website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

44 minutes ago, carivan said:

Yep. AIBA wants two more for women, IWF wants to move to 8 even per gender and I also think ITU is pushing for a mixed relay.

I believe women's canoeing is also likely to be introduced (looks like the C2 in slalom and the K2-200m and the C1-200m might be removed to make room) and that rowing is going to have seven men's events and seven women's event (the most sensible plan I've seen is to remove the men's lightweight four to replace it with the women's four). Golf, table tennis and archery also want mixed events.

Edited by Near

53 minutes ago, carivan said:

Yep. AIBA wants two more for women, IWF wants to move to 8 even per gender and I also think ITU is pushing for a mixed relay.

I bet the IOC will make the stupidity of taking out 2 mens categories, as to fill in another 2 womens. Womens boxing hasn't developed enough competition to support another 2 weight classes. 

It is funny how the IOC have talked about containing the Games from becoming "too big" with thousands and thousands of athletes and put rigorous standards and cutted categories to the bare minimum of 10 or so athletes, but then continue to bring in new sports and  existing ones wanting more and more events.

hace 4 minutos, Maxim Fastovsky said:

oh didnt know it's windsurfing

and i think golf should be more of a ryder cup type, maybe 8 countries with 4 players each or something like that

Nah, the whole point of Olympic golf is to widen the global footprint, so you need to include the bigger number of countries as possible even if that hurts quality. But I do agree they should change the format. Match play could be fun.

Edited by carivan