website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2019

Totallympics

Just now, mrv86 said:

@MHSN does Leyva :MEX stands a chance against :CRO & :BLR to reach the bronze medal match?

he is not the favorite for sure but none of these guys are impossible to beat for him. so yes of course he has a chance, not big but realistic. it's a bit hard to remember every match when you follow 2-3 mats at the same time :d but if I remember correctly despite the final score, Huklik (CRO) created more problems for Beleniuk.

Just now, Federer91 said:

Disappointing day and i'm getting frustrated already in the beginning of these Championships :( I prefer a quota over the bronze in a non-olympic weight .

I agree with you, but it's still better bronze than a pumpkin medal, even though it's in the non-Olympic weight

let's take a look at tomorrow draw, this time I prefer to be more optimistic toward the Iranian wrestlers.:d

60:

1) looks very easy for Emelin, none of these guys can touch Emelin, maybe small chance for Temirov. but this is actually very good for Temirov. with Emelin being the huge favorite for going to the final. Temirov is next in line for the quota.

2) I can see Ainagulov and Lizatovic winning two matches to face each other in very important QF match. being a former world medalist and most important being from the host nation I give more chance to the Kazakh guy. with Emelin waiting the winner in the SF, they both know they have to win the QF.

3) we have 3 big names in this quarter, Fumita, Ciobanu and Tasmuradov. as far as I know Fumita beat Ota in japanese trials and forced him to try his chance in a non-Olympic weight and today we saw how good Ota is. that makes me think how good is Fumita ?! he lost at the Asian Champs but I think that was an accident. I think the winner from this quarter will go to the final. it's hard to pick between these 3 big names.

4) as usual we have more wrestlers in the last quarter, I see 8-9 wrestlers trying for the quota from this part. they are mostly in the same level. there is no clear favorite here. I go with my favorite wrestler Zholchubekov but this is wide open for everybody. our wrestler in this part is lucky to get TKM in the first round. then he needs 3 big wins for the quota. something like 10% for him I guess.

my picks: :RUS:KAZ:UKR:JPN:KGZ:MDA

77:

1) I'm sure the last wrestler Geraei wanted to face in the first round was Kim HW and he got Kim !! Geraei is probably our last chance for something more than bronze here. the good thing is if you lose to Kim. he can put you back in the repechage. there are some other "good" wrestlers in this quarter, like POL, AZE, GEO, MDA and even SWE but I think the winner of Geraei/Kim will go all the way. Geraei also has to pray for other wrestlers to take care of the Israeli guy. you know why.

2) no huge favorite but still there are 3-4 good wrestlers here. it will be close between Cengiz, Starcevic, Liakh and even Chalyan. I give more chance to the Turk but this is far from being a sure thing.

3) this is the "easiest" quarter in this weight IMO. looks easy for the other Lorincz, the German guy is the Euro silver medalist, he is probably the biggest treat for Lorincz but I think he can manage.

4) there are some good wrestlers here but no need to mention them because we have two very big names here. Vlasov and Nemes. I think one of them will go to the final and bring the other one back for the bronze medal.

my picks: :KOR:TUR:IRI:HUN:RUS:SRB

130:

1) on paper it looks very easy for the world champion Semenov. but I know our wrestler Monjazi here is very tricky. he is a big thrower but still Semenov is the clear favorite. I expect Semenov to go to the final, in this case Monazi will be favorite against whoever comes from the other side, UKR or UZB.

2) I think the 2nd round match between Pino and Heiki Lucky will determine the Olympic quota from this side, I pick Pino even though I don't know how much prepared he is. he was training freestyle in past few months. the possible SF between Pino and Semenov will detemine the other quota. knowing how lucky is Heiki. I won't be surprised if Pino finds a way to win the SF. :d

3) this quarter is the easiest by far, no big name here, the Korean Kim surprised everybody last year but I don't think this is going to happen again. I think Pop from Germany will win the quota. he was terrible recently but this is a draw he could only dream of. I see only the Azerbaijani-Georgian guy a serious challenger.

4) some big names here, Kayaalp is the huge favorite. I don't think anybody can beat him here. the next quota will be between Kajaia and Acosta from Chile. there are some other good wrestlers though.

my picks: :RUS:CUB:IRI:GER:TUR:GEO

Edited by MHSN

Men's Greco-Roman Wrestling, Day #2 Medallists

-55kg
Gold: :GEO Nugzari Tsurtsumia
Silver: :KAZ Khorlan Zhakansha
Bronze: :JPN Shota Ogawa & :AZE Eldaniz Azizli

-63kg
Gold: :JPN Shinobu Ota
Silver: :RUS Stepan Maryanyan
Bronze: :KAZ Almat Kebispayev & :ARM Slavik Galstyan

-72kg
Gold: :RUS Abuiazid Mantsigov
Silver: :UZB Aram Vardanyan
Bronze: :HUN Balint Korpasi & :BUL Aik Mnatsakanian

-82kg
Gold: :GEO Lasha Gobadze
Silver: :AZE Rafig Huseynov
Bronze: :IRI Saeid Abdevali & :CHN Qian Haitao

Men's Greco-Roman Wrestling, Day #3 Finals

-67kg
Gold Medal match: :CUB Ismael Borrero Molina vs :RUS Artem Surkov
Bronze Medal match #1: :DEN Fredrik Holmquist Bjerrehuus vs :SRB Mate Nemes / :TPE Chen Yan-Kai / :SUI Andreas Vetsch
Bronze Medal match #2: :EGY Mohamed Ibrahim Elsayed vs :KOR Ryu Han Su / :GER Frank Staebler / :IRI Hamed Tab / :ROU Mihai Radu Mihut

-87kg
Gold Medal match: :UKR Zhan Beleniuk vs :HUN Viktor Lorincz
Bronze Medal match #1: :GER Denis Maksymilian Kudla vs :BLR Mikalai Stadub / :MEX Alfonso Antonio Leyva Yepez / :CRO Ivan Huklek
Bronze Medal match #2: :UZB Rustam Assakalov vs :CHN Na Junjie / :TKM Shyhazberdi Ovelekov / :KGZ Atabek Azisbekov

-97kg
Gold Medal match: :RUS Musa Evloev vs :ARM Artur Aleksanyan
Bronze Medal match #1: :SRB Mihail Kajaia vs :POL Tadeusz Michalik / :UZB Jahongir Turdiev / :JPN Yuta Nara
Bronze Medal match #2: :GEO Giorgi Melia vs :IRI Mohammad Saravi / :TUR Cenk Ildem / :BLR Aliaksandr Hrabovik / :FIN Matti Elias Kuosmanen

Edited by phelps

@MHSN how realistic is the chance for Ota to go up to -67kg next year, if this Fumita is so good to close the door for him in the -60kg class?

I mean, I don't any other Japanese so good in that class...he might (should) think something like that or do you think he's going to try and face Fumita also in next year's Jap trials with the heavy risk to watch the Games on TV?

Just now, phelps said:

@MHSN how realistic is the chance for Ota to go up to -67kg next year, if this Fumita is so good to close the door for him in the -60kg class?

I mean, I don't any other Japanese so good in that class...he might (should) think something like that or do you think he's going to try and face Fumita also in next year's Jap trials with the heavy risk to watch the Games on TV?

they have a very interesting rule in Japan wrestling. whoever wins a medal here, will secure a spot for the Olympic team. specially in women's wrestling their 2019 World team trial was also like the Olympic trial.

if Fumita medals here, Ota has no other option but trying 67kg and I think even today (with 4kg less weight) he could beat their 67kg wrestler who was very weak. his favorite technique (I don't know what's the English word for that but we call it "Fito" in Iran) needs lots of power to excute . it will be hard for him to do that to heavier wrestlers but this guy is fantastic. I would try my chance if I was him.

Just now, MHSN said:

they have a very interesting rule in Japan wrestling. whoever wins a medal here, will secure a spot for the Olympic team. specially in women's wrestling their 2019 World team trial was also like the Olympic trial.

if Fumita medals here, Ota has no other option but trying 67kg and I think even today (with 4kg less weight) he could beat their 67kg wrestler who was very weak. his favorite technique (I don't know what's the English word for that but we call it "Fito" in Iran) needs lots of power to excute . it will be hard for him to do that to heavier wrestlers but this guy is fantastic. I would try my chance if I was him.

yeah, today he was so impressive against a talented guy like Maryanyan...

his move looks like a spinning/rotating head lock (I have to watch his match again and listen to the english sound to hear how they call it)...it's really spectacular...and I think the key for a move like that is more the precise grab and the speed of the execution rather than the pure strenght, so I think it might work well also at 67kg...