website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Qualification Systems

12 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, but I think the ECU confirmed the split last year. I think the individual events will be here, and the other events in Poznan.

According to Hungarian Olympic Committee (from 26th April 2019) the Minsk 2019 will serve for OQE in archery, table tennis, shooting and karate. In canoe sprint it will be an official European Championships, but no Tokyo quotas are to be allocated. source

21 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Here is the canoe sprint qualification system (April 2019)

You'll need a PhD to understand it, but the European Games are not a qualification event (the African Games are though)

Yeah, I tried reading it. I opened it up took one look, and said oh hell no, and closed the tab.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, I tried reading it. I opened it up took one look, and said oh hell no, and closed the tab.

Yeah, reallocations are tough and it doesn't help that the ICF doesn't produce a qualified nations list until just before the Olympics (at least that was the case at the past two games)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad they decided to make the women's events more legit by having at least 16 competitors in each event.

Overall a very simple qualification system, continental qualifiers then world qualifiers.

Edited by JoshMartini007

No surprise to see the women's weight limits confirmed as 51 / 60 / 75 kg (existing) plus 57 / 69 kg (new).

As for the men - 49 and 52 will have to share 52 (fly, as before); 56 (bantam) becomes 57 (feather); 60 and 64 will have to share 63 (light). 69 and above stay the same.

All this, combined with AIBA apparently being close to bankruptcy may well kill off both of this year's World Championships.

22 minutes ago, dcro said:

Why are the lower weights given more quotas? It literally doesn't make any sense to give -52 division more quotas than say -75.

Maybe it's to compromise the fact that the lower weights went from 5 events to 3.

Though that doesn't explain why the women's flyweight has six more than the others. It would make more sense to have the bottom three weights to have 22 athletes each if you look at the numbers at the 2018 World Championships