website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

38 minutes ago, call me matt said:

Did I pass? ?

It’s not a pass/fall initiation. It’s more like a right of passage.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Federer91 said:

NBC doesn't have the NBA rights, they would be happy to have something powerful to air against them. Their only issue is whether the big NBA players are willing to go to the Olympics against the playoffs. 

but they have the NHL and quite a few motorsports TV rights...

not only, they usually have the socalled Championships Season from May to the end of June/beginning of July with the Horse Racing Triple Crown and all the US Olympic Trials in Swimming, Gymnastics, Athletics and many more disciplines...basically, the perfect build up to the Games...

I don't think they would easily give up on all those things (or mess the Spring schedule up) only to please a few IOC members who would like the Olympics to happen as soon as possible...

6 minutes ago, phelps said:

not only, they usually have the socalled Championships Season from May to the end of June/beginning of July with the Horse Racing Triple Crown and all the US Olympic Trials in Swimming, Gymnastics, Athletics and many more disciplines...basically, the perfect build up to the Games...

I don't think they would easily give up on all those things (or mess the Spring schedule up) only to please a few IOC members who would like the Olympics to happen as soon as possible...

Wouldn’t it be great to see the IOC fuck over NBC though :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, Vektor said:

Um, what? Sources have been claiming that the games will likely be between Wimbledon (usually in July) and the US Open (usually in August/September). 

The newspapers I read had either May or June or July, though some prefer July- Aug most Nonetheless what big deal if it's held in June . Marathon can be held in Tokyo itself. NBC is not organizing the games. Expecting 2032 games in April or Sept-October if Australia wins which is likely. So NBC has no option but to listen. There shouldn't be any discussion about dates between NBC and IOC. 

Edited by Fly_like_a_don

11 hours ago, Federer91 said:

NBC doesn't have the NBA rights, they would be happy to have something powerful to air against them. Their only issue is whether the big NBA players are willing to go to the Olympics against the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, phelps said:

8 hours ago, phelps said:

yeah, but I don't think they're going to shoot themselves between the legs just to see what's the effect of it...:p

NBC has little to no control over when the Olympics are held.  They don't want to air them against another event, but then again, neither will European countries when there's a major football tournament going on and a tennis major.  That's why we're likely to see the Games in approximately the same time window as they would have been in 2020.  This also gives the sport federations and the athletes the proper lead up time to prepare for the Games as well

2 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

The newspapers I read had either May or June or July, though some prefer July- Aug most Nonetheless what big deal if it's held in June . Marathon can be held in Tokyo itself. NBC is not organizing the games. Expecting 2032 games in April or Sept-October if Australia wins which is likely. So NBC has no option but to listen. There shouldn't be any discussion about dates between NBC and IOC. 

Yes, NBC cannot dictate when the games will be held.  And it's not discussed with the IOC when a city is bidding for the Olympics as that city decides what dates they propose to hold the games.

However.. bidding for the right to host the Olympics is usually a popularity contest about convincing the autocrats of the IOC to get in bed with you.  Looks like the Australians know how to play that game...

Queensland in race for 2032 Olympics after state government confirms bid

Ms Palaszczuk said the games, which would run from July 23 to August 8 in 2032, would provide legacy benefits for "generations to come".

So much for options.  NBC money wins out

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Yes, NBC cannot dictate when the games will be held.  And it's not discussed with the IOC when a city is bidding for the Olympics as that city decides what dates they propose to hold the games.

However.. bidding for the right to host the Olympics is usually a popularity contest about convincing the autocrats of the IOC to get in bed with you.  Looks like the Australians know how to play that game...

Queensland in race for 2032 Olympics after state government confirms bid

Ms Palaszczuk said the games, which would run from July 23 to August 8 in 2032, would provide legacy benefits for "generations to come".

So much for options.  NBC money wins out

But I don't think it's summer in Australia that time