website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2019

Totallympics

Just now, hckosice said:

Don´t know. But since it´s primarily a World Championships so I guess he can compete, since he competed in some worldwide juniors competitions already before

well this is not an insurance for anything...

"our" guys named before already competed last year at the European (Kudiiiamagomedov) and/or World Championships (Conyedo even won the bronze medal) among the seniors, but because the UWW and the IOC rules in terms of elegibility are completely different, this year they can't be on the mat...

I know, it looks crazy, but this is how it works with UWW...

I don't think our teams are official yet, but they are probably going to be these. The more interesting news are that 3-time European champion Biliyana Dudova won't be competing after her suicide attempt in may. After what happened, it's for the best, that our coaches are holding her back until the qualifying tournaments next year. 

On the flipside, after a long absence in GR are returning former World Champion Ivo Angelov and European Champion Tarek Abdelslam. 

GR:

60 kg - Ivo Angelov  

63 kg - Rumen Savchev

67 kg - David Dimitrov

72 kg - Aik Mnatskanian 

77 kg - Daniel Aleksandrov

87 kg - Tarek Abdelslam

97 kg - Kiril Milov

130 kg - Miloslav Metodiev 

In the Olympic weights, if we get 3 out of 6, it would be good, even though 5 out 6 have a chance (without Dimitrov). Realistically Milov and Aleksandrov are the ones for me, who have the best shot, because i don't know in what condition are Angelov and Abdelslam. Metodiev depends on the draw, since he will lose to the big names, but can beat the ones, who are not that experienced. 

On the women's side, like i said, sadly there is no Dudova. Also Olympic-silver medalist Elitsa Yankova is missing again and pretty much think her career is over by now. 

50 kg - Miglena Selishka 

53 kg - Evelina Nikolova

57 kg - Mimi Hristova

62 kg - Taybe Yusein

65 kg - Yuliana Yaneva

68 kg - Sofiya Georgieva

76 kg - Mariya Oryashkova 

I'm the most optimistic about this team and 4 out 6 (50 to 62) is going to be amazing, but again, depends on the draws for everyone not named Taybe Yusein. No chance for 68 /76.

Haven't found anything about our freestyle team, so can't say much. 

24 minutes ago, phelps said:

p.s. @MHSN why don't you write a letter to UWW explaining the correct interpretation of the names of the Iranian athletes? ;)

I'm looking at the entry list and I see some scary 200-letter names :yikes: which I'm sure they are not the right ones...

I'm sure they know that. there are 1 or 2 Iranians working for UWW. I understand athletes with long surnames, that's their own fault not adding a space between parts of their names but the funny thing is they are making it even worst by adding father's name. no other sport federation does that . which is not part of the name in Iran. (the Iranian naming system is like yours, but some names are consisted of 2 or 3 parts)

let me make it easier for you. this is how we know them in Iran.

Freestyle:

57: Reza Ahmadali ATRINAGHARCHI ==> Reza Atri

61: Behnam Eshagh EHSANPOOR  ==> Behnam Ehsanpour

65: Amirmohammad Babak YAZDANICHERATI ==> Amir Mohammad Yazdani

70: Yones Aliakbar EMAMICHOGHAEI ==> Younes Emami

74: Reza Alireza AFZALIPAEMAMI ==> Reza Afzali

79: Bahman Mohammad TEYMOURI ==> Bahman Teymouri

86: Hassan Aliazam YAZDANICHARATI ==> Hassan Yazdani

92: Alireza Mohammad KARIMIMACHIANI ==> Alireza Karimi

97: Ali Khalil SHABANIBENGAR ==> Ali Shaabani

125: Yadollah Mohammadkazem MOHEBI ==> Yadollah Mohebbi

Greco-Roman

55: Pouya Mohammad NASERPOUR ==> Pouya Nasserpour

60: Ali Reza Ayat Ollah NEJATI  ==> Alireza Nejati

63: Meysam Karamali DALKHANI ==> Meysam Delkhani

67: Hamed Mousa TAB ==> Hamed Tab

72: Amin Yavar KAVIYANINEJAD ==> Amin Kavianinejad

77: Mohammadali Abdolhamid GERAEI ==> Mohammad Ali Geraei

82: Saeid Morad ABDVALI ==> Saeid Abdevali

87: Ramin Soltanmorad TAHERISARTANG ==> Ramin Taheri

97: Mohammadhadi Abdollah SARAVI ==> Mohammad Hadi Saravi

130: Amir Mohammadali GHASEMIMONJEZI ==> Amir Ghasemi-Monjazi

there are only 4 former world medalists in this team. we had some surprising decisions by our coach, leaving Hossein Nouri and Mehdi Aliyari ( world bronze medalists in 2017 and 2018) at home. this is a very young team, 8 of them will have their first ever World Senior Champs and 4 of them were in our junior team last year !!!

in freestyle we had some disappointing news in past couple of weeks, Reza Yazdani and Parviz Hadi (at least Hadi was a sure medal) had to withdraw because of injuries. we have some very good medal chances for non-Olympic weights but I think the only guaranteed Olympic quota is 86kg Hassan Yazdani who will win the gold most probably. for the rest we have to wait and see. most of them are very young and they can surprise everybody.

and speaking about medals. I'm sure about two medals in freestyle, anything else will depend on the draw. our 97kg guy is also promising he might do some damages.

in Greco I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Iran got some great results in World Juniors in past couple of years. this team is mostly based on those Junior teams. I think 72 and 82 are our best chances for the gold (both of them non-Olympic weights unfortunately)

I think the only weight with absolutely no chance for Iran is 74kg. Afzali is probably the worst wrestler Iran sent to the World Championship in past 20 years.

Just now, MHSN said:

I'm sure they know that. there are 1 or 2 Iranians working for UWW. I understand athletes with long surnames, that's their own fault not adding a space between parts of their names but the funny thing is they are making it even worst by adding father's name. no other sport federation does that . which is not part of the name in Iran. (the Iranian naming system is like yours, but some names are consisted of 2 or 3 parts)

FIS sometimes does with Russian ski jumpers :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

And my annual question: is Abdulrashid Sadulaev still as good as an alien and competing here? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

And my annual question: is Abdulrashid Sadulaev still as good as an alien and competing here? :p 

well he is not eating everybody as he used to be. but he is still beating everybody

and I think he just changed his style a bit. it's not like he can't beat everybody 10-0. he just doesn't see a reason for that. a 3-0 win is enough sometimes.

Thanks. Thrashing everybody except Snyder is what I'm hoping for, as long as Snyder does the same and we can see another epic final :cheer: 

Just now, MHSN said:

let me make it easier for you. this is how we know them in Iran.

Freestyle:

57: Reza Ahmadali ATRINAGHARCHI ==> Reza Atri

61: Behnam Eshagh EHSANPOOR  ==> Behnam Ehsanpour

65: Amirmohammad Babak YAZDANICHERATI ==> Amir Mohammad Yazdani

70: Yones Aliakbar EMAMICHOGHAEI ==> Younes Emami

74: Reza Alireza AFZALIPAEMAMI ==> Reza Afzali

79: Bahman Mohammad TEYMOURI ==> Bahman Teymouri

86: Hassan Aliazam YAZDANICHARATI ==> Hassan Yazdani

92: Alireza Mohammad KARIMIMACHIANI ==> Alireza Karimi

97: Ali Khalil SHABANIBENGAR ==> Ali Shaabani

125: Yadollah Mohammadkazem MOHEBI ==> Yadollah Mohebbi

Greco-Roman

55: Pouya Mohammad NASERPOUR ==> Pouya Nasserpour

60: Ali Reza Ayat Ollah NEJATI  ==> Alireza Nejati

63: Meysam Karamali DALKHANI ==> Meysam Delkhani

67: Hamed Mousa TAB ==> Hamed Tab

72: Amin Yavar KAVIYANINEJAD ==> Amin Kavianinejad

77: Mohammadali Abdolhamid GERAEI ==> Mohammad Ali Geraei

82: Saeid Morad ABDVALI ==> Saeid Abdevali

87: Ramin Soltanmorad TAHERISARTANG ==> Ramin Taheri

97: Mohammadhadi Abdollah SARAVI ==> Mohammad Hadi Saravi

130: Amir Mohammadali GHASEMIMONJEZI ==> Amir Ghasemi-Monjazi

there are only 4 former world medalists in this team. we had some surprising decisions by our coach, leaving Hossein Nouri and Mehdi Aliyari ( world bronze medalists in 2017 and 2018) at home. this is a very young team, 8 of them will have their first ever World Senior Champs and 4 of them were in our junior team last year !!!

in freestyle we had some disappointing news in past couple of weeks, Reza Yazdani and Parviz Hadi (at least Hadi was a sure medal) had to withdraw because of injuries. we have some very good medal chances for non-Olympic weights but I think the only guaranteed Olympic quota is 86kg Hassan Yazdani who will win the gold most probably. for the rest we have to wait and see. most of them are very young and they can surprise everybody.

and speaking about medals. I'm sure about two medals in freestyle, anything else will depend on the draw. our 97kg guy is also promising he might do some damages.

in Greco I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Iran got some great results in World Juniors in past couple of years. this team is mostly based on those Junior teams. I think 72 and 82 are our best chances for the gold (both of them non-Olympic weights unfortunately)

I think the only weight with absolutely no chance for Iran is 74kg. Afzali is probably the worst wrestler Iran sent to the World Championship in past 20 years.

thanks a lot...:yes

about the Iranian names, I tried to guess...and I must admit that I guess right for most of them...

the only 2 I was wrong are Kavianinejad (I'd have cut the -nejad part) and Ghasemi-Monjezi (I didn't expect he keeps the double family name)...

and of course I'd have missed all the double given names (the Mohammad part for Yazdani in the 65kg FS, the Ali part for Geraei and the Hadi part for Saravi)...

the rest, I guessed right...:d

16 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

I don't think our teams are official yet, but they are probably going to be these. The more interesting news are that 3-time European champion Biliyana Dudova won't be competing after her suicide attempt in may. After what happened, it's for the best, that our coaches are holding her back until the qualifying tournaments next year. 

On the flipside, after a long absence in GR are returning former World Champion Ivo Angelov and European Champion Tarek Abdelslam. 

GR:

60 kg - Ivo Angelov  

63 kg - Rumen Savchev

67 kg - David Dimitrov

72 kg - Aik Mnatskanian 

77 kg - Daniel Aleksandrov

87 kg - Tarek Abdelslam

97 kg - Kiril Milov

130 kg - Miloslav Metodiev 

In the Olympic weights, if we get 3 out of 6, it would be good, even though 5 out 6 have a chance (without Dimitrov). Realistically Milov and Aleksandrov are the ones for me, who have the best shot, because i don't know in what condition are Angelov and Abdelslam. Metodiev depends on the draw, since he will lose to the big names, but can beat the ones, who are not that experienced. 

On the women's side, like i said, sadly there is no Dudova. Also Olympic-silver medalist Elitsa Yankova is missing again and pretty much think her career is over by now. 

50 kg - Miglena Selishka 

53 kg - Evelina Nikolova

57 kg - Mimi Hristova

62 kg - Taybe Yusein

65 kg - Yuliana Yaneva

68 kg - Sofiya Georgieva

76 kg - Mariya Oryashkova 

I'm the most optimistic about this team and 4 out 6 (50 to 62) is going to be amazing, but again, depends on the draws for everyone not named Taybe Yusein. No chance for 68 /76.

Haven't found anything about our freestyle team, so can't say much. 

I can see these names on the UWW list:

- Georgi Valentinov Vangelov (57kg)

- Mihail Iliev Georgiev (65kg)

- Ali Pasha Ruslanovich Umarpashaev (70kg)

- Miroslav Stefanov Kirov (74kg)

- Svetoslav Zhivkov Dimitrov (86kg)

the full list can be found here (the document linked at the bottom of the article):

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/wrestling-releases-entry-lists-2019-world-championships