website statistics

Modern Pentathlon ECMP European Championships 2019

Totallympics

Just now, Nickyc707 said:

Choong :GBR and Asadauskaite :LTUhave already qualified in the men's and women's events respectively so if they finish in the top eight the ninth placed athletes will win the quota. No country can take more than two athletes to the Olympics in each event, so any excess quotas will presumably go to lower placed athletes at these championships, although I am not certain of this.. Finally no athlete can win more than one quota for his country and the individual who wins the quote gets the place in Tokyo. Hope that makes sense.

I should add that the reason that I'm uncertain whether excess quotas won at these championships will be reallocated is that in the last cycle if countries won more than two quotas they kept them and the selectors then chose which two athletes they sent to Rio. If that still applies then I guess you can only win a quota if you finish in the top eight or nine depending on the performances of Choong and Asadauskaite.

Just now, Nickyc707 said:

Choong :GBR and Asadauskaite :LTUhave already qualified in the men's and women's events respectively so if they finish in the top eight the ninth placed athletes will win the quota. No country can take more than two athletes to the Olympics in each event, so any excess quotas will presumably go to lower placed athletes at these championships, although I am not certain of this.. Finally no athlete can win more than one quota for his country and the individual who wins the quote gets the place in Tokyo. Hope that makes sense.

They will use the World Ranking for the reallocation, not the Championship results, so I think it doesn't matter which NOC will get the 9th place here. 

https://www.uipmworld.org/sites/default/files/final_-_2019-02-20_-_tokyo_2020_-_qualification_system_-_modern_pentathlon_-_eng_1.pdf

" Europe - 8 highest places with a maximum of one (1) quota place per NOC

Should the athlete who obtained one (1) of the quota places through the Continental Championships has already qualified via the 2019 UIPM World Cup Final or the 2019 UIPM World Championships, the quota place will be allocated to the next highest placed athlete, not yet qualified, at the respective Continental Championship. "

4 minutes ago, Vektor said:

They will use the World Ranking for the reallocation, not the Championship results, so I think it doesn't matter which NOC will get the 9th place here. 

That the ninth place finisher will get a quota if finishing behind Choong or Asadauskaite is the part that I'm certain of. It's the other element I'm uncertain of.

Just now, Dunadan said:

https://www.uipmworld.org/sites/default/files/final_-_2019-02-20_-_tokyo_2020_-_qualification_system_-_modern_pentathlon_-_eng_1.pdf

" Europe - 8 highest places with a maximum of one (1) quota place per NOC

Should the athlete who obtained one (1) of the quota places through the Continental Championships has already qualified via the 2019 UIPM World Cup Final or the 2019 UIPM World Championships, the quota place will be allocated to the next highest placed athlete, not yet qualified, at the respective Continental Championship. "

I think this only matters when the Continental Championships happen after the WCh (so Asia and Oceania), because....

"Three (3) quota places will be allocated to the three (3) highest placed athletes at the 2019 UIPM World Championships unless previously qualified through the 2019 UIPM World Cup Final or Continental Championships in which case the quota place(s) will be allocated to next highest ranked athlete(s) on the UIPM Olympic World Ranking List of 1 June 2020"

So the only way the 9th place can matter here (in the NOC ranking) if Choong or Asadauskaite end up in the Top8 and their teammates won't finish in a qualifying position. 

2 hours ago, wumo26 said:

There were 62 participants in the men's qualification... 

Yeah, but that is only enough for two qualification groups. With 8 spots on the line, you'd expect everyone to go all out in this one, because it's probably the easiest chance to qualify.

Men's Olympic qualification standings after 2 events

1. (1.) James Cooke, GBR - 565 pts

2. (2.) Alexander Lifanov, RUS - 554 pts

3. (4.) Valentin Prades, FRA - 539 pts

4. (5.) Bence Demeter, HUN - 533 pts

5. (6.) Pavels Svecovs, LAT - 533 pts

6. (7.) Justinas Kinderis, LTU - 519 pts

7. (8.) Sebastian Stasiak, POL - 518 pts

8. (9.) Jan Kuf, CZE - 516 pts

9. (10.) Patrick Dogue, GER - 515 pts

10. (11.) Ivan Khamtsou, BLR - 510 pts

11. (12.) Matteo Cicinelli, ITA - 509 pts