website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

The new Official Olympics game was released in Japan a few days ago and I’ve been watching a few play throughs so here are my thoughts. This is the best Olympic game yet! The sports are limited, but there is still a good variety (and more are being unlocked as the countdown timer to Tokyo gets lower). You can choose from 80 countries to have your player represent! You can completely customize your character to look very similar to yourself (and I actually mean this, the characters look more realistic). The graphics look amazing and the game runs very smooth. Of course I haven’t actually played the games because it hasn’t been released anywhere in the world for XBox yet, but when it is, I’ll give a much fuller review. I’m honestly exciting to play it. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The new Official Olympics game was released in Japan a few days ago and I’ve been watching a few play throughs so here are my thoughts. This is the best Olympic game yet! The sports are limited, but there is still a good variety (and more are being unlocked as the countdown timer to Tokyo gets lower). You can choose from 80 countries to have your player represent! You can completely customize your character to look very similar to yourself (and I actually mean this, the characters look more realistic). The graphics look amazing and the game runs very smooth. Of course I haven’t actually played the games because it hasn’t been released anywhere in the world for XBox yet, but when it is, I’ll give a much fuller review. I’m honestly exciting to play it. 

Ok this game is seriously cool, I will definitely be buying it. There’s an actual daily schedule for when sports are played in online tournaments, complete character customizing, almost all the countries that have users on this form you can select to play as. I don’t want to say this to early, but the add a few mores sports, this could the first really awesome and fantastic Olympics game. It might actually be worthy of the official game status.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

A lot of people don’t like the game apparently. The main reasons being, not enough events (they could add a few more for sure, but there’s no way they could ever have the time to develop more than 30-40), the games looks arcade like (which I like personally), the controls aren’t button mashing and can be hard to figure out (but they’re a bit more realistic in my opinion, and I’m glad some (not all) the button mashing is gone.

An Olympic game that's not button mashing? :yikes: I might even get a little interested :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

44 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

An Olympic game that's not button mashing? :yikes: I might even get a little interested :d

I should clarify that it does involve quite a bit, but there’s a lot more intricacy to it to. The games look fun, and I think it’s something you can sit down and play for a hour and have a good time. Plus, there’s still a lot of stuff that I think is cool that I haven’t evened mentioned yet. There’s like 3 different game types (practice (learn how to play on your own), olympics (tournaments in one event where the CPUs gets harder over the course of prelims, semifinals, and finals), and online tournaments (same as above but against real people). You can make your athletes look however you want. You can change the colors of your national uniform. The longer play and the more you train, your character’s skill set actually improves. Skill is actually involved in winning online (there’s a bunch of different ways to improve your performance that game reveals to you over time as you get better). The graphics look awesome and are probably semi accurate as too stadiums will look next year. There’s a bunch of little facts about the Tokyo 2020 Olympics in the loading screens. This is honestly the first time I’ve truly been excited to own an Olympics game. The best part is that it’s available for XBox, PS, Switch, and PC! 

I wonder why not every country is involved though. Can it really take more than a couple of minutes to copy-paste the standard uniforms and stuff and change it a bit into the colours of another nation? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Here’s a list of the sports/events offered in the game @heywoodu

Athletics - 100m, 110m Hurdles, Long Jump, Hammer Throw, 4x100m (will unlock in April 2020)

Baseball - Team

Basketball - 5x5

Beach Volleyball - Pairs

Boxing - Individual

Cycling - BMX (racing (with tricks involved))

Football - Team

Judo - Unknown (will be unlocked in November 2019)

Rugby Sevens - Team (will be unlocked in September 2019)

Sport Climbing - Unknown (will be unlocked in February 2020)

Swimming - 100m Freestyle, 200m IM

Table Tennis - Singles (If think there’s doubles too)

Tennis - Singles and Doubles

For people with a switch the Mario and Sonic Olympic game (also an official game) will feature many of the sports left out here (but will be more arcade in some amazing way).

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I already got the game (and the platinum trophy on playstation: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/9404-olympic-games-tokyo-2020/hukbrazil).

I am a big fan of the Olympic video games. Since Sydney 2000 I played all that were released.

Later I can post some impressions :)

1 hour ago, hukbrazil said:

I already got the game (and the platinum trophy on playstation: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/9404-olympic-games-tokyo-2020/hukbrazil).

I am a big fan of the Olympic video games. Since Sydney 2000 I played all that were released.

Later I can post some impressions :)

Yes please do, I so much wish I had a PlayStation right now. I can’t believe I have to wait till next year just because I don’t! I still have an Xbox 360 for the sole purpose of playing Vancouver 2010 and London 2012.

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I wonder why not every country is involved though. Can it really take more than a couple of minutes to copy-paste the standard uniforms and stuff and change it a bit into the colours of another nation? :p 

Exactly, the creators might think: "Who the heck in this world want to play as Sao Tome Principe or Tuvalu?"

Well, I do!