website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

42 minutes ago, hckosice said:

You are the first person I met who wish an athlete to finish on 4th place :lol:

I hope he gets a medal of course :p But his race was just awesome, no matter the end result, and I hope to see such an awesome show again.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Tokyo 2020 triathlon and cross country eventing start times to move (further) forward due to heat

Start times for triathlon and the cross-country stage of equestrian competition will be brought forward due to heat concerns, Tokyo 2020 and  the International Olympic Committee (IOC) revealed today (actually, yesterday).

In a joint press conference dominated by the decision to move marathon and race-walk events to Sapporo amid fears over extreme heat, Tokyo 2020 President Yoshirō Mori confirmed talks around other events.

"Discussions have been taking place over the times of competition for triathlon and equestrian," he said.

"We have come to a common understanding with the IOC and International Federations to bring forward competition times."

"With regard to the triathlon, the men's, women's and mixed relay will be moved forward by one hour."

"In equestrian we will change the starting time for the cross-country event."

"This will now start at between 7.30 or 8am."

The men's and women's triathlon events are due to take place at the Odaiba Marine Park on July 27 and 28, respectively.

Both competitions are currently scheduled to begin at 7.30am, so the proposed change will move that to 6.30am.

The mixed team relay is set to be brought forward from 8.30am to 7.30am at the same venue on August 1.

The Tokyo 2020 test event in August saw organisers reduce the distance of the run from 10 kilometres to 5km due to extreme heat.

The swimming and cycling segments of the event were unchanged.

Cross-country eventing is currently scheduled to take place from 8.30am to 11.55am on August 2 at the Sea Forest Cross-Country Course.

The proposed change could see it begin one hour earlier.

Revised start times for both sports will be subject to approval of the IOC Executive Board.

They will be the latest changes to start times, with organisers having already determined longer-distance athletics events over 5,000 metres to be scheduled in the evening, not the morning.

All morning matches at the rugby sevens will finish before 12pm and mountain bike races have been delayed until 3pm.

Yeah, that's going to make a difference. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Oh come the fuck on. It won’t make a difference, and now I have to get up earlier just to get to one of my events. Ahhh! Fuck the IOC. Really athletes can handle the heat. I’ve been running in 100+ degrees since I was 10 years old. The humidity is hard and dangerous, but athletes should know how to prepare, or they obviously aren’t the best.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Also, rumors are flying around today that government wants the golf course changed due to heat. Well, heat is officially the storyline of these games that the media won’t shut up about for the next year.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

What really sucks for me is that all of my tickets, save one session, are to outdoor events. I’m going have unrivaled sunburn (unless the Irish or Norwegians forget the sunblock :p)

20 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

What really sucks for me is that all of my tickets, save one session, are to outdoor events. I’m going have unrivaled sunburn (unless the Irish or Norwegians forget the sunblock :p)

That entirely depends on yourself. My skin burns really easily, yet during a blistering hot week in the sun in Brazil the only part of my skin that got burned a little was a part of my neck that I forgot to protect with sunblock. Just find a good one, it works perfectly well.