website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

NBC has little to no control over when the Olympics are held.  They don't want to air them against another event, but then again, neither will European countries when there's a major football tournament going on and a tennis major.  That's why we're likely to see the Games in approximately the same time window as they would have been in 2020.  This also gives the sport federations and the athletes the proper lead up time to prepare for the Games as well

little to no control? NBC owns the Olympics by virtue of all the money they give to the IOC...

they can't decide where the Olympics are held, but they heavily influence the dates and they decide in full the schedule and have heavy words to say on the sports to be included...like it or not!

or do you really think european TV networks wanted the swimming finals in the middle of the night or sports like breakdance, surfing, skateboarding, even golf in the Olympic schedule?

don't be naive...it's how the world goes...the more money you pay for something, the more influence you have...and NBC pays more than all the other TV networks put together, therefore they have some kind of privilege when it comes to the setup of the show (and trust me, I don't have much against it...there's nothing wrong with it...I find it even "logical"...I'd pretend the same if I were in their situation)...

1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

But I don't think it's summer in Australia that time

they already held Rio 2016 in the middle of the souther emisphere winter...

if they go to Gold Coast, there won't be any problem also in July/August (actually, there could be more troubles in the Australian late Spring/Summer with all the fire disasters they have year after year)...

7 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

But I don't think it's summer in Australia that time

6 hours ago, Vektor said:

The winter is the quite warm there according to Wikipedia, so having the games in July/August probably won't be an issue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Australia#Queensland

Australia could have chosen to push Melbourne as their bid city since they have more venues and infrastructure in place.  But the weather isn't as good there during the Northern Summer, so they are going with Brisbane because they can offer their Olympic bid in the preferred window.  Therefore, they stand a better chance of being elected as hosts.  At least, that seems to be the line of thinking from the AOC.  And they're still bitter about the 2022 FIFA World Cup bid as they say - they're 100% right - that Qatar cheated by proposing to have their World Cup in the Summer with the promise of air-conditioned stadiums.  Had they proposed a November-December World Cup from the start, maybe they don't win.

6 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Qatar cheated by proposing to have their World Cup in the Summer with the promise of air-conditioned stadiums.  Had they proposed a November-December World Cup from the start, maybe they don't win.

So even Australia can do that. Is it ?

1 minute ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

So even Australia can do that. Is it ?

They're free to do what they want.  But at the end of the day, it's a popularity contest who wins the right to host these events.  And those who vote and make the decisions will usually do so in their own self-interests.  So if a country like Australia were to propose to hold the 2032 Olympics in a different month because that's better for them, they may not win the rights to host the event in the first place.  So that's how they need to be thinking.

6 hours ago, phelps said:

little to no control? NBC owns the Olympics by virtue of all the money they give to the IOC...

they can't decide where the Olympics are held, but they heavily influence the dates and they decide in full the schedule and have heavy words to say on the sports to be included...like it or not!

or do you really think european TV networks wanted the swimming finals in the middle of the night or sports like breakdance, surfing, skateboarding, even golf in the Olympic schedule?

don't be naive...it's how the world goes...the more money you pay for something, the more influence you have...and NBC pays more than all the other TV networks put together, therefore they have some kind of privilege when it comes to the setup of the show (and trust me, I don't have much against it...there's nothing wrong with it...I find it even "logical"...I'd pretend the same if I were in their situation)...

NBC has a ton of influence.  I wouldn't pretend to think otherwise.  But it's not as if they're sitting in on these meetings telling the IOC what to do.  Again, when Australia is deciding to bid for an Olympics, they're not doing it because NBC is telling them when they want it.  And it's not as if they're the only organization that prefers that traditional Summer window.  So Australia does what they believe is in their best interests to get votes.  And none of those votes actually belong to anyone from NBC.

The swimming finals.. again, FINA is making that decision for FINA.  They are doing what they feel is in their best interests, not just because NBC wants it.  If NBC is so influential, what about gymnastics like they were moved in Beijing (speaking of places were gymnastics has a huge following)?  Why not moving the athletics finals?  I know NBC asked for it in 2008.  And notice how it was 2016 where they started holding finals in the morning sessions, a move specifically for the benefit of European television interests.

I'm not downplaying that American television money is a big deal.  But at the end of the day, everyone is in it for themselves - the NOC's, the sport federations, and pretty much everyone else associated with the Olympics.  They make self-interested decisions.  A lot of times, the decision that's best for them is what's best for NBC.

The Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics organizing committee will likely support the idea of delaying the Games to July of next year.

The committee has been working to set new schedules and secure venues for the events since they were postponed last week due to the coronavirus pandemic.

NHK sources say the option of opening the Olympics in July of next year is gaining support at the committee, considering the time needed to contain the virus, make preparations, and select athletes.

The opening day would be July 23. It was originally scheduled for July 24 this year.

The remainder of the schedule would accordingly move up one day.

The Olympics would end on August 8. The Paralympics would be held from August 24 through September 5.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200329_05/

11 hours ago, Wumo said:

The Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics organizing committee will likely support the idea of delaying the Games to July of next year.

The committee has been working to set new schedules and secure venues for the events since they were postponed last week due to the coronavirus pandemic.

NHK sources say the option of opening the Olympics in July of next year is gaining support at the committee, considering the time needed to contain the virus, make preparations, and select athletes.

The opening day would be July 23. It was originally scheduled for July 24 this year.

The remainder of the schedule would accordingly move up one day.

The Olympics would end on August 8. The Paralympics would be held from August 24 through September 5.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200329_05/

Makes the most sense.  I know some people were saying this is an excuse to hold the Olympics when the weather is better.  But for the overall sports calendar - and not just for American television - this is the easiest solution.