website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Qualification Systems

I can't see in the PDF file how they are going to determine 5th/6th places or 3rd place. will we have box-off between losers ? or they use the stupid format of you are 5th if you lose to the eventual champion in QF ?!

Yes to both, if it follows the procedure used in Rio 2016 qualifiers (box-off for the third of 3 berths*; final ranking for the fifth / sixth of 5 or 6 berths (in this case QF losses to the champ / runner-up)). The ranking method also applies to any berths not taken up by a qualifying NOC and passed on to another.

[* EDIT - Except the 2015 men's WCh also used the ranking method in this scenario, I think.]

Edited by Edvid

Thinking specifically of 5-berth divisions - would that in effect mean two lower classification semi-finals and a final for the quarter-final losers? That potentially means you fight one match more than an Olympic bronze medallist, assuming equal levels of participation.

In that scenario - you wouldn't want to be an Americas lightweight boxer that makes a LC final in their continental qualifier, loses (and a Japanese boxer in their division qualifies, releasing the host berth to another NOC), then reaches a LC final in the world qualifier and loses again.

Or would it just be a box-off between the two that lost their quarterfinals to the champ / runner-up?

Certainly w.r.t. the first scenario, I don't believe it would make sense unless you also make the semi-finalists proper fight for bronze in the Olympics et al.

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

I can't see in the PDF file how they are going to determine 5th/6th places or 3rd place. will we have box-off between losers ? or they use the stupid format of you are 5th if you lose to the eventual champion in QF ?!

You can't see that in the PDF because it has not been decided. We might get a picture in the meeting next week. 

5 hours ago, dcro said:

Why are the lower weights given more quotas? It literally doesn't make any sense to give -52 division more quotas than say -75.

According to the IOC it is because of physical damage and universality.

They argue that the fighters in  heavier weight classes have to endure more physical damage so they try to reduce the no of matches.

Another point is they say lower weight classes have more fighters universally.

Not my opinion this is what the IOC said in press briefing.

59 minutes ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

What shall be scoring system in boxing and from where shall the judges coming from

Scoring system will be same. IOC doesn't want to make any radical change as there is only some months for qualification tournament.

The judges will most certainly be the same people who are from AIBA as told by sports director of IOC

3 hours ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

What shall be scoring system in boxing and from where shall the judges coming from

Scoring system is sudden death; judges will come from all planets of our solar system 

6 hours ago, Shravan Kumar said:

Scoring system will be same. IOC doesn't want to make any radical change as there is only some months for qualification tournament.

The judges will most certainly be the same people who are from AIBA as told by sports director of IOC

then  It will be the same shit. just somebody else will collect the money this time.