website statistics

Sprint Canoeing ICF World Championships 2019

Totallympics

1 hour ago, GoHungary! said:

The :GER - :HUN domination is definitely over. It's great for the sport just not too tasty to swallow. :dunno:

You conclude that from one competition? In 2015 Germany won 2 golds on the men's side and no other medals + 2 bronze medals on the women's side, so only 2 more bronze medals than this time and we all know what happened one year later in Rio. I would still bet pretty much everything that Germany will win at least 3 golds and 5-6 medals in total in Tokyo.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

You conclude that from one competition? In 2015 Germany won 2 golds on the men's side and no other medals + 2 bronze medals on the women's side, so only 2 more bronze medals than this time and we all know what happened one year later in Rio. I would still bet pretty much everything that Germany will win at least 3 golds and 5-6 medals in total.

Your main issue is that you went from winning golds in the two Olympic men's canoe events at Rio, WCh 2017 and WCh 2018 to not even winning a medal this year. If Brendel is simply getting old, you will be in trouble. Just like how we will be in trouble if Kozák won't be able to beat Carrington and the Belarusians anymore in K1 and K2, because that leaves us with very few chances to win gold medals. 

4 hours ago, james89 said:

I don't understand the qualification in this event, haha. Why would Canada need to choose between the two?

"An NOC can qualify a maximum of two (2) athlete quota places in each category, that is, Kayak men, Kayak women, Canoe men and Canoe women at the Continental Qualification Competitions."

C2 boat = 2 and Oldershaw is the third athlete.

The only hope now is Oldershaw wins the quota from next year's World Cup 2.

Same scenario happened in 2016 iirc.

Edited by intoronto

6 hours ago, Vektor said:

Your main issue is that you went from winning golds in the two Olympic men's canoe events at Rio, WCh 2017 and WCh 2018 to not even winning a medal this year. If Brendel is simply getting old, you will be in trouble. Just like how we will be in trouble if Kozák won't be able to beat Carrington and the Belarusians anymore in K1 and K2, because that leaves us with very few chances to win gold medals. 

Not sure, why "we" would then be in trouble ... even without men's C2 and men's C1 Germany still has 3 good gold medal chances. Also don't see why Brendel should be too old, when at the same time the polish guy, who is only 1 year younger, just won silver + Brendel won the C1 500 (i believe for the first time ever). The brazilian guy could be hard to beat, but Brendel should easily have everyone else in his pocket. I still would take pretty much any bet that he will at least medal next year. Not sure what happened in men's C2, the two guys shouldn't be too old given that they are 25 and 27 ... this is much more difficult to predict for me, they could be back at the top next year or they could again end up without a medal. I believe it also might be an option to put Brendel in the C2 like they did in 2016, that might increase the german medal chances in that event. Right now i am still optimistic that Germany will win 3+ golds and 5+ medals in total.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

OK, I understand that Pita (not to be confused with me) is bad at cross country skiing, there is no snow in Tonga. But I would have guessed Tongans are good az canoeing, how do they travel between islands? :mumble:

Edited by Pifta
mispell

3 godziny temu, Pifta napisał:

OK, I understand that Pita (not to be confused with me) is bad at cross country skiing, there is no snow in Tonga. But I would have guessed Tongans are good az canoeing, how do they travel between islands? :mumble:

By ships, airplanes or helicopters I suppose :p And boats (rowing ones) would be the first choice over kayaks or canoes. Well, it would be dangerous canoeing through the ocean.

I am unashamed, at getting nothing done.

2 hours ago, szy123 said:

By ships, airplanes or helicopters I suppose :p And boats (rowing ones) would be the first choice over kayaks or canoes. Well, it would be dangerous canoeing through the ocean.

That part of Pacific is much more calm than a lot of the world’s oceans. A big traditional 24 person va’a could get you between islands.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 hours ago, Pifta said:

Maybe you read this interview with him (in Hungarian):

http://www.nemzetisport.hu/kajak_kenu/kajak-kenu-vb-a-hires-tongai-olimpikon-szegeden-is-elindult-2717665

Here he says that in his childhood he used to fish using a canoe but did competitive type kayaking for the first time 6 days (!) before the championship began (here in Szeged with a Talent programme of the ICF)

Just the last few finals to watch, first time I'm really watching this sport. Not too intrigued with all events, some are just too similar for me, but damn the men's K4 is awesome and especially the K2 200m, that blistering speed, just...wow :hyper: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Meh, the 5k finals are not available for whatever reason :lol:

Every stream worked perfectly (also now) but that one is geoblocked :dunno: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!