website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2019

Totallympics

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

wait, hold on a minute ! How on earth the guy managed to be seeded ? I mean I can not remember a sigle decent result from him since the random world silver medal he won a nice couple of years ago ?  :lol:

wrestling is not like Tennis. some top wrestlers prefer only 1 or 2 competitions per year. it's based on 2018 World Champs, 2019 continental champs and 4 selected international tournaments.

for example in that 86kg weight our guy who is the clear favorite for the gold, is ranked 3rd because he didn't wrestle in Asian Champs. only went to one of those international tournaments. that result + his 2018 Worlds result was only good enough for 3rd place in the ranking which I believe he doesn't care because the only wrestler in the world capable of challenging him is unseeded and can be anywhere in the draw.

as I said, the best thing about being seeded is receiving a bye in the first round. beside that it's not a sure thing if it helps. I see only in 3 weights (74, 97 and 125) all of gold medal favorites in top 4. for other weights there is at least one gold medal favorite being unseeded

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, hckosice said:

Mens Freestyle

• Taimuraz Salkazanov  (-79kg)

how the hell Salkazanov jumped up two weight classes ? he was 70kg last year and logically he should try 74kg this year which is an Olympic weight. are u sure there is no mistake here ?

Just now, MHSN said:

how the hell Salkazanov jumped up two weight classes ? he was 70kg last year and logically he should try 74kg this year which is an Olympic weight. are u sure there is no mistake here ?

No idea, Maybe it´s just a mistake, I don´t know much about in fact, I just discovered it in the official document of our federation, when searching about the nomination for the WCh. https://www.zapasenie.sk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/nominacia-ms-s-nur-sultan-14.8.-2019.pdf

I am a bit disappointed to not see Akhsarbek Gulaev didn´t get a chance to compete at the worlds seniors though. how you can start learning and gain experience if you´ll not get a chance...

Just now, hckosice said:

how you can start learning and gain experience if you´ll not get a chance...

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the general theme of a majority of Dutch sports federations :cheer: :( 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

yes, no mistake...he's really listed in the 79kg class...

@hckosice

about Gulaev...is there a chance that he's not yet eligible for an Olympic qualification tournament because of the stricter IOC rules on changing Nationality (like our Cuban and Russian guys)? :mumble:

meanwhile, for what concerns Italy, it's confirmed that we won't be able to start Abraham Conyedo (men's FS -97kg) nor Shamil Kudiiamagomedov (men's FS -86kg) nor Nikoloz Kakhelashvili (men's GR -97kg, replaced by "granny" Daigoro Timoncini)...

that fuck*n' Italian burocracy! :facepalm::wall:

our team will feature only:

- Givi Davidovi (FS -57kg)

- Frank Chamizo Marquez (FS -74kg)

- Jacopo Sandron (GR -60kg)

- Riccardo Vito Abbrescia (GR -77kg)

- Fabio Parisi (GR -87kg)

- Daigoro Timoncini (GR -97kg)

- Arianna Carieri (WW -57kg)

- Aurora Campagna (WW -62kg)

- Dalma Caneva (WW -68kg)

- Eleni Pjollaj (WW -76kg)

p.s. @MHSN why don't you write a letter to UWW explaining the correct interpretation of the names of the Iranian athletes? ;)

I'm looking at the entry list and I see some scary 200-letter names :yikes: which I'm sure they are not the right ones...

Edited by phelps

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Everyone is gunning for those Olympic quotas, so expect dirty stuff happening on and off the mat. 

Cool, can I watch an off-the-mat live stream? :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Cool, can I watch an off-the-mat live stream? :cheer: 

once I heard (back in 2010) Kazakhs paid a Korean referee in the men's room. I don't think there will be live stream for that :d

but yeah with Kazakhstan being the host, we should expect dirty things. last year we had unbelievably one sided draws in favor of the host nation. I won't be surprised to see that again.

18 minutes ago, phelps said:

@hckosice

about Gulaev...is there a chance that he's not yet eligible for an Olympic qualification tournament because of the stricter IOC rules on changing Nationality (like our Cuban and Russian guys)?

Don´t know. But since it´s primarily a World Championships so I guess he can compete, since he competed in some worldwide juniors competitions already before