website statistics

National Sports of Countries

Olympian1010

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Color me surprised then :yikes: Now we have to find some evidence why football is more popular than skiing in Norway :cheer: Care to help?

Apparently it's the biggest in terms of active membership, but not viewing numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_in_Norway

Which still doesn't take much away from the whole point: football is way too big for any one nation to 'claim' it as national sport :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...

This is how Google's Search Engine Metrics calculate the popularity of some of the Olympic Team Sports for the last 5 years, the results seem pretty realistic, but I wonder what Totallympics users think of their accuracy :mumble:

Some quick side notes:

1) I decided not to include football, because it would surely take the 1st place in 99% of countries
2) This is a list mostly of summer sports, but I also included Ice Hockey, because other not included summer team sports like field hockey turned out to be barely noticable on the graph.
3) For the "Breakdown by sport" part I decided not to included data from smaller countries, because it was more difficult to tell different shades of colors apart.

If you're interested, you can check the interactive version here: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?cat=20&date=today 5-y&q=%2Fm%2F018w8,%2Fm%2F03tmr,%2Fm%2F07_53,%2Fm%2F03krj,%2Fm%2F0crlz You can customize time range, check out the results from your own country or any other country (and even from small regions in each nation)  Overall pretty interesting tool :d

Info:
Data.png

Time graph - here is a overwiew of how the popularity changed through time. You can easily tell when important competitions took place for each sport, and how it boosted its popularity. To the right is the average popularity each sport enjoyed during the last 5 years. Basketball is easily the most popular sport, then volleyball, then Ice Hockey.
Google Trends 2.png

Breakdown by region - This shows what sport was the most popular in what country in the last 5 years. Color depth represents advantage of interest over 2nd most popular sport. (I recommend visiting the Google Trends page, because some countries are barely visible on the map. Also, it provides deeper insight - if you hover your mouse over a country, you can get data about all the other sports.)

Google Trends 1.png

Breakdown by sports - finally here is a series of maps that provides information on how popular the sport is in a given country. Color depth represents popularity - the more deep the color, the more popular is the sport. As I said before, I did not include smaller countries, with low ammount of search info, because it would make it more difficult to view the map. The details on some maps are already hard to notice... Once again, I suggest clicking the link to get more in-depth information.

BASKETBALL
Basketball.png

ICE HOCKEY

Ice Hockey.png
VOLLEYBALL

Volleyball.png
HANDBALL
Handball.png

WATER POLO
Water Polo.png

Edited by VolleyRuller96

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

26 minutes ago, bestmen said:

LOL morocco is very weak in volleyball

where is football

I didn't include football, because it would be the most popular in every country.

And it is a map of interest, not of "how good a nation is" ;)

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

2 hours ago, VolleyRuller96 said:

This is how Google's Search Engine Metrics calculate the popularity of some of the Olympic Team Sports for the last 5 years, the results seem pretty realistic, but I wonder what Totallympics users think of their accuracy :mumble:

This is fantastic. Thanks for sharing. And we can actually get results since 2004, not just the last 5 years. Of course I had to search for gymnastics disciplines. :p

image.png

As I suspected:

1) Artistic gymnastics is by far the most popular discipline;

2) Interest in artistic gymnastics has grown steadily, especially in the last 5 years;

3) Rhythmic gymnastics is the second most popular discipline;

4) Interest spikes to the roof around the time of the Olympic games;
5) Virtually no one cares about trampoline gymnastics.

Now, the world map:

image.png

I'm honestly surprising at how popular rhythmic gymnastic is in some parts of the world, especially countries with zero tradition in the discipline such as Mongolia, Australia, New Zealand, Peru, Paraguay, Ecuador, DR Congo, South Africa, Angola, Namibia and Algeria.

Trampolining (yellow) is the most popular discipline in Great Britain and, surprisingly, Hungary.

Aerobics (green) is the most popular discipline in Indonesia.

Acrobatic gymnastics (purple) is the most popular discipline in Portugal, Morocco, Mozambique and Madagascar.

All the rest is either blue (artistic gymnastics) or red (rhythmic gymnastics).

Finally, the places of the world where the search interest reaches the maximum value (100) per discipline are:

Artistic gymnastics: :NED
Rhythmic gymnastics: :BUL 
Trampolining: :HUN
Aerobic gymnastics: :INA
Acrobatic gymnastics: :POR

5 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I'm honestly surprising at how popular rhythmic gymnastic is in some parts of the world, especially countries with zero tradition in the discipline such as Mongolia, Australia, New Zealand, Peru, Paraguay, Ecuador, DR Congo, South Africa, Angola, Namibia and Algeria.

Trampolining (yellow) is the most popular discipline in Great Britain and, surprisingly, Hungary.

Aerobics (green) is the most popular discipline in Indonesia.

Acrobatic gymnastics (purple) is the most popular discipline in Portugal, Morocco, Mozambique and Madagascar.

All the rest is either blue (artistic gymnastics) or red (rhythmic gymnastics).

Finally, the places of the world where the search interest reaches the maximum value (100) per discipline are:

Artistic gymnastics: :NED
Rhythmic gymnastics: :BUL 
Trampolining: :HUN
Aerobic gymnastics: :INA
Acrobatic gymnastics: :POR

Lol yeah aerobic ftw, when Indonesians heard the word "senam" (gymnastics/body exercise), they will most likely explain about a bunch of middle-aged woman on weekends doing aerobics with tacky house music. Sometimes, they will also think about SKJ, the Indonesian adaptation of Japanese radio calisthenics.

If it wasn't for Rifda Irfanaluthfi (and Asian Games 2018), most people won't bother to know more about the Olympic disciplines

Edited by Griff88