website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

17 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I was bored so I tried to see if I can come up with a better system for predicting medals. Places like GraceNote essentially take the top three contenders and give them gold, silver and bronze. That tends to cause situations where a nation with a 50% chance to win say 12 events would be predicted to win 12 medals, but in reality they would only win six. Usually this is masked by the overall medal count, but it becomes apparent if you look at the details for individual sports.

Currently my model is quite early in development, it doesn't take into account the maximum athletes per nation in a specific event or the chances of an athlete to fail (DNS/DSQ/DNF etc). It also only currently works for events where you can obtain a score/time/measurement (placing/head to head events will have to wait).

Here's a sample of the men's 100m (top 5) that I was using as my test data.

Men's 100m

Gold

:USA - 76.4%

:NGR - 17.8%

:CAN - 1.9%

:GBR - 1.5%

:CIV - 0.9%

Silver

:USA - 60.6%

:NGR - 17.8%

:GBR - 5.8%

:CIV - 4.4%

:CAN - 4.2%

Bronze

:USA - 46.0%

:NGR - 14.7%

:GBR - 9.9%

:CAN - 7.7%

:CIV - 6.3%

As mentioned above, the United States is currently a bit inflated due to more than three athletes contributing to its chances (removing them manually and redistributing it would give them 73.3%, 53.5% and 38.6% chances respectively).

Amazing! 

Marathon Races and Race Walking events confirmed in the last days of the Games (despite being moved to Sapporo)

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/12/04/olympics/ioc-agrees-hold-olympic-marathon-race-walk-final-4-days-tokyo-games/

and after Marathons and Race Walking events have been moved up North, the next in line could be the Open Water Swimming competitions...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/12/04/olympics/calling-tokyo-2020-move-open-water-events-due-heat-water-quality/

26 minutes ago, dcro said:

Just waiting for the organizers to completely screw over poor Derek di Grazia, who has been designing the cross-country course for several years now. :)

Wait, what? Years? How hard is it, actually, to take years to design?

4 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Wait, what? Years? How hard is it, actually, to take years to design?

Well, I made it sound more dramatic than it actually is. :pDi Grazia was nevertheless appointed to the position in 2016 I believe, and considering that the test event was already held, surely a lot of thought was already put into building the course...

Still, one hopes they don't move the event in a rash decision like they did with marathons... I don't believe IAAF would even consider moving their events if Doha hadn't hosted the World Championships. :dunno:

#banbestmen

50 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well, I made it sound more dramatic than it actually is. :pDi Grazia was nevertheless appointed to the position in 2016 I believe, and considering that the test event was already held, surely a lot of thought was already put into building the course...

Still, one hopes they don't move the event in a rash decision like they did with marathons... I don't believe IAAF would even consider moving their events if Doha hadn't hosted the World Championships. :dunno:

IAAF didn’t want to move the events. According to Dunfee they stood up for the athletes, but the IOC didn’t care.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Danka Barteková will again run for the IOC Athletes Commission during the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo. :wub:

In London 2012, she triumphed in the elections to the Commission, where she
received the highest number of votes (2295) out of the 21 candidates in London. As a result, in 2013 the IOC at its meeting in Buenos Aires accepted her as a full IOC member until the end of the Tokyo Games. Since then she has been gradually appointed to six different commissions, making her one of the most busy members of the IOC.

She is also leading one of the IOC Commissions - the Coordination for the Youth Olympic Games 2020 in Lausanne.

her term of office will be expiring next year after eight years. But Bartekova wants to continue working in the international Olympic structures, the Slovak Olympic and Sports Committee (SOŠV) informed on its official website today.  

1%20Tokyo2020_IOC_AC_Election_Candidate_

I think I've finalized the code (at least for events with timed/measured results) for the medal prediction project I'm working on.

You can see the men's 100m example here

Overall I am able to limit the number of athletes from a single nation. Therefore, for the men's 100m it now has three athletes from the United States. Currently the three best performers are listed, but it can easily be changed to the actual team once the selection process is complete. Let me know how you think it looks on the site.

Edited by JoshMartini007