website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

13 minutes ago, Agger said:

Then you should wake up and pay attention ;)

I have no idea where I would read that kind of stuff. It's not mentioned in normal news because there they are simply called volunteers. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

it looks that the medical commission of the IOC has strongly recommended to change the start times for a few outdoor events...

among others, they asked that the marathon races would start at least at 6 a.m., even better at 5.30 a.m. (instead of the scheduled 7 a.m.) and also the race walking events should be moved back to an earlier start (at least 1 hour, if not more)...

meanwhile the mountain bike cross-country event should begin 1 hour (but it would be better 2 or more hours) later than the current 2 p.m. start...

even beach volley should be affected by this review of the schedule, with no games played between noon and 4 p.m.

IOC would analyze those considerations and take consequential actions in the next few weeks...

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

it looks that the medical commission of the IOC has strongly recommended to change the start times for a few outdoor events...

among others, they asked that the marathon races would start at least at 6 a.m., even better at 5.30 a.m. (instead of the scheduled 7 a.m.) and also the race walking events should be moved back to an earlier start (at least 1 hour, if not more)...

meanwhile the mountain bike cross-country event should begin 1 hour (but it would be better 2 or more hours) later than the current 2 p.m. start...

even beach volley should be affected by this review of the schedule, with no games played between noon and 4 p.m.

IOC would analyze those considerations and take consequential actions in the next few weeks...

And this is based on weather info they didn't have 2 years ago? I always wonder how they can be so bad in preparing these things :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

And this is based on weather info they didn't have 2 years ago? I always wonder how they can be so bad in preparing these things :p 

the article I read was underlining as they were really scared by the heat waves of last Summer, when many people died because of that...

therefore they decided to reconsider some situations based on what happened a few months ago (personally, I think they are overreacting to an abnormal and unusual condition that hopefully won't repeat in 2 years time)...

Edited by phelps

Just now, phelps said:

the article I read was underlining as they were really scared by the heat waves of last Summer, where many people died...

therefore they decided to reconsider some situations based on what happened a few months ago (personally, I think they are overreacting to an abnormal and unusual condition that hopefully won't repeat in 2 years time)...

This! Making decisions for 2020 based on extreme weather in 2018 is utterly absurd bonk.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Koreas will compete together in women's basketball, canoeing and rowing with potential in judo and table tennis.

Link

Qualifying in women's basketball is possible, but for canoeing and rowing, I doubt they would qualify in multi-person boats. Judo is useless as South Korea outranks all North Korean judokas while in table tennis I imagine both nations don't want to limit their players in the team event (unless the IOC/ITTF decides to have a six-person team)

Also I really hope they attempt to qualify using a combined team rather than relying on South Korea to qualify then creating a combined team.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minuti fa, Maxim Fastovsky ha scritto:

while watching Wrestlekingdom13 i decided to check what competitions will the tokyo dome host, and i cant find it anywhere, is this huge classic arena really not part of the olympic games??

no, it's not...

it looks that there have been issues with the NPB's Yomiuri Giants (tenants of the stadium), who are supposed not to play any of their home games during the Olympics, but they've not been assured of that by the League itself yet, so they haven't found any agreement with the Tokyo Organizing Committee