website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Test Events

Just now, Shravan Kumar said:

The photo finish is there to determine the winner in case of a tight finish. It is not there for this reason.

It was right to DQ them because FYI there were other athletes who participated in the race and they also had teammates who they had worked alongside for a long period. But they raced each other because they trained to do so.

Like in this case. I didn’t know we get to pick and choose when it is acceptable to use photo finish. I wish we’d stop breaking ties at finish at the Olympics then. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I'm expecting tonight's/tomorrow's men's competition to have a rather big number of viewers though after all this drama. Apparently it's again live on the Eurosport Player :yikes: 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

I'm expecting tonight's/tomorrow's men's competition to have a rather big number of viewers though after all this drama. Apparently it's again live on the Eurosport Player :yikes: 

Well that doesn’t really help me. NBC has the rights, but isn’t showing it on the Olympic Channel (at least as far as I can tell)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Like in this case. I didn’t know we get to pick and choose when it is acceptable to use photo finish. I wish we’d stop breaking ties at finish at the Olympics then. 

Yeah the federation gets to pick and choose when to use photo finish. In this case they chose not to use it because of the rules stating manipulation of finish is a DQ. So I don't see anyone scratching their heads in Olympics about photo finish when there is a DQ as in this situation.

Edited by Shravan Kumar

August's test events so far:

Rowing - Venues everyone agrees on are as ugly as shit (even people who apparently never agree with anyone agree about it)
Open water swimming - The water was practically boiling and the only solution seems to be to start at 5am, when the water is....still practically boiling
Equestrian eventing - Didn't follow it that much, but all posts I've seen about anything but the competition itself seemed to be about ugly venues
Triathlon - Totallympics imploding

Boy, I can't wait what happens when the hockey, sailing and basketball gets underway!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

August's test events so far:

Rowing - Venues everyone agrees on are as ugly as shit (even people who apparently never agree with anyone agree about it)
Open water swimming - The water was practically boiling and the only solution seems to be to start at 5am, when the water is....still practically boiling
Equestrian eventing - Didn't follow it that much, but all posts I've seen about anything but the competition itself seemed to be about ugly venues
Triathlon - Totallympics imploding

Boy, I can't wait what happens when the hockey, sailing and basketball gets underway!

Sailing’s good. They competed at a word cup stage there last year. People had a mostly positive opinion of it. For the record, I have a huge problem judging venues a year to go to the games.

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Sailing’s good. They competed at a word cup stage there last year. People had a mostly positive opinion of it. For the record, I have a huge problem judging venues a year to go to the games.

When should one do it? I have no idea what the best moment would be, but I can somewhat understand it, since closer to the Games might not leave enough time to work out (serious) issues, whereas further away from the Games might result in a situation where too many things are simply not planned to be ready yet.

Just now, heywoodu said:

When should one do it? I have no idea what the best moment would be, but I can somewhat understand it, since closer to the Games might not leave enough time to work out (serious) issues, whereas further away from the Games might result in a situation where too many things are simply not planned to be ready yet.

Right, we should definitely identify issues now. But calling the venues ugly, unusable, and dangerous during while there’re still be constructed is a little over the top. Corrections can be made rather quickly. Plus, no one will really how the venues look until a few months from now. It’s the Olympics for Christ sakes, the venues will be fine.

Just now, heywoodu said:

Don't forget that the water was also full of shit.

"Test results showed levels of E. Coli up to 20 times above the accepted limit and faecal coliform bacteria seven times higher than the permitted levels".