website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

17 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

List of eligible tripartite nations has been revealed. Basically nations with 8 or fewer average athletes over the past two Olympics are eligible.

Nations no longer eligible (relative to 2016): :ANG:BAR:BOL:BIH:CGO:COK:CIV:FIJ:GHA:JOR:LBN:PAN:PAR:UAE

Nations added (relative to 2016): :ALB:GRN:KUW

I’m most worried about the Cook Islands, Lebanon, and Angola. The rest of these nations do have some good potential to qualify a few athletes here and there.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

I’m most worried about the Cook Islands, Lebanon, and Angola. The rest of these nations do have some good potential to qualify a few athletes here and there.

Angola has team sports it can qualify in. Cook Islands will be looking at canoeing and sailing. Lebanon's best bet would be shooting. A few of these nations were just barely above the threshold and will likely be eligible in 2024 due to being unable to use tripartite quotas.

13 minutes ago, dcro said:

Seeing how IAAF got strict with Universality places, some of these nations' numbers could really drop.

Even ignoring IAAF's new rule I imagine many of them would return in 2024. Most of those nations got athletics and swimming wild cards plus 2-4 universality quotas so it would only take a couple normally qualified athletes to push them over the threshold, which is what happened. The lack of tripartite quotas would just push them back below the threshold.

13 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

You should be mostly worried for Bolivia. Last time they had 6 participants in athletics. Due to more demanding standards, they'll be lucky to get 2 this time.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

You should be mostly worried for Bolivia. Last time they had 6 participants in athletics. Due to more demanding standards, they'll be lucky to get 2 this time.

It also doesn't help that they had 12 athletes in 2016. Qualifying in judo and swimming would mean they would be excluded for 2024 too.

1 hour ago, dcro said:

You should be mostly worried for Bolivia. 

The 2nd worst nation in Olympic history (in my opinion) according to an article I once wrote thanks to Olympic-reference's stats :p 

https://frontpage.fok.nl/special/717955/7/1/50/de-slechtste-landen-ooit-op-de-olympische-spelen.html

Bangladesh was the number one worst nation in history. Based on results, inhabitants and so on. But I digress.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

50 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The 2nd worst nation in Olympic history (in my opinion) according to an article I once wrote thanks to Olympic-reference's stats :p 

https://frontpage.fok.nl/special/717955/7/1/50/de-slechtste-landen-ooit-op-de-olympische-spelen.html

Bangladesh was the number one worst nation in history. Based on results, inhabitants and so on. But I digress.

That's just mean. :p

#banbestmen

8 hours ago, dcro said:

That's just mean. :p

Well, some nation has to be :p  And it'd be unfair to give the title to a nation with not even half a million people or something :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah because any other Olympic sports besides archery in Bangladesh is a disaster. Even Wikipedia agrees ;)