website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2019

Totallympics

13 hours ago, kapil857 said:

Does anyone know what seeding system will be followed at the Asian qualifier?

Also what about the Olympics itself? I know every cat in Olympics will have 16 wrestlers - so do we still have 4 seeds in every cat or just 2?

I searched a bit and in fact there will be "seeding system" for all Olympic qualifiers.

but it will be different

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/important-updates-ranking-series-olympic-qualification-events

they are going to use 3 tournaments, 2019 Worlds, 2020 Continental Champs, one Ranking series tournament in 2020. and you have to participate in two of them to be eligible to be seeded !!!

and I don't think this is going to help much. for example Iran most probably will try different wrestlers for the Olympic Qualifiers and even if they send the same wrestler, this is highly unlikely to send the same guy to the Asian Championship and/or a ranking event short time before the Olympic Qualifier. I think most of top wrestling nations will do the same. it just doesn't make sense . we may end up having Chinese Taipei as top seed ! :d (as the only wrestler participated in two of these 3 events)

and what's the point of being "seeded" when other top guys are unseeded. :mumble: you still can get them right in the first round

the article says only top 2 will be seeded for the Olympic qualifier but I think Olympic itself will be the same as the WCh. top 4 will be seeded.

as for Asia, let's just hope Kazakhstan doesn't do the drawing :d

7 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Just browsed about Dagestan and looks like some good wrestlers come from here. What do you think is the reason for their success? 

Probably the same thing that made Khabib Nurmagomedov what he is. 

Its their national sport. They are wrestling from toddler years. And it isnt an exagerration. Its in their blood, competing, physical strength, dominating the opponent. They have great tradition, great coaches, large basis of wrestlers. They are physically strong people, and they are using that strength. That would be it,in a nutshell.

13 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Just browsed about Dagestan and looks like some good wrestlers come from here. What do you think is the reason for their success? 

Not just "some good wrestlers" most of Russian top wrestlers are coming from Dagestan and even most of Russian-born wrestlers representing other countries are also from Dagestan. for example 97kg final between Sadullaev and Sharifov (AZE) was battle of Dagesntani wrestlers.

good weather probably :d there is something in Caspian Sea about wrestling. because more than half of Iranian top wrestlers also come from the province of Mazandaran, the southern coast of Caspian Sea.

Edited by MHSN

here is my preview about the Pan American Qualifiers.

I skip that 1) 2) 3) things. just keep in mind they are listed in order

Freestyle

57: :USA:CUB:VEN:CAN:COL:DOM

huge gap between USA / Cuba and the rest. even though Cuba had nobody in the worlds in this weight but they have 2 good options here.

65: :CUB:USA:DOM

again huge huge huge gap between top 2 and the rest. nobody among the rest convinced me to be 4th in the list so I left it with 3. it could be 2 actually

74: :PUR:CUB:COL:CAN:DOM

the Colombian guy (who is in fact American) can surprise top 2.

86: :USA:CUB:VEN:PER:PUR:CAN

I assumed USA will be represented by someone better  than Downey. if they send him again Cuba will be the favorite. VEN is also not that far behind them

97: :CUB:VEN:DOM:CRC

I assumed Salas will be back for Cuba, still it could be only 2. I had hard time to pick more than 2 wrestlers for this weight. CRC guy is American. and not that bad.

125: :USA:CAN:VEN:BRA

Didn't list Cuba here, because in past couple of years they used Oscar Pino in this weight. now he qualified Cuba in Greco-Roman. I don't think per rules he can Cuba in another event. but with Cuba you never know. they may send someone better ! or make Mijain Lopez return the favor and qualify them in freestyle lol

--------------------------

Greco

60: :ECU:CUB:COL:USA:MEX:BRA

67: :USA:BRA:VEN:MEX

77: :USA:VEN:CUB:COL

87: :CUB:VEN:MEX:USA:COL

97: :CUB:USA:VEN:HON

130: :CHI:USA:VEN:BRA:ARG