said:

Why no sprint distance this time?

IOF decided to split the WCH into two.  "Distances/Forest" championships every odd year and "Sprint/City" championships every even year. The reason for this decision is to make it possible for more countries to bid for a WCH. Some countries don't have "enough" forest to hold a WCH. IOF hopes that this new system makes it possible to bring more awareness of orienteering in the world. I have heard that Hong Kong is planning to bid for a Sprint WCH. Before that wouldn't have been possible for a country like Hong Kong to bid for a whole WCH, but now it is possible. Also, money I guess. More countries have the possibility to host a WCH which probably mean more federations in IOF, which can lead to more publicity in new countries, which can mean new sponsors to IOF. So yeah.... money!

Edited by wumo26

18 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I was wondering the same thing. Middle Distance is kind of watchable. Long Distance is completely unwatchable. Sprint I’ve really enjoyed watching. Same with the relay. The sprint is the most marketable event and they left it off the program. It’s a bizarre choice to me. 

Plus, I wouldn’t watch it anyways since they expect me to pay €10 to watch it.

all races are live on Norwegian public channels NRK1 and NRK2, which are available in streaming (also ondemand) on their official website (provided you use a VPN)...;)

women's Middle Distance

Gold: :SWE Tove Alexandersson

Silver: :SUI Simona Aebersold

Bronze: :RUS Natalia Gemperle & :FIN Venla Harju (tied)

Full Ranking

https://eventor.orienteering.org/Documents/Event/3192/1/Official-Results-Women

men's Middle Distance

Gold: :NOR Olav Lundanes

Silver: :SWE Gustav Bergman

Bronze: :NOR Magne Daehli

Full Ranking

https://eventor.orienteering.org/Documents/Event/3194/1/Official-Results-Men-Middle-Final

Edited by phelps

Just now, phelps said:

all races are live on Norwegian public channels NRK1 and NRK2, which are available in streaming (also ondemand) on their official website (provided you use a VPN)...;)

And on multiple YouTube channels about a day after the comp:yesetition 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela