website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Save The Planet Thread

bestmen

5 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Fan death is a well-known belief in Korean culture, where it is thought that running an electric fan in a closed room with unopened or no windows will prove fatal. Despite no concrete evidence to support the concept, belief in fan death persists to this day in Korea, and also to a lesser extent in Japan and Russia.

Link

A Dutch person has just lost a fan.

#banbestmen

9 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Fan death is a well-known belief in Korean culture, where it is thought that running an electric fan in a closed room with unopened or no windows will prove fatal. Despite no concrete evidence to support the concept, belief in fan death persists to this day in Korea, and also to a lesser extent in Japan and Russia.

Link

Luckily I sleep with both my windows opened :d (since the 31 degrees at midnight was still cooler than my bedroom temperature)

I do like fans with a timer knob though, when I had one I generally set it to turn off after an hour or two, because it's kinda useless to have it blowing away for 5-6 hours when you're already asleep.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Agger said:

Though plastic in the ocean is a huge problem, I doubt those pictures are from there. It's mainly tiny fragments (which really makes it worse)

No there’s is what we call the Great Pacific Trash Patch and it does actually look just like that.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

No there’s is what we call the Great Pacific Trash Patch and it does actually look just like that.

I am not doubting that it exists and that it's a huge problem, I'm doubting the pictures as plenty of pictures said to be from the patches have in fact been from lakes and coast lines where it accumulates easily.

Yes those pics won’t be of The Pacific Trash Vortex because like @Agger says, it doesn’t look like a bunch of trash floating on top of the ocean like that. It’s more dispersed and full of micro plastics in every part of the water. So it’s a huge problem but those pics will most likely be from some other lake or something where trash has gathered in huge quantity.

:VIN with 13 Bryde's whales made me google those whales:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryde's_whale#Whaling

One of the photos is from Ilhabela in Brazil and that's pretty much where I'll be going later this year :yikes: Now I kinda really wanna go see some whales :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Canada has destroyed the Atlantic cod population already so it's no wonder they're targeting another species like whales next :dunno:

The East Coast of the US is also hell bent on killing the lobsters so that’s not next. Let me go outside and take a look at the antelope. Oh wait, Southern California already killed all of them off...:redcard:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

When it's 'Aboriginal' we should all find it ok by the way, because it's only tradition so it's fine to drive species to extinction? :)