website statistics

Men's Volleyball FIVB Intercontinental Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2019

Totallympics

23 hours ago, LDOG said:

It's not an excuse. I was just giving an explanation of what they were probably thinking. You are from a multi-cultural, multi-racial country so these things are very ingrained into your education.

Exactly. This kind of awareness is hard to expect from Argentinians, but what surprises me is how fast Canadians here point things out and act all holier-than-thou. Canadians are known for being considerate and nice, but I wouldn't always say that based on some of the examples we have here. Is it so hard to try to understand where this gesture comes from? I might not agree with it, but it's the way Argentinians celebrated and they probably meant no harm. This will hopefully serve as a lesson for them. It's really bothersome when people say things like "this is a lame excuse" when they have contact with a completely different culture. It's not a lame excuse, it's an explanation; you either take it for what it is or you act the fool yourself, instead.

Edited by thiago_simoes

14 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Exactly. This kind of awareness is hard to expect from Argentinians, but what surprises me is how fast Canadians here point things out and act all holier-than-thou. Canadians are known for being considerate and nice, but I wouldn't always say that based on some of the examples we have here. Is it so hard to try to understand where this gesture comes from? I might not agree with it, but it's the way Argentinians celebrated and they probably meant no harm. This will hopefully serve as a lesson for them. It's really bothersome when people say things like "this is a lame excuse" when they have contact with a completely different culture. It's not a lame excuse, it's an explanation; you either take it for what it is or you act the fool yourself, instead.

I understand the points being made - but this shows a tremendous lack of judgement and ignorance, especially considering one of the players doing the gesture, Facundo Conte, PLAYED IN CHINA PROFESSIONALLY FOR 2 years. Is that not sufficient enough contact with another culture to understand that such a gesture is wrong? And if he did understand the connotations of the gesture, he damn sure should be able to explain to his teammates that its not cool, and lead by example. The only thing I can surmise is that he's either a willfully ignorant idiot, a blatant racist, or both.

By the way, I am very against much of this political correctness movement. I don't think this is comparable to making fun of the British for drinking tea, as others mentioned. That is a cultural norm - I think you run into trouble when you start poking fun at the way people are biologically created and cannot change. 

1 hour ago, ofan said:

I understand the points being made - but this shows a tremendous lack of judgement and ignorance, especially considering one of the players doing the gesture, Facundo Conte, PLAYED IN CHINA PROFESSIONALLY FOR 2 years. Is that not sufficient enough contact with another culture to understand that such a gesture is wrong? And if he did understand the connotations of the gesture, he damn sure should be able to explain to his teammates that its not cool, and lead by example. The only thing I can surmise is that he's either a willfully ignorant idiot, a blatant racist, or both.

By the way, I am very against much of this political correctness movement. I don't think this is comparable to making fun of the British for drinking tea, as others mentioned. That is a cultural norm - I think you run into trouble when you start poking fun at the way people are biologically created and cannot change. 

That very much depends on the person. Tiny example: a (very) black skier in the Brazilian team who everyone in the team, very much including himself (who generally starts it), often 'makes fun' of. In good spirits, of course.

Sure, you can't assume everyone is just as light-hearted and laughs so easily, but still.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

hace 2 horas, ofan dijo:

At best he learned 2 or 3 words in chinese during his stay (he said himself that he communicated mostly by signs since no one speaks english other than in tourist areas), so I doubt he had the opportunity to talk deeply with any teammate about something like racism. 

Edited by LDOG

4 hours ago, LDOG said:

Canada and Argentina have a distance of only 6 points, clearly that would be the most likely change after the World cup

I don't think so. It's true that there are only 6 points of distance, but Argentina has 50 points from the 2015 WC, Canada 30. For Argentina to overtake Canada, you need ARG in top 4 or ARG 5th and CAN 9th, which is possible but imo not that likely.

hace 9 minutos, Dunadan dijo:

I don't think so. It's true that there are only 6 points of distance, but Argentina has 50 points from the 2015 WC, Canada 30. For Argentina to overtake Canada, you need ARG in top 4 or ARG 5th and CAN 9th, which is possible but imo not that likely.

Yeah, it's not likely in theory but it could just take one or more european powerhouses sending a B team to change everything (or even Canada themselves, I've no clue what they will do).