website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

Really good article.

I think the only thing that can postpone the games is a situation of most of the world's top athletes boycotting the games. Otherwise the games will go on, without spectators or however. 

Edit: sorry for the new page. People, I strongly recommend you read the article linked by Phelps.

Edited by LDOG

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

Really good article.

I think the only thing that can postpone the games is a situation of most of the world's top athletes boycotting the games. Otherwise the games will go on, without spectators or however. 

Edit: sorry for the new page. People, I strongly recommend you read the article linked by Phelps.

I agree in the current situation. We start to hear more and more athletes saying IOC doesn't take the health of the athletes serious. Stefanidi has said she puts her health at risk by training and prepare for competitions. I have also read some gymnasts don't like the idea of touching the same apparatus in a training facility. 

Also, former British rower, Matthew Pinsent tweeted, this:

It's a very difficult situation for all parties involved in this ongoing crisis. As I can see, many here on the forum here wouldn't mind Tokyo 2020 being postponed if the crisis continues like this for the next months, both for the security of the athletes' health and that the qualification process would be too difficult to complete. 

I'm curious too see if we will some top athlete come out and say that they will boycot the Games before the end of this month? If some do, and the situation get's better by May, will the athletes then say they will participate despite of what they said one or two months before? 

Beside all the questions about economics, IOC and the organisers are in difficult situation as they and most of world, including health authorities, don't know exactly how this crisis will develop. If IOC comes out this month and say the Tokyo 2020 will be postponed with one year then that decision will likely not be changed.

I still think IOC, the Japanese organisers and the majority of athlete still hope the Games will be held this year. Of course I don't have any inside sources to verify this. I could be wrong and Thomas Bach and the Japanese prime minister are the only one who truly believes the Games will run as scheduled. 

Personally, I think IOC and the organisers should wait to mid-May, around two months before the Olympics begin, to announce if they postpone the Games as this situation changes daily. Lastly I would like to say, I do not think the situation has been stabilised worldwide when we come to mid-May, so I think the Tokyo 2020 will be Tokyo 2021. But it's easy for a young man like me with no power in the world of sports to come with my speculations about such a big decision and change them as I please. IOC are in completely different position. 

Bear in mind, most of the above are mainly own personal opionions and speculations, so take it all with a grain of salt, as I'm in no way trying to act like an expert on the matter. 

Edited by Wumo

Athletes who now come out and say they'll boycot the Games are just jumping the gun big time. It ain't looking better at all compared to a week ago, but before using health as a reason, they should (and probably will) still wait for a while before deciding. Of course meanwhile they should work hard on a plan B in the background.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just after the teleconference with Bach (unfortunately, among 400 journalists all over the world only big agencies from big countries got an opportunity to ask questions, so no news about what I wanted to ask - about moving events from Sapporo back to Tokyo in case of spring dates of Olympics and no news about the IOC Session or Athlete's Commission elections this year).

This was the best part:

German journalist: As there are talks that the decision is made too late, are you considering the resignation from presidency?

Bach:No.

Mark Adams:Next question from...

Germanus Germanini lupus est ;)

How was the decision taken too late, one month ago it was still mainly a Chinese thing, two weeks ago there were plenty of people still mocking Italians since it was only "mass hysteria" and there were public events with 100k people going on as usual even in Europe...I'd rather say the decision was taken too early, they could have waited one month to evaluate the situation.

8 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

How was the decision taken too late, one month ago it was still mainly a Chinese thing, two weeks ago there were plenty of people still mocking Italians since it was only "mass hysteria" and there were public events with 100k people going on as usual even in Europe...I'd rather say the decision was taken too early, they could have waited one month to evaluate the situation.

It seems Germans are really anti-Bach - Hajo Seppelt, Jens Weinreich and the one who asked the question (I didn't notice the name). The other thing is they know him best from his DOSB work, so there needs to be something. But I agree that with Bach's many bad sides, this decision is not the one that should lead him out of the chair. And I'm afraid this will not happen next year either.

He’s not going to be President in 2021, so I don’t know how he intends to attend :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela