Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

uk12points

Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

13 minutes ago, Quasit said:

It also does remind of Croatia a bit even though it's not in red, right? :d

Yes, but only a bit. :d

There were no good options to be honest.

I'd rather have the Sochi 2014 logo than that, at least it worked.

TOKYO 2020 NEW SPORTS:

The 18 proposed events are (sport alphabetical order):

Sports Events (Proposal) No of Events No of Athletes (total)
Baseball / Softball Baseball (M) 144 (6 teams x 24 athletes)
Softball (W) 90 (6 teams x 15 athletes)
Karate Kata (W / M) 20 (10 W / 10 M)
Kumite (3 weight classes - W / M) 6 60 (30 W / 30 M)
Skateboard Street (W / M) 40 (20 W / 20 M)
Park (W / M) 40 (20 W / 20 M)
Sports Climbing Bouldering, Lead and Speed Combined (W / M) 2 40 (20 W / 20 M)
Surfing Shortboard (W / M) 40 (20 W / 20 M)
Total  18  474

This package of events represents both traditional and emerging, youth-focused events, all of which are popular both in Japan and internationally. They will serve as a driving force to further promote the Olympic Movement and its values, with a focus on youth appeal, and will add value to the Games by engaging the Japanese population and new audiences worldwide, reflecting the Tokyo 2020 Games vision.

52 minutes ago, uk12points said:

TOKYO 2020 NEW SPORTS:

The 18 proposed events are (sport alphabetical order):

Sports Events (Proposal) No of Events No of Athletes (total)
Baseball / Softball Baseball (M) 144 (6 teams x 24 athletes)
Softball (W) 90 (6 teams x 15 athletes)
Karate Kata (W / M) 20 (10 W / 10 M)
Kumite (3 weight classes - W / M) 6 60 (30 W / 30 M)
Skateboard Street (W / M) 40 (20 W / 20 M)
Park (W / M) 40 (20 W / 20 M)
Sports Climbing Bouldering, Lead and Speed Combined (W / M) 2 40 (20 W / 20 M)
Surfing Shortboard (W / M) 40 (20 W / 20 M)
Total  18  474

This package of events represents both traditional and emerging, youth-focused events, all of which are popular both in Japan and internationally. They will serve as a driving force to further promote the Olympic Movement and its values, with a focus on youth appeal, and will add value to the Games by engaging the Japanese population and new audiences worldwide, reflecting the Tokyo 2020 Games vision.

Not really news, been public for more than a month at this point.

Personally I am deeply uninpressed by the event package. A six team tournament for baseball/softball is ridiculous, and it still annoy me that they are including a sport where the men's and women's events are fundamentally different sport. Plus no MLB players should continue to he a dealbreaker for baseball. For Karate I find that Kumite is very viewer unfriendly and boring. Kata is at least different but the judging is... old fashioned. Rife for accusations of favouratism. Skateboarding might normally be a good addition but the IOC is dealing with three conpeting IFs with little legitimacy and who don't appear to be willing to cooperate. The combined format for climbing isn't the traditional format. Surfing is hard to hold in many places and, frankly, not that TV friendly. 

Baseball and softball will be on the Olympics in Tokyo, because Japan. But indeed, a tournament with 6 teams is absolutely nothing more than a bad joke. 

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Baseball and softball will be on the Olympics in Tokyo, because Japan. But indeed, a tournament with 6 teams is absolutely nothing more than a bad joke. 

Well, I guess this represents the return of demonstration sports to the Olympics. Well, at least that's the best way of looking at it.

Just now, dcro said:

Well, I guess this represents the return of demonstration sports to the Olympics. Well, at least that's the best way of looking at it.

The difference is that it'll be official Olympic medals :( 

And all those other sports...damn. Karate? No thanks, we have enough combat sports and it's not even a "real" combat sport, especially that kata-thing. Skateboarding and surfing? Keep in the X-Games will you? Climbing? Now what, we'll have a combined event...is it normal in sports climbing that people are good in all three events or will we see totally new athletes?

1 minute ago, dcro said:

So, I think that IOC making a big mistake that could put at risk the whole Olympic program . Between 20 years we could perhaps have a program that changes radically edition by edition

Remember that it's still up to the IOC in august :)

7 minutes ago, Agger said:

Remember that it's still up to the IOC in august :)

I'll eat my shoes (as a matter of speech) if they vote against baseball :p 

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

The difference is that it'll be official Olympic medals :( 

And all those other sports...damn. Karate? No thanks, we have enough combat sports and it's not even a "real" combat sport, especially that kata-thing. Skateboarding and surfing? Keep in the X-Games will you? Climbing? Now what, we'll have a combined event...is it normal in sports climbing that people are good in all three events or will we see totally new athletes?

well, Karate (Kumite) can be very spectacular, sometimes (Kata is just a joke)...

meanwhile in Sport Climbing the combined event doesn't even exist as a single discipline right now (even if there is a minor prize for the best combiners at the end of the World Cup season, but no one of the top 15/20 of each special discipline normally start in the others, with very few exceptions double starting in the Lead and Boulder events...and Speed is just another sport)...