website statistics

National Sports of Countries

Olympian1010

I thought It would be a fun little topic to discuss and compile a list of national sports for all the IOC recognized countries and territories. So below you can (or will in a few days time) find a list of all the NOC’s national sports. If you disagree with your countries national sport and think it should be something else, you can post about that too. Also if you state, region, province, or city has a recognized “national” sport, post about that below, so we start a sub-list of those.

National Sports By Law

Flag Country Sport
:ARG Argentina  Pato 
:BAH Bahamas Cricket
:BAN Bangladesh  Kabaddi
:BHU Bhutan Archery
:BRA Brazil Capoeira
:CAN Canada

Lacrosse/Ice Hockey

:CHI Chile Rodeo
:COL Colombia Tejo 
:MEX Mexico Charrería
:NAM Namibia  Football/Netball/Rugby
:NEP Nepal Volleyball
:PHI Philippines Arnis 
:PUR Puerto Rico Paso Fino
:KOR South Korea Taekwondo 
:SRI Sri Lanka Volleyball
:URU Uruguay Destrezas Criollas

National Sports As Nominated By Totallympics Users

Flag Country User(s) Sport
:BRA Brazil

@thiago_simoes

@hoversaBR

Football/Futevôlei
:CZE Czech Republic @ahjfcshfghb Ice Hockey/Nohejbal
:DEN Denmark @wumo26 Handball
:ENG England

@uk12points

@Nickyc707

Cricket/Football
:FRA France 

@De_Gambassi

@Benolympique

Pétanque/Football

:HUN Hungary @Vektor Football
:IND India @Shravan Kumar Field Hockey
:ITA Italy @phelps Football
:NED Netherlands @heywoodu Speed Skating
:NZL  New Zealand @Wanderer Rugby
:POL Poland 

@Vojthas

@Monzanator

Volleyball/Ski Jumping/Speedway

:SVK Slovakia @hckosice Ice Hockey/Nohejbal
:SWE Sweden @Belle Football
:SUI Switzerland @Ustatsch Schwingen
:USA United States @Olympian1010 Baseball

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I thought about this topic when I started training for a triathlon today. I was thinking about how my state was the birth place of the sport, but it is neither the state nor national sport. So I thought I’d be cool to here about national sports in your countries. Below the US and California’s “national” sport.

The US has no official national sport, but most people consider Baseball to be the national sport.

California has an official state sport. It is Surfing.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The National sport of England is Cricket, but I would also put football up there too! 

My county, West Sussex, has an official sport though, it’s called Stoolball. It’s basically a cross over between cricket, baseball and rounders and is very popular in villages and schools across the county. 

Ah, you're a Frenchman, considering you say you're from where triathlon originated? :p 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triathlon#History

The Netherlands doesn't really have a national sport. Some candidates and why they may or may not be a national sport:

- Football; like almost anywhere in the world it's by far the most popular sport in terms of viewing numbers, fans, and so on - however, one can hardly call the world's most global sport any country's 'national sport'

- Korfball; obviously the Netherlands has always dominated this to kabaddi-like levels for India, but in reality not many people actually care; the national competition's final is usually live on TV (paid channel nowadays), but that's about it, you won't really see the world championships on TV for example, perhaps a very short bit of highlights of the final.

- Speed skating; by far our most succesful Olympic sport and generally pretty popular (though nowhere near as close as football); usually divided between two sides, one with people who like it and one with people who say it's just for old men; it's on TV pretty often in the winter, but nowhere near as close as the amount of time it had 15 years ago, World Cups are generally not shown live (they are on the public broadcaster's website, not on TV); quite a lot of people own a pair of skates and you'll see a lot of people on the lakes in the rare case they're all frozen, so it might have a chance for being the national sport

- Kaatsen/'Frisian handball'; weird sport practiced in a weird province of the country of which I have no idea how it works and how popular it is over there in reality, rest of the country doesn't give two craps; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisian_handball

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

We don't have an official national sport (thankfully), but quite a comprehensive list of traditional sports/games recognised as such

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/Thematiques/Patrimoine-culturel-immateriel/L-inventaire-national/Inventaire-national/Fiches-de-l-Inventaire-national-du-PCI/Jeux

They all are regional/local games, Some of them will be played in one city only and a good chunk of them should be considered dead and to be museum material. I'd consider most of them to be mere 'games' and not really 'sports' as we think of them. Sportswise, the most interesting ones are the descendants from the ancient paume game (ballon au poing, balle au tambourin, longue paume...) which are very similar to belgian balle pelote or allready mentioned frisian kaatsen.

If you had to pick one as 'the national sport' though that would be pétanque, as it's the only one (with pelote basque and boule lyonnaise) with a national reach.

We don't have a state-defined national sport nor a regional sport.. But this is the pattern when you ask Indonesians about national sport:

Football, yeah the eleven-a-side game is obviously popular in term of following and fans. It comes in package with supporter boxing :p

Badminton, often erroneously cited as the national sport. The best sport in term of competitiveness and success, on term of participation maybe neck-to-neck with football. Not as popular as it used to be but the Asian Games really skyrocketed the TV ratings.

Pencak silat, often called the national support because it is (said that) originated from the country. However I can guarantee 11 out of 10 people you ask in the streets won't know how the scoring of tanding (the kumite/kyorugi equivalent) works. Only followed during National Games or SEA Games.

Sepak takraw is also regarded as the native sport (however once again, the claim was disputed and questionable) and once again people only watch during the National Games, SEA Games, or Asian Games.

Some region also have their traditional sporting activities such as:

Fahombo, a coming-of-age native ritual for teenage boys in Nias Island where they must able to jump over a 2 meter stone structure. (when I was younger I've always thought the Nias people should fare well in Olympic high jump)

image.png

Pathol, a beach-wrestling game originated in Rembang used to find a fit soldier to guard port of Tuban.

image.png

Tarung Derajat, a kickboxing style combat sport developed by Haji Ahmad Drajat from West Java, hence the name. (it is a demonstration sport in 2011 SEA Games)

image.png

in Italy all sports are equal by law, but de facto Football is the only National sport of Italy (you can add Valentino Rossi and Ferrari -be careful, not motorsports in general...just those 2 "divinities"- if you like, but their sports are not recognised by IOC)...

everything else just flaws by (Panta rei, for those who know a bit of ancient Philosophy) and maybe sometimes hits the news columns when Italy win a European/World/Olympic title (but the first 2 competitions get some consideration only for team sports...in the individual ones, you really have to become Olympic Champion to get a marginal place on TV and newspapers)...:facepalm::wall:

11 minutes ago, phelps said:

in the individual ones, you really have to become Olympic Champion to get a marginal place on TV and newspapers)...:facepalm::wall:

And, you beed a strong personality of be totally stupid (like Basile, i'm always shocked when i listen him speak) for be quite popular...

Sport invented in the nation: there are some minor, but only one that somehow succeeded to gain some importance also abroad

football tennis (futnet) - Czechoslovakia

National sport:

Ice Hockey (CZE and SVK) followed by football

Most successful olympic sport of the country:

W Artistic Gymnastics - Czechoslovakia

Athletics & Shooting - Czech Republic

Canoeing Slalom - Slovakia