website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

He is the longest serving IOC member, and someone who is seen as the most vocal critique or how the IOC conducts its business. Plus, how can you not love a Dick Pound? 

Dick Pound was trending on Twitter earlier.  Not because, you know, the Olympics are in danger, but because his name is Dick Pound...  Dick Pound :lol:

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I think that even if the games will go on you will see A LOT of athletes decline to go (starting with NBA Players, Golfers and Tennis players)

We saw that a lot from Rio with Zika.  I don't think it would necessarily happen here.  If the Olympics are deemed safe to go on and the virus is under control, I don't think it will necessarily scare off that many people, particularly tennis players who will have been in Paris and London over the summer.

3 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Cancellation will harm the olympics and might cause an irreversible damage, especially with groups like nolympicsla or counterparts in paris looking for a way out

Eh, I doubt this would add fuel to the fire for those guys.  Considering what the Olympics have survived through (only World Wars have stopped them), it would be a pretty devastating hit for a virus to cancel an Olympics.  The NOlympicsLA folks are fighting a battle that likely only mother nature (or some foolishly hungry Chinese looking for an exotic snack) could beat them at.

Man, this turned into the US National Thread real quick :p. We may be a divided nation, but today we learned that we share a love of Dick Pound.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, NearPup said:

Dick Pound is actually basically the only trustworthy IOC member.

Don't you start attacking our crown prince! :evil: :DEN 

(not that I expect anybody but Danes to hear about his work in IOC and even we hear very little :p )

7 hours ago, NearPup said:

Dick Pound is actually basically the only trustworthy IOC member.

sure...a man obsessed with Russia and extremely biased for the English speaking Countries' supremacy...:facepalm::wall:

nontheless, a man who's still making his liver bitter because of the Samaranch's tenure...

a man who thinks that the person who saved the Games from disappearing (yes, with many obscure points, but the situation was even worse than many people think and required some kind of "dirty" moves) should have never been a IOC President and did too many things in favour of the "Latin" and Asian Nations...

a man that wanted to hide Ben Johnson's scandal at all costs (the true reason of the open war between him and Samaranch) before becoming the icon of anti-doping and WADA president...

and I could go on for quite a while...:whistle:

6 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I think that even if the games will go on you will see A LOT of athletes decline to go (starting with NBA Players, Golfers and Tennis players)

most of those guys would find an excuse in any case...

they are more than "the usual suspects" when it comes to miss the Olympics in favour of more relaxing and lucrative activities...

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Man, this turned into the US National Thread real quick :p. We may be a divided nation, but today we learned that we share a love of Dick Pound.

Man, you know that this sentence could attract a long series of jokes, don't you? :lol: :p

4 hours ago, phelps said:

Man, you know that this sentence could attract a long series of jokes, don't you? :lol: :p

I believe it’s what they call a “set-up”. Punchlines please :evil:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

That reminds me a comedy scene of a Polish group as two guys were "teaching" English to the audience. Then the third guy came on the scene and they asked him:

- What's your name?

- Wacek (which is a short form from a name "Wacław", but also used as the word for that organ)

- And what is "Wacek" in English?

- ... Richard.

- No, you're wrong.

- (ashamed) Dick.