website statistics

Speed Skating 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

heywoodu

That's also because there are so many World Championships: World Single Distances Championships, World Allround Championships, World Sprint Championships. And these are all in February / March, so it doesn't make sense to be at your best now for the World Cups.

40 minutes ago, Dennis said:

That's also because there are so many World Championships: World Single Distances Championships, World Allround Championships, World Sprint Championships. And these are all in February / March, so it doesn't make sense to be at your best now for the World Cups.

Exactly. I don't even remember a time where (world class) skaters really had the World Cup as a focus. I have to Google to even see who on earth won the World Cup classifications the past few years, because I have no idea.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

17 minutes ago, dcro said:

I mean, didn't Kramer denounce 10000 m already??

Not entirely, he's just not the best anymore :p Pretty sure losing his track record in 'his' Thialf hurt though.

Plus there's always still the rumours going around he wants 'his' 5 and 10k world records back. Which isn't gonna happen, but that's besides the point.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Not entirely, he's just not the best anymore :p Pretty sure losing his track record in 'his' Thialf hurt though.

Plus there's always still the rumours going around he wants 'his' 5 and 10k world records back. Which isn't gonna happen, but that's besides the point.

Someone should really inform Sven that Ted-Jan took his world records and threw them on the ground, might provide him with some motivation :P

The Belgian women would make their team pursuit debut in the World Cup this season, but Sandrine Tas has been injured and they'll miss at least the first four World Cups.

Claudia Pechstein won her 39th national title today by winning the 5000m. Also, she was the only participant (Roxanne Dufter and Michelle Uhrig withdrew, Martina Sablikova competed without being eligible for the title of course).

Claudia Pechstein won her 39th national title today by winning the 5000m.

Wow, that's impressive!

Also, she was the only participant (Roxanne Dufter and Michelle Uhrig withdrew, Martina Sablikova competed without being eligible for the title of course).

...okay, maybe not that impressive.

Edited by NearPup

Just now, NearPup said:

Wow, that's impressive!

...okay, maybe not that impressive.

It's a little sad where German speedskating is nowadays. I miss the times of sweet Anni Friesinger, who'd always show up for an interview on Dutch TV in nearly fluent Dutch.

Edited by heywoodu

Just now, heywoodu said:

It's a little sad where German speedskating is nowadays. I miss the times of sweet Anni Friesinger, who'd always show up for an interview on Dutch TV in nearly fluent Dutch.

I think the fans mostly miss their names. :p

Gunda Niemann-Stirnemann

Monique Garbrecht-Enfeldt

Karin Enke-Richter-Kania-Busch

Christa Luding-Rothenberger

Andrea Ehrig-Mitscherlich

Gabi Schoenbrunn-Zange

Anke Baier-Loef

Daniela Anshuetz-Thoms

#banbestmen