website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Test Events

Just now, heywoodu said:

The rules say DQ. They broke said rule. DQ is the only option, literally.

Well, yes, if that’s the case it’s a dumb rule, but at least I understand the ITU’s position then.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

17 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Also, publish a press release that says the next athletes to do this will get DSQ’d. I’ve seen people in multiple sports get slaps on the wrists for way worse rule breaks.

As an avid rule follower in sports, I'd like to say it's utter bullshit to give athletes A and B a warning, plus warn everyone else that the rest gets a worse penalty, and then give athletes C and D a significantly worse penalty for the exact same thing.

17 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don't want to hear this match fixing crap from users either. Don’t act like Dutch, Croatian, and Indian athletes haven’t ever “fixed” results themselves.

As an avid follower of matchfixing, I wouldn't dare denying Dutch athletes never fixed results. They got punished for it (as in, quite a long suspension). Pretty sure there's some fishy Croatian tennis players since the Umag tournament is known as a heaven for match fixers, but off the top of my head I can't remember anyone specific.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

I see it as an act of sportsmanship acknowledging each other’s shared achievement.

Like we see in a gazillion sports events...after the finish.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Like we see in a gazillion sports events...after the finish.

I mean quite it just comes down to discrimination, discrediting, and failing to acknowledge a unique nature of endurance events. I have ZERO problem with they did. I’ve helped athletes cross the finish in multiple races. I’ve let racers pass me instead of giving it my all to block them. It’s a question honor and humblity. There’s a big difference between fixing a result for payment, sponsorship, or better ranking, but that’s just simply not the case here.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I mean quite it just comes down to discrimination, discrediting, and failing to acknowledge a unique nature of endurance events. I have ZERO problem with they did. I’ve helped athletes cross the finish in multiple races. I’ve let racers pass me instead of giving it my all to block them. It’s a question honor and humblity. There’s a big difference between fixing a result for payment, sponsorship, or better ranking, but that’s just simply not the case here.

Apart from it being a question of rules, it's indeed also a question of honor: a true athlete goes for the best possible result, no matter against who.

We are not saying they fixed it for money or anything. But they both were involved in a decision which is not theirs. They didn't do justice to their hard work. If they had mutual acknowledgement for each other it could have been shown through competing to win. Saying that endurance races are unique is justified but what if this happens in an Olympic. 

You cannot say make one rules for one event and another for another. That brings injustice. 

Just now, heywoodu said:

Apart from it being a question of rules, it's indeed also a question of honor: a true athlete goes for the best possible result, no matter against who.

Fair and true. Have ever knowing that winning isn’t everything is also very honorable. Sometimes it’s worth living in the moment with your teammates. This is really hitting home as cross country runner. It’s almost like your attacking a huge part of me. I’ve aided teammates in arguably more illegal ways and people didn’t care because they understood that I was sacrificing my race and result from my team, or in the Brits case, their country. 

Both of these athletes went for the best result for :GBR. They both obtained that result and choose to share the moment for their country. It wasn’t at the Olympics, World Championships, or other multi-sports games, so it’s not a big deal since medals aren’t involved. 

Fair and true. Have ever knowing that winning isn’t everything is also very honorable. Sometimes it’s worth living in the moment with your teammates. This is really hitting home as cross country runner. It’s almost like your attacking a huge part of me. I’ve aided teammates in arguably more illegal ways and people didn’t care because they understood that I was sacrificing my race and result from my team, or in the Brits case, their country. 

Both of these athletes went for the best result for :GBR. They both obtained that result and choose to share the moment for their country. It wasn’t at the Olympics, World Championships, or other multi-sports games, so it’s not a big deal since medals aren’t involved. 

Or because it was just not nearly as important of a competition as this one.

It's a big deal, since ranking points are involved. It really, truly is as simple as that.

Just now, Shravan Kumar said:

We are not saying they fixed it for money or anything. But they both were involved in a decision which is not theirs. They didn't do justice to their hard work. If they had mutual acknowledgement for each other it could have been shown through competing to win. Saying that endurance races are unique is justified but what if this happens in an Olympic. 

You cannot say make one rules for one event and another for another. That brings injustice. 

So athletes don't decide who places where now. I mean I know in sports like Badminton that’s normal because most of the elite federations have already paid off officials, but not in triathlon. They did compete to win, and they won together as teammates and countrywomen. I’ve already clarified that it would be more difficult of a situation at the Olympics, but not really since they could use photo finish technology to choose a real winner. :GBR would still get Gold and Silver either way. I’m not saying the rules should or shouldn’t just apply for one event. I’m just saying that while they broke the rule it wasn’t with malicious intent.