6   :ESP Spain 294.5
7   :UKR Ukraine 225
8   :CZE Czech Republic 219.5
9   :SWE Sweden 210.5
10   :GRE Greece 197
11   :FIN Finland 190
12   :SUI Switzerland 175

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:32, Dennis said:

:GBR is not sending their best team at all, which makes this much more exciting.

On the men's side, the teams in the top 6 are of a fairly similar level. :GER will make the difference in the women's field events, I think, whereas :GBR has the worst team of the top 6 in these women's field events.

New predictions, now based on the actual entry lists:

1. :GER 
  2. :POL 
  3. :GBR 
  4. :FRA 
  5. :ITA 
  6. :ESP 

LARGE GAP

7. :SWE 
  8. :CZE 
  9. :UKR 
  10. :GRE 
  11. :FIN 
  12. :SUI 

I foresee an intense battle between :SWE :CZE and :UKR for that 7th spot.

• My predictions were quite off.
  •  
  • The large gap between the top 6 and bottom six was correct, but everyone could have predicted that. Biggest positive surprises for me were Italy, Spain and Ukraine.
    • I expected Spain to finish with quite a gap to the number 5 but in the end there were only 8 points separating them from Great Britain
    • Italy did a lot better than I expected mainly in the women's field events. I didn't expect them to come this close to the podium, not even with Great Britain not really taking this seriously, as I thought Poland, Germany and France would be much further ahead.
    • Ukraine turned out to be the number 7 mainly because of higher finishes in the men's track events than I expected, such as the relays and the middle distances.
  • Biggest disappointment for me was Germany. It's not that the whole team underperformed and they also had some bad luck, but even with this team it shouldn't have been this close with France. They had the team to actually win here, I think, despite some of their best athletes not taking part.

I enjoyed these Championships a lot. Congratulations to the Polish team! Can't wait for the Super League!

23 minutes ago, Dennis said:
  • My predictions were quite off.
  •  
  • The large gap between the top 6 and bottom six was correct, but everyone could have predicted that. Biggest positive surprises for me were Italy, Spain and Ukraine.
    • I expected Spain to finish with quite a gap to the number 5 but in the end there were only 8 points separating them from Great Britain
    • Italy did a lot better than I expected mainly in the women's field events. I didn't expect them to come this close to the podium, not even with Great Britain not really taking this seriously, as I thought Poland, Germany and France would be much further ahead.
    • Ukraine turned out to be the number 7 mainly because of higher finishes in the men's track events than I expected, such as the relays and the middle distances.
  • Biggest disappointment for me was Germany. It's not that the whole team underperformed and they also had some bad luck, but even with this team it shouldn't have been this close with France. They had the team to actually win here, I think, despite some of their best athletes not taking part.

I enjoyed these Championships a lot. Congratulations to the Polish team! Can't wait for the Super League!

Germany definitely still could have won, but the following results made that impossible:

- No height for Ryzih in womens Pole vault-> 0 points 

- Disqualification for Petros in mens 5000 m -> 0 points

- Kwayie Not Starting in womens 100 m final -> another 4 or 5 points lost

- The mens 4 x 400 m Relay only getting 2 points thanks to Trefz getting Injured mid-race-> another 6 or 7 points lost

- Gierisch Having to Retire After her First try in womens triple jump -> another 4 or 5 points lost

Germany easily lost 35 points in Those events alone, so everyone Performing at His/her normal level would have Been enough for the victory, Even without Lückenkemper, Pinto, Reh, Klosterhalfen, Jungfleisch, Hussong, Heinle, Holzdeppe and a couple of others Competing. I would like to See all Nations with Their best Athletes Some day and i think then we would have The following Podium:

1) GB

2) Germany

3) Poland

Followed by France, Italy, Spain, Ukraine, the Netherlands and Belarus.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

Reason for GBs no show in the relay.... they declared a shot putter on their team by accident  :d:d:facepalm:

Before this the British commentators on Eurosport said that their DNS reflected the fact they did not take this competition seriously this year.... err, no, your admin team just made a terrible and stupid error :d

19 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Germany definitely still could have won, but the following results made that impossible:

- No height for Ryzih in womens Pole vault-> 0 points 

- Disqualification for Petros in mens 5000 m -> 0 points

- Kwayie Not Starting in womens 100 m final -> another 4 or 5 points lost

- The mens 4 x 400 m Relay only getting 2 points thanks to Trefz getting Injured mid-race-> another 6 or 7 points lost

- Gierisch Having to Retire After her First try in womens triple jump -> another 4 or 5 points lost

Germany easily lost 35 points in Those events alone, so everyone Performing at His/her normal level would have Been enough for the victory, Even without Lückenkemper, Pinto, Reh, Klosterhalfen, Jungfleisch, Hussong, Heinle, Holzdeppe and a couple of others Competing. I would like to See all Nations with Their best Athletes Some day and i think then we would have The following Podium:

1) GB

2) Germany

3) Poland

Followed by France, Italy, Spain, Ukraine, the Netherlands and Belarus.

I would say that if Germany would start with their very best team, they would be better than the best team of GB, mainly because of the stronger field events. The same goes for Poland.

I once made a ranking based on the best results per country per event in 2018 according to the website of European Athletics, where I converted everything to points. Without the relays, the results would be as follows:

1. :GER
  2. :POL 
  3. :RUS
  4. :GBR 
  5. :ITA 
  6. :ESP 
  7. :NED 
  8. :SWE 
  9. :TUR 
  10. :FRA 

The reason France is so low is because they don't have a lot of athletes that scored exceptional results in 2018. However, they have a lot of depth in their national selection, so when their best athlete doesn't take part, they can easily be replaced by a number 2 or 3 who is of a very similar level. The Netherlands on the other hand is dependent on a small number of athletes, such as Sifan Hassan and Dafne Schippers. If they don't take part or if they're not in great shape, we would lose so many points that we would definitely finish dead last in any Super League. Same goes for Turkey and Sweden, and Italy to a lesser extend.

Based on that ranking, not including Russia and having each country participate with their best possible team, I would love to see the following leagues.

1. Super League: ESP, FRA, GBR, GER, ITA, NED, POL, SWE
  2. First League: BEL, BLR, CZE, FIN, GRE, HUN, NOR, POR, ROU, SUI, TUR, UKR
  3. Second League: AUT, BUL, CRO, CYP, DEN, IRL, ISR, LAT, LTU, SLO, SRB, SVK
  4. Third League: ALB, AND, ARM, AZE, BIH, EST, GEO, GIB, ISL, LUX, MDA, MKD, MLT, MNE, MON, SMR

Probably the only sport in which slovaks knows everything earlier than the rest of the world lol,

Alfons Juck is one incredible capacity, this guy is a walking encyklopedia of athletics and he literally know every secret from the backstages of this sport, sometimes you have feeling like he has relationships with almost everyone more or less famous in this sport :lol: watching the athletics in our TV is a real pleasure, he always fulfill the coverage with so many informations. :d

so when he said that Ireland will not be relegated nor Hungary because Belarus will host the next super league, I was sure he know what he is talking about on air in the whole Slovakia ;)

3 hours ago, hckosice said:

Probably the only sport in which slovaks knows everything earlier than the rest of the world lol,

Alfons Juck is one incredible capacity, this guy is a walking encyklopedia of athletics and he literally know every secret from the backstages of this sport, sometimes you have feeling like he has relationships with almost everyone more or less famous in this sport :lol: watching the athletics in our TV is a real pleasure, he always fulfill the coverage with so many informations. :d

so when he said that Ireland will not be relegated nor Hungary because Belarus will host the next super league, I was sure he know what he is talking about on air in the whole Slovakia ;)

What does it mean now? 

Romania stays in 1st league or what? I am lost