Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

uk12points

Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

2 hours ago, Mkbw50 said:

ofc very good. In eurosport you aren´t assured to see all your athletes, because they have a great coverage but not focusing on athletes from only your country, which with your national public TV is possible. and don´t forget that majority of peoples from our countries are during the winter games mainly attracted by hockey, and Eurosport will not present so much matches than ČT or STV

Why not T20 cricket in Olympics?

Interest in enough countries:
India

Sri Lanka
Pakistan
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa
Afghanistan

UK

LOTS of Caribbean countries

There could be 12, 16, etc teams
There could be UK team comprised of mostly England players

West Indies could have independent teams (like in Caribbean Premier League e.g. St. Lucia Zouks, Barbados Tridents)
Already played at 2010 and 2014 Asian Games

Could help tap cricket into key markets i.e. US, China as there is more chance of them watching if it is in the Olympics, a bit like sports such as shooting or archery.

18 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

India

Sri Lanka
Pakistan
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa
Afghanistan

UK

West Indies could have independent teams (like in Caribbean Premier League e.g. St. Lucia Zouks, Barbados Tridents)

Could help tap cricket into key markets i.e. US, China as there is more chance of them watching if it is in the Olympics, a bit like sports such as shooting or archery.

The problem is that Japan and Tokyo have the say on which sports can be added to the Olympic programme, as Cricket is not a popular sport in the region then it is unlikely to be added.

If the same system is used in 2024 I cannot see any of the hosts adding Cricket to the programme. If a not too distant Olympics was held in India, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand then I can see Cricket being added.

26 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

India

Sri Lanka
Pakistan
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa
Afghanistan

UK

Because its not popular 

5 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

India

Sri Lanka
Pakistan
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa
Afghanistan

UK

One major weakness is that it's not very big in USA and Europe (with UK as an exception), who are both major players. It could possibly help on this problem for the sport, but I believe it would need more "strong" countries to have a chance. The only chance I see, is if the Olympics went to one of the countries mentioned, and they wanted it there.

I wouldn't mind though, as Denmark is one of the strongest European nations and would thereby be closer to the Olympics than we will ever get in water polo, basketball or hockey! :p

I don't see any problem with any of those sports being added, my only issue is the limited quota all of them will have. Especially the case of karate and climbing.

I just hope that for Baseball and Softball they don't give continental quotas. Just make a world qualifier and have the best 5 teams qualify (maybe the world baseball classic?).

1 hour ago, Mkbw50 said:

India

Sri Lanka
Pakistan
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa
Afghanistan

UK

It would help if the ICC got it's governence in order. Frankly I oppose cricket joining the Olympics on philosophical grounds as long as they keep segregating test nations from the peasant associate nations. 

They would also need to, well, apply to join the Olympics. They seem reluctant so far.

Baseball/softball to replace rugby/golf for the "hosts sports wishes" and even they are so-so... The rest aren't even sports and have no place in the Olympics. While they are at it, why not choose also video games and Ninja Warrior. Bet they would bring more interest in Japan than the others...

8 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Baseball/softball to replace rugby/golf for the "hosts sports wishes" and even they are so-so... The rest aren't even sports and have no place in the Olympics. While they are at it, why not choose also video games and Ninja Warrior. Bet they would bring more interest in Japan than the others...

:lol:

I would support the addition of both

15 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

What do you define as sports, since they aren't sports?

3 hours ago, LDOG said:

I don't see any problem with any of those sports being added, my only issue is the limited quota all of them will have. Especially the case of karate and climbing.

I just hope that for Baseball and Softball they don't give continental quotas. Just make a world qualifier and have the best 5 teams qualify (maybe the world baseball classic?).

if it's gonna be the case, it's already decided that the Olympic qualifying tournament will be the Premier 12 in 2019...

and since Premier 12 is made only by the best 12 teams in the World Ranking, we can be sure that there won't be much regard to the Continental representation (even if I guess that they would guarantee the start of at least 3 Continents, giving th berths to the 3 medallists, Japan - host of the Games - the next best American team and the next best non Asian/American team)...