website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2019

Totallympics

55 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The other option would be to kick men's freestyle and have men's Greco-Roman and women's freestyle, but I imagine the African and Pan American nations would be quite upset and I doubt the IOC would go that route.

To be honest the UWW did this to themselves, the push for gender equality has been very clear for a long time. You'd think they would have tried to organize women's Greco-Roman after the whole almost getting kicked out of the Olympics fiasco. Now that boxing is starting to move closer to gender equality (assuming it even stays in the Olympics) the target will no doubt move to wrestling.

Or just don't do anything and keep it like it is now. Everyone is happy, done deal. In fact, wrestling has fewer quotas, than it deserves. Judo shouldn't have a 100 athletes more for fewer events, than wrestling...

16 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Or just don't do anything and keep it like it is now. Everyone is happy, done deal. In fact, wrestling has fewer quotas, than it deserves. Judo shouldn't have a 100 athletes more for fewer events, than wrestling...

Sadly that's not an option, you either have to change or get left behind.

I do agree that wrestling should have more quotas, but the same can be said for a bunch of other sports.

guys, Greco-Roman Wrestling is the history of this sport...this is the discipline that was present since the very first edition of the modern Games...and it doesn't include women's competitions...point.

I just wish all the worst to those who even think about a further cut to the Wrestling Olympic program...

gender equality has really become an obsession that doesn't make any sense in the way it's intended right now...

it's OK having a place for both men and women within the entire sport, but nobody should even think that they must have the same number of events and athletes, when it's more than obvious that no sport in the world has so many female participants as males (not to mention that a relevant part of the world doesn't support -to say the least- women's sport at all)...

p.s. and someone should explain to me why nobody think about kicking artistic swimming and rhythmic gymnastics out of the Games program, as they blatantly reject any male presence (even when it should be possible to expand in that direction, but the IOC just said no to FINA when they proposed to switch from the all female duets to the mixed duets already in time for Tokyo 2020)? :whistle:

frankly, I have to repeat myself once again...I find irritating all this talking of this farce named gender equality...and even more I find annoying every kind of justification of this sh*t which is just destroying the world of the Olympic sports as it's always been appreciated by the only fans the Games can have...:evil::pope:

Maybe that question will show my ignorance in terms of wrestling, but why can't we just have women's greco-roman? Ofc it would take time for ths competition to become serious, but just why women doesn't compete in GR?

I am unashamed, at getting nothing done.

Just now, szy123 said:

Maybe that question will show my ignorance in terms of wrestling, but why can't we just have women's greco-roman? Ofc it would take time for ths competition to become serious, but just why women doesn't compete in GR?

Women's strength is based on legs and hips, their upper-body - the one the Greco-Roman wrestling is most "interested" in - is physically worse developed (while visually...:cool:) . There are some tries and maybe with the feminism going further and further (sometimes maybe too far - but that's not the point) we will see the women's Greco-Roman wrestlng in the future - surely not in Paris, maybe not even in LA.

Just now, szy123 said:

once someone from IOC asked this from UWW officials (during the meeting about keeping wrestling at the Olympics) it was Carol Huynh if I'm not wrong and the answer was "we never received any kind of interest from women about Greco-Roman"

women's GR simply doesn't exist as far as I know. apparently because that needs upper body strength ! (don't laugh at me that's what some "experts" claim)

2 hours ago, phelps said:

p.s. and someone should explain to me why nobody think about kicking artistic swimming and rhythmic gymnastics out of the Games program, as they blatantly reject any male presence (even when it should be possible to expand in that direction, but the IOC just said no to FINA when they proposed to switch from the all female duets to the mixed duets already in time for Tokyo 2020)? :whistle:

Mostly because they are being used to keep gender numbers more balanced. Don't worry, mixed artistic duet will be here soon enough. :p

4 hours ago, phelps said:

guys, Greco-Roman Wrestling is the history of this sport...this is the discipline that was present since the very first edition of the modern Games...and it doesn't include women's competitions...point.

I just wish all the worst to those who even think about a further cut to the Wrestling Olympic program...

And it very much looks like a historic (but outdated) discipline. Maybe in 1920s Greco-Roman bouts were interesting, but today most matches are decided by often eyebrow-raising cautions and advantages given...

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

I want to take a quick look for the Asian qualified wrestlers

I'm listing the favorites in order (I mean in order in my own opinion) for the 2 Asian quotas.

60:

Qualified: :KAZ:UZB:IRI:JPN

favorites: 1. :KGZ 2. :PRK 3. :CHN 4. :KOR

67:

Qualified: none

favorites: 1. :KOR 2. :KAZ 3. :JPN 4. :IRI 5. :KGZ 6. :CHN 7. :UZB

* I assumed Japan is going to use Ota in this weight. without him they will be behind IRN. KGZ and CHN

77:

Qualified: :KAZ:UZB:IRI

favorites: 1. :KOR 2. :CHN 3. :KGZ 4. :IND

* Kyrgyz top guy Makhmudov was absent here , I assume he will be available for the Asian qualifiers, without him they will be behind IND.

87:

Qualified: :UZB:KGZ

favorites: 1. :IRI 2. :KAZ 3. :CHN 4. :IND 5. :JPN

97:

Qualified: none

favorites: 1. :IRI 2. :KGZ 3. :UZB 4. :KAZ 5. :CHN 6. :KOR

130:

Qualified: :IRI

favorites: 1. :UZB 2. :KGZ 3. :KOR 4. :KAZ 5. :CHN

of course it's possible with blind draw to see all of these guys in one side and someone else takes the quota from the "easier" half.

something interesting about Japan is as much as they are VERY strong in first 3 weights (only one of them is Olympic weight) they are very weak in other weights. that's not surprising in general but the difference is bigger than ever nowadays. I didn't even list their 77kg as a chance for the quota.

and I think only for Korea (77) and Iran (87 and 97) the Olympic quota looks almost guaranteed (nothing is guaranteed but you know what I mean) also I just noticed South Korea (despite having 2 former World Champs and 2 other World medalists in their squad) failed to win a single quota here !!!! :yikes:

UWW tried to promote our Swedish friend Alex Kessidis by posting a video of him in his instagram but instead they revealed him as a cheater ! personally I didn't notice that during the match. and since it happened so fast I think even the Armenian wrestler didn't notice that.

if you see this .he is clearly using his right knee to push the Armenian guy for the throw. what's amazing is he did exactly the same thing in another match (against Iran)

he is such a smart wrestler. but I really hope from now on they focus more on his throws. he has a hubby of using his leg.