website statistics

Men's Volleyball FIVB Intercontinental Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2019

Totallympics

Justo ahora, ofan dijo:

Meh, that sounds like a lame excuse. How hard is it for people to just not be ignorant fucking assholes. 

It's not an excuse. I was just giving an explanation of what they were probably thinking. You are from a multi-cultural, multi-racial country so these things are very ingrained into your education. These guys on the other hand likely don't even think they did a racist gesture, to them it was just a celebration. Also, I think you overstimate how well-informed some people are towards these sensitive issues. Not everyone is well educated about it. The three players who did the gestures are not particularly smart guys, must I add.

Edited by LDOG

Wait a minute, what is so "racist" about it? I don't get it. It's simply characteristical feature of Asians, in this specific case, Japaneses. For me it's the same kind of "racism" as drinking tea gesture in the USA-England football game at this year's women's World Cup. If they danced kazachok before going to Moscow would it be also "racist"?

Just now, Vojthas said:

Wait a minute, what is so "racist" about it? I don't get it. It's simply characteristical feature of Asians, in this specific case, Japaneses. For me it's the same kind of "racism" as drinking tea gesture in the USA-England football game at this year's women's World Cup. If they danced kazachok before going to Moscow would it be also "racist"?

There’s a big difference there. The eye gesture is making fun, purposefully and generally in a derogatory manner, to the anatomy of the East Asian populous. The tea gesture or awesome Russian dance are poking fun at a culture. It’s not a huge difference, but it’s one that matters. English people may be offended by the tea gesture, but we not attacked their humanity or anatomy. We have struck a cultural difference at best.

Honestly, it isn’t hard as an athlete to say that there are other ways to celebrate without mocking people. I can already think of a few for teams qualifying for Tokyo. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

50 minutes ago, LDOG said:

The three players who did the gestures are not particularly smart guys, must I add.

That was the easy part to figure out :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

There’s a big difference there. The eye gesture is making fun, purposefully and generally in a derogatory manner, to the anatomy of the East Asian populous. The tea gesture or awesome Russian dance are poking fun at a culture. It’s not a huge difference, but it’s one that matters. English people may be offended by the tea gesture, but we not attacked their humanity or anatomy. We have struck a cultural difference at best.

Honestly, it isn’t hard as an athlete to say that there are other ways to celebrate without mocking people. I can already think of a few for teams qualifying for Tokyo. 

For me it doesn't matter if it's physical or cultural - it's simply a feature. The intention is a key - if someone wants to offend someone by this gesture - yes, that's racist, but if someone simply associates this with something nice (the Olympic adventure is rather nice one, isn't it?) then I don't think it's a bad thing. I'd say more - it makes think "Asian eyes gesture is something bad, because it shows this people are worse" - but they aren't, are they? Then if it's not something bad, you can't say it offends them. Unless you want to - but you can offend anyone with any feature - you are worse, because you are black, you are worse, because you are fan of Arsenal, you are worse, because you prefer tea to coffee... it's only in the head of the offending idiot that he associates some feature with people being worse.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

The tea gesture or awesome Russian dance are poking fun at a culture.

Seriously, poking fun at a culture has led to insanely angry reactions all over, so don't go and say that's not as bad (in my opinion it's not, and this whole volleyball players thing isn't even worth mentioning neither and is just a matter of seeking problems where they're not, but the discussion is there so here we go).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

poking fun at a culture

yeah Kazakhstan is still so happy and ultimately thankfull that the "decadent and evil west" presented them like Boratistan :d

ps. slim mention of Hostel but this is another thing...

about the gesture, well, it depends by the place your are living on, as some users already explained it, in not so multicultural places peoples are seeing on such things differently and it´s not really classified or intended to be racist, I saw once a family of tourists during the ice hockey worlds ordering rice in the dish for their children in a restaurant here doing this gesture, because they didn´t know how to say it, and when totally desperate the man used this gesture and showed eating something small with his fingers, the waitress then immediately understood shouting: Ah ryža (rice) ! everyone was than laughing together and happy. it was quite cute at that moment. but as I said it depend on many factors

Honestly I think making a case out of these fake-racism things just means to feed real racism. Decades of politically correct was the perfect recipe for racism between lower educated people to arise. Racism will be finally over the day when we will all be able to make a joke about a white/black/green/yellow/pink/gay/straight/muslim/catholic/pastafarian person without anyone getting offended by that.